Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Bathroom vent Mod

I posted a while back, about my noisy bathroom vent. After a bit of looking, I found this PWM motor speed controller.I figured there would be enough room inside the fan housing, to mount the controller and I think it worked pretty well. Here's a pic of the controller I bought.

I started by removing the fan assembly from the ceiling. I could see something inside the duct and stuck my hand up in it. I found a good-sized mud dauber's nest and a bunch of dirt inside the fan shroud.

There's also a bunch more dirt inside the duct. It will need to be vacuumed out, before I put the fan back in.

I started the install by mounting the controller in the shroud assembly. It partially blocks the fan, but I seriously doubt it will do any harm. I also cut the motor wires out of the plug and wired them to the controller.

I then attached the power wires to the supply side of the controller and routed them to the outside of the housing.

Next, was mounting the potentiometer. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the center of the grille and mounted it there. There's just enough clearance, for the grille to fit back in place..

It's getting cold, dark and late. It's also supposed to start snowing, so I'll install it and get a couple more pics later..
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Nice job Gary. And super pix. I'm a bit nervous seeing the rust on the screws on the motor. I don't think they still used the white roof vent with plastic louvers pointed toward the rear of the coach (these vents designed for vents on a slope and not flat roofs). If you do, replace it with a regular roof vent like the black and grey have. The plastic one would let water in with a blowing rain and the water comes right in across the motor and onto the bathroom floor. Let me know what you find. I can give more details on the repair. I think they only had those on 05-06 models though. rockin'

PS....did controlling the fan speed change the noise level of the fan like you thought??? Do you feel it was worth it?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Nice job Gary. And super pix. I'm a bit nervous seeing the rust on the screws on the motor. I don't think they still used the white roof vent with plastic louvers pointed toward the rear of the coach I think they only had those on 05-06 models though. rockin'
Thanks Tom..

I did glance on the roof and only saw round vent covers. I'll look more closely, when I get a chance. I honestly think the rusty screws, are from steam. Nothing above the fan, looks like it's ever been wet.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
PS....did controlling the fan speed change the noise level of the fan like you thought??? Do you feel it was worth it?
Like I said.. It's cold and late and raining now.. I'll put it in and test it when I can..
Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Thanks Tom..

I did glance on the roof and only saw round vent covers. I'll look more closely, when I get a chance. I honestly think the rusty screws, are from steam. Nothing above the fan, looks like it's ever been wet.
You're probably right on the steam bit......but check that roof vent....it'll be the vent near the center of the roof side to side. Just voice of experience as we had the bad vent on our '05 and when the wind was blowing just right, the rain would pour in. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
it'll be the vent near the center of the roof side to side.
That would be odd, since the duct is less than 4' from the side of the coach and when I took that pic, I was facing the street side. It looks like the duct goes up and over where the W/D are....
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
You made me dig deep in the bowels of my photos to find this. Here's my roof with the old style Ventline bathroom roof vent.
Click on pic to expand to view better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030336.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	84293  
Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really do not like PWM controllers (they mess with my radios) but I did quiet down the fan.. When the motor failed, I replaced the one fan with 3 or 4 (Depending on which bath) computer wisper fans, More air flow, less noise.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #9

I thought the whole idea of a vent was to make more desirable noise!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I managed to get the fan installed and tested today. I'm really impressed! I hooked it up and tested the controller. It worked perfectly!

I was worried that the potentiometer might keep the grille from sitting flush against the ceiling. It actually worked great. I had to slightly bend one of the grille hangars, since it wouldn't hold the grille flush before the mod. I think it turned out great and I found out that I didn't have to reduce the fan speed much, to eliminate the wobble. Best part is, that I can get to the washer/dryer, without hitting my head on the knob!

I think this was a very worthwhile mod and I would recommend it for anyone else, having the issue I was having. BTW: this fan assembly has a shroud, that goes into a piece of 3" duct. Computer muffin fans would not have worked, in this application.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

Looks good Gary! Nice job!
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Nice mod, thanks for sharing.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Btw....you don't have to remove the entire assembly from the vent hose in order to do this mod. The inside portion of the assembly unclips which removes the motor and fan. But it's a good thing you did since you found the mud wad.

Tags
vent