Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Atwood Water Heater GE16EXT Thermal Cut0Off Failure

We had the thermal cut-off fail on our Atwood water Heater model GE16EXT this weekend.

We arrived at the campground on Friday and got everything set up. That evening I noticed no hot water at the faucet. I turned on the propane side and it would not fire up.

I called Bennett's RV in Granbury on Saturday morning and explained to the service manager, Jesse, the problem. He had me remove and bypass the thermal cut-off relay. I checked the system and it would fire up on propane and it would heat on electric.

I picked up a replacement thermal cut-off at Tyler RV that afternoon. The package comes with a pair, so now I have a back-up. We encountered no problems with the operation of the water heater after replacing the thermal cut-off.

I've never had one of these fail on my previous Atwood water heaters. Is this a sign of a problem with the water heater or an infant part failure? We've used our camper for a total of 20 nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	29937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2543.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	29938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2540.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	29939  

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hey Russ, That looks simple enough "plug and play". Sounds like having a spare is a good idea. How much are they?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I have never had one burn out on either of my units. Looking at the picture it looks like it got hot on the control board side of the cutoff. I would also check and see what the wiring looks like where it plugs into the control board.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
still has a good idea to check things out, but I'd bet it's an infancy electrical failure. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
We had the thermal cut-off fail on our Atwood water Heater model GE16EXT this weekend.

I've never had one of these fail on my previous Atwood water heaters. Is this a sign of a problem with the water heater or an infant part failure?
I never had one fail either. I was under the thought that it protected the WH while on gas...during a flame up outside the burner tube. The cut-off is just a fuseable link that melts and turns off the gas. Even though we have a different WH now, without the link, it's good to know that it affects the electric side also.

Unless it happens again, I would treat it as a one time thing and possibly a weak link wire. Still...I couldn't see where the connecting wire got hot? Which photo....at least it's not like the one in the article below.

Here's an interesting article....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Work, what I'm talking about is the picture of the fuse link. On the left side the male end of the link is black. That would tell me that there may be some damage elsewhere in the wiring. Then again there may not. My main concern would be the plug that connects to the control board.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We are so disgusted with the quality of the new appliances in our new Excel that I believe it's cheap parts and shoddy workmanship (of the appliances; not the Excel). So far we've had issues with the Manabloc, Dometic Microwave/Convection, Coleman Air Conditioner, and Sureflo Fan. I think the Norcold refrigerator and the water heater are doing okay. And neither Coleman or Dometic will warranty pay for a certified repair person to come to your RV; they expect you to close up your house and haul it into town. That's crappy poor customer service if you ask me. So we had to pay for service call and repair time ($110) to get our AC working (3d control board). So much for having a warranty. And these companies have you by the kahunas and they know it. Thanks. I feel a little better but we're still out $110.

Tags
atwood, heater, water