Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #1

Awning Finally Blew Off

Well, it finally happened, a gust of wind smoked the dometic cassette awning. I have never like this style of awning, it seems weak by design. The smallest winds seem to blow it straight up, like the bill of a baseball cap. I have caught it at almost a 40 degree angle, straight up in the air but was able to retract it manually before it came apart. As mentioned numerous times on this forum, the wind sensor is of no use, it has never worked. I wonder if it because the awning never contorts side to side, it just goes straight up while remaining level across the front? Anyways, it was calm, a gust of wind came through, the awning blew straight up in the air. The 3 arms broke from awning side and slid down the side of the trailer, a few paint gouges but not terrible. then the entire awning came to rest, draped like a curtain to the ground! The folks I was camped with all have electric awnings that have "down" arms on each side. Thiers barely moved.
6K to replace the awning and repair the paint damage! Insurance covered it under comprehension, so not terrible. I asked for a different style awning, one with the arms on the side but was told it just would not fit due to the dining slide. Oh well, I may never use it again, and if so maybe stake it to the ground. Some discourage staking it to the ground in case the wind sensor does work and it tried to retract while staked would not be good! If staked would the fabric just tear, it also tends to bellow and then if I had to bring it in I would have to get the ropes off.......

Morale of the story, hec if I know. Have awning for looks and buy and EZ UP!
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The next RV you buy won't have that kind of awning I can guarantee it...LOL.

Things we learn the hard way.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
So sorry to hear about your awning. The later model Power Dometic awning with the windsensor in the arm (model 9200) is useless for retracting for sure. They just don't work. If you understand how the windsensor is SUPPOSED to work, you'd understand why it doesn't work. I don't have experience with other brands, but sure would check them for sure.

I thought the optional spendy Dometic 9500 worked OK (wind sensor actually worked), but the awning has very little pitch on it (goes out almost flat). Gives little shade/protection. Also it worked on 110V not 12V. Just saying.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I have the same cassette awning and my plan is to use two poles, two ratchet straps, and two 5 gal buckets. I will attach a pole long enough to touch the ground to each end of the awning. I will place the buckets in a large plastic flower pot and fill the buckets with water. I will run the ratchet straps from the awning to the buckets to hold the awning down against the poles. I will place artificial flowers in the flower pots to cover the buckets. I will unplug the awning from the 110 vac receptacle in the upper cabinet next to the TV in the bedroom. (I keep the awning unplugged when I am not using it, AKA all the time.)

That has been my plan for about 7 years now. Never been anywhere long enough to put the plan to paper and execute it. I have only used the awning twice. The last time was just like Mike's experience. I was in the shade one second and in the sun the next. A small gust of wind sent the awning straight up 90 degrees. Fortunately, no damage, but I never have used it again.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Mine doesn't have a plug that I know of. I believe it was the 9500 series, but did work off of 12 volt. Unless it is inverted somewhere I don't know about. I will look into it some more once I get it back. It could only be opened or closed us the remote. It said "Simu" on the remote. I believe the so called wind sensor was the same. It was a white box attached to the front off the awning rail. It had three arms that extended the awning out, and folded in upon retraction. I really don't blame the wind sensor. It is battery operated and I have no idea how old the batteries were, but even when they were new, it never worked. I can only guess when it goes off level, side to side it sends a signal to retract, but if it goes straight up in the air, it would still show level. I don't know, another thing I will look into.
The arms broke off the connections at the motors, 3 motors, 1 for each arm. They stayed attached to the front rail. Once they broke off they fell down the side, damaging the paint.

I like the idea of the poles, and weighted buckets. I was thinking of something similar, but maybe use rope with a knot that I can just pull on to disconnect so I can retract it. Even tied down, if a strong wind comes through I think the fabric would rip cause it seems to flap around alot as well. I used "deflappers" on my old RV. worked very well, but no where to attach them on this awning.I will see, as Tom mentioned, does not provide much shade,. but on a hot CALM day, it did shade that side of the rig, helping to cool the interior.

Not a good photo, but all I can find. I spent about an hour trying to get it off the rig so I could drive home. Had no idea what to do, just took every bolt and screw off, hit it with a hammer and it fell off. Drug it to the dumpster and left it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	328907  
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:47 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mike,

In our trailer, in the cabinet above the dresser and left of the TV, is a 110 vac receptacle and a 12 vdc automotive style socket mounted in the ceiling. Our 110 vac awning plugs into the empty 110 vac receptacle. I assume the empty 12 vdc socket of for a 12 vdc awning.

Name:	Bedroom dresser area.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	329003

Name:	Awning plug.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	329002
Old 05-21-2021, 05:59 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Carl, you are correct on the 110V plug in, but the 12V hook up for power awning is behind those boxes (IIRC). The 12V socket is installed in all Excels to use for whatever you want (low current of course) like a 12V TV.

Something I didn't mention in previous posts. No matter what kind of power awning you have (even a proper working one), if you experience a whirling dervish or down draft event, the awning doesn't have the ability to retract in time before damage is done. Several years ago we were in a park in Ft. Collins, CO meeting some Excel friends. Our friends parked next to us weren't at home in the middle of the day. They had just had a new Dometic 9200 installed on their rig at RV Sales. Long story short. I heard a noise outside and looked at the window and saw the whirling dervish coming our way and was very close. The thing hit our friends Excel and their extended awning was destroyed by the time it was over. It all happened in a matter seconds. They weren't happy when they got home for sure. I believe insurance paid for a new one. Just sayin'.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Carl, you are correct on the 110V plug in, but the 12V hook up for power awning is behind those boxes (IIRC). The 12V socket is installed in all Excels to use for whatever you want (low current of course) like a 12V TV.

Something I didn't mention in previous posts. No matter what kind of power awning you have (even a proper working one), if you experience a whirling dervish or down draft event, the awning doesn't have the ability to retract in time before damage is done. Several years ago we were in a park in Ft. Collins, CO meeting some Excel friends. Our friends parked next to us weren't at home in the middle of the day. They had just had a new Dometic 9200 installed on their rig at RV Sales. Long story short. I heard a noise outside and looked at the window and saw the whirling dervish coming our way and was very close. The thing hit our friends Excel and their extended awning was destroyed by the time it was over. It all happened in a matter seconds. They weren't happy when they got home for sure. I believe insurance paid for a new one. Just sayin'.
Thanks for the correction on the 12 vdc socket, Rockin'. Never have used it.

We had our awning practically destroyed during our first out of state trip to Eagle Nest, NM. The dealer where I bought the trailer installed the slide-out toppers I bought while the trailer was inside their shop. They tested everything and made sure the cassette awning cleared the topper brackets. Well, they do on a calm day, like the inside of the shop. In the wind, the awning was moving just enough to catch the slide-out topper bracket. We drove home with the awning cassette open about 6 inches and strapped down with ratcheting straps. Sweated that trip all the way home. The dealer accepted responsibility and repaired the awning. Only used it once after that and that was the day it turned into a vertical sail.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

I have had nothing but problems with awnings on every one of my 5er trailers. The last event driving through death Valley into Bakersfield apron arriving looked up to see my entire awning gone and just the brackets left on the sides and top of the trailer. No noise, no awning or arms, just gone. I even bought an awning clamp to prevent it from leaving... it was gone too just screw holes left behind. The worst part was that two weeks before I had just replaced the fabric and internal springs and remounted. I now have no awning and don’t miss it. It has always just been a giant sail waiting to get ripped away by a gust of wind a sparrow could fly through. Even the aftermarket awning clamps that use a handle to lock the tube to the trailer walls don’t work. The awning lock to prevent it unwinding while traveling do no good because the teeth in the ratchet system are small and made from cast aluminum. Very poorly made in China, disposable junk!! Having been a fabricator all my life; they are undersized and not well built. Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I have had nothing but problems with awnings on every one of my 5er trailers. The last event driving through death Valley into Bakersfield apron arriving looked up to see my entire awning gone and just the brackets left on the sides and top of the trailer. No noise, no awning or arms, just gone. I even bought an awning clamp to prevent it from leaving... it was gone too just screw holes left behind. The worst part was that two weeks before I had just replaced the fabric and internal springs and remounted. I now have no awning and donít miss it. It has always just been a giant sail waiting to get ripped away by a gust of wind a sparrow could fly through. Even the aftermarket awning clamps that use a handle to lock the tube to the trailer walls donít work. The awning lock to prevent it unwinding while traveling do no good because the teeth in the ratchet system are small and made from cast aluminum. Very poorly made in China, disposable junk!! Having been a fabricator all my life; they are undersized and not well built. Paul R. Haller
I thought I was the only one who thought awnings are not worth the trouble.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning