Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Auto Slide Type Hitches

Would like recommendations on an auto slide type hitch. I wouldn't want to crunch the back window and crease the body work on my short bed 3500 series Dodge pickup (again).

Currently using a Reese 16K hitch.

PPL in Houston has both Demco and PullRite hitches on their web site. That's the only two I'm familiar with.

Brad
Santa Fe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crunch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	77615  
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

Brad,
I've used a Pullrite Super Glide 16k in two SB trucks for the past 10 years. Very solid, easy to use hitch. I've mentioned here before that the comfort level for tight turns is great, I just had to make a very tight turn this morning in a Delaware rest area, you never even think about it.

Just as important for me is the outstanding spring loaded hitching system. The collar that wraps around the pin is super safe and secure, unlike hitches with a pinch type set up. Once I back up and hear that spring loaded latch fire the hitch is secure. If you see the release arm has pulled in to the detent and a visual check from the rear shows the collar around the pin you are 100% hitched, no pull test is necessary. It's been extremely reliable, after 8 years the dealer suggested we replace the collar mechanism since it was getting worn but we put it in our new truck in 2012 and it's worked great with the new 31IKE on the first two trips. You'll pay a slight weight penalty compared to conventional hitches. I weighed the hitch and mounts, 210# add in the frame brackets and you're at 250#, probably about +100# vs something like the B&W Companion Russell uses.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Brad,

Thanks for the recommendation of the PullRite 16K hitch. The type of locking mechanism is important to me. I don't like the way the jaws work on the Reese hitch I have now. They may have been a factor when the previous owner dropped the Excel on the bed to the truck on his last trip before transferring it to me. The Excel's only damage was the front light whereas the truck had to have the bed replaced.

I think I've read that Reese uses a one piece jaw now, but I haven't run across an automatic sliding hitch.

I do like a locking mechinism where there's no question about whether it's firmly locked in place. I think the Demco uses a solid bar to lock the pin in place.

Since we both have the same first name, I'll sign off as:

Brad C. Santa Fe, NM
Old 10-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

Demco makes a slide hitch on the order of the pull-rite super glide. Thinking about that when we get a new truck. We were at the factory when they told us about it.
65bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
The newer Excels with the rounded front caps do not require a sliding hitch with a standard bed 6.5' truck. Your '06 has the square front cap and you learned the hard way that a sliding hitch is needed.

The Pullrite Superglide is the most popular auto slider. Demco's slider is a good piece of equipment. Either will do the job if autoslide is what you want.

B&W now has a manual slider. If manual is OK, check it out. They make good stuff in the USA.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

We have an 18k Superglide. Works as designed, easy to hitch and unhook, no slop in the mechanism on ours. Trailer is sob but has a Moryde pinbox.
Its a good setup.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

I was just looking at the Reese Sidewinder which replaces the stock pin box. I would think that would put more stress on the Excel frame up front. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #8

I've always thought the Sidewinder was cleaver idea. Not only does it put the pivot point behind the king-pin but when unhitch you can rotate it out of the way. The one I saw at a campground was on a trailer a lot lighter than the Excels.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have the Demco Autoslide and like it very much. Don't give it a second thought- fully automatic. One negative is it weighs around 285 lbs if memory serves me right.

Don
Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #10

The Sidewinder certainly moves the trailer further away from the cab but it's all the time. For me the shorter pin to bumper tow length except when needed is what I'm after with an automatic slide hitch vs the Sidewinder solution.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #11

The sidewinder does not move the trailer back it moves the pivot point back. So instead of pivoting on the 5th wheel it pivots on the Pin Box. this moves the pivot back 22in. Most sliding hitches give you roughly a foot or more. Pull Rite and Demco are both heavy hitches however Pull right requires you modify the trailer to use it so you have to remove the mods to let anyone else pull the trailer. Many shops weld on the Pull Rite plate to the trailer that means until the plate is cut off the trailer it can't be pulled by anyone without the Pull Rite hitch. A few years back one of our customers had his truck break down the wrecker came and towed his truck but when they went to get the trailer off the side of the road they charged him several hundred dollars to have a welder come out and cut the plate off so they could hook on to it. From my perspective the Sidewinder would be my first choice if it would work Demco would be second choice and a manual slider 3rd. Pull right is a great hitch but I would never want one.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #12

The Pullrite capture plate on my previous FW was welded on and a metal shop doing some custom work for me discovered they couldn't move it with their standard hitch, I had to go up and hitch and move it for them. Fortunately they've cured the weld on capture plate issue. With our new 31IKE the the plate just secures with four horizontal allen head bolts. It's easily removable if necessary, the tech bolted it on in a couple minutes.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #13

We have the Pull Rite auto hitch and it is amazing. We did have to have the capture plate welded on but when we bought the hitch we bought an adaptor also that allows it to be pulled with any hitch. And when our truck broke down on a trip they had to pull the fiver elsewhere for us and using the adaptor worked beautifully!! The customer service at pull rite has always been amazing- whenever we have called, had a question( because we moved it from one truck to another) they have been awesome!! I would highly recommend it to anyone
Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I used the Super Glide for years and was pleased with it. It appears they have eliminated some of the main issues I had problems with.
On the Super Glide you have to be darn near straight-on to hook or unhook. If you have much of an angle at all you can't get out from under it.

Tags
slide