Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Awning.

Hi folks, I retracted my Dometic awning this morning to travel and now that I am at my destination for 30 days I attempted to let my awning out and all it does is click when I press the button. It won't go out or in (already all the way in). I checked the fuse and it's ok, even tried to move from the roof and couldn't budge it. Help!! Any ideas
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
JDT

I would pull the switch out and check to see if any wires have come loose.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your woes. First please tell us which model Dometic awning you have. If it clicks that means you have power (at least to the control module). You also should have a set of jumper wires that plug in near the motor head and you can jump to a reliable battery source. I use the truck. Check in your Dometic owner's manual as it describe what I told you and has pix. DO BE CAREFUL with working around the awning as it can be very dangerous. By jumping the motor to a battery you can prove the motor operation. If it goes in and out OK then you need to be looking at wiring or control box, otherwise more than likely you have a motor/mechanism issue. HTHs, rockin'

I'm just giving some very general info as I don't know what model you have. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Rockin,

It has been determined that I have the 8500. I have a few things to try today. I let you know what happens. Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
Rockin,

It has been determined that I have the 8500. I have a few things to try today. I let you know what happens. Thanks
Reese, I think you have a 9100.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Try this:

https://www.dometic.com/5f4bb454-f85...04150276.fodoc

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Rockin,

I don't think the 8500 is electric. I have to agree with Doc it's more than likely a 9100 if it doesn't have a wind sensor (Weather Pro). Let us know how the manual jumper wires setup work out. These are supplied with the delivery of the new trailer. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
So I tried hooking the connection to my truck battery using jumper cables and all that happens is a click when power is applied. I think the electrical motor is kaputs. This is my expert analysis..

Warranty is for 2 years. We will be in Smith Center on the 30th of September which is within the 2 year warranty and will get it changed or fixed then
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

The was a recall on some of the Dometic motors. I am not sure if your is part of the recall. There is some info in other threads on this site. You might do a search and find it.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like a good diagnosis to me. The Dometic motors are weaker then an hot bowl of hen urine. Has the motor been laboring? If the spring in the awning is not wound the correct number of turns (or broke), it can put undue stress on the motor. When you see the motor you'll wonder how it works as good as it does. Good thing it's still under warranty as it ain't cheap.

Just one more word of advice. Even when everything is good and set up right, if you use this awning in a repeated fashion (open and close it) like cycling it 6-7 times in a row, you will fail (overheat) the motor. It's not designed to be used like that. Grand kids or someone like me at a HH may just like watching the awning go in and out.!!! Just sayin' rockin'
Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Rockin
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Rockin
At your service, Reese! You didn't answer my "has the motor been laboring?" rockin'
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
RT,

Yes it has been, I have notice that it was in Alabama and it has been move in and out several times since leaving there (August 15) due to tree frogs residing in the arms. We finally manage to get rid of all the darn frogs 3 days later in Nashville TN. Although this very morning I discover a frog corpse on my carpet in the back room. Must have crawled in there to escape my frog hunt endeavor.

This morning I am calling Ralph to arranged a repair when we are there at the end of September.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Then a motor it is! I'm sure Ralph and his team will check to make sure the awning spring is loaded and operating correctly when they replace the motor. On my '10 model the spring was not wound enough when installed at the factory. Each length of awning is wound a different amount. I know.......TMI! rockin

Tags
awning