Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Best Place to Spend an Excel Winter

Okay not sure if there is a thread for this already but here goes. As newbies to full timing last year, we found it frustrating to find that place to comfortably and safely park our Excel fifth wheel for the winter months while enjoying pleasant weather, having things to do, places to go, and enjoyable company to hang with. After doing some research (Woodalls directory, talking with other experienced RVers, surfing the net, trying out somes places in Texas), we were fortunate enough to end up at Bentsen Palm Village RV Resort in Mission, Texas. We had a great experience meeting good friends, having lots to do and places to visit, good places to chow down, shopping close by and an awesome RV park to boot. Life is good. Realizing that there are different strokes for different folks (weather, Mosquitos, wind, crowds, age differences, terrain, gas prices, cost of RV park, advance non refundable 4-6 months payments, golf courses, restaurants, hiking trails, dog parks, and many other factors), and knowing that "variety is the spice of life", we would like other RVers to share with us where their best winter place(s) is/was and hopefully we can some winter also share that enjoyment.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were in the Keys last winter. Very nice and very $$$$. This year we are back to Mission with some time possibly in South Padre Island. This will be third time in Mission area. Maybe we'll see you there.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Tim...thanks for the info. Where in Mission do you stay? We have a problem with having to prepay at BPV for the number of months we intend to stay, and absolutely no refunds if we leave early. Do you encounter this also where you stay?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop
Tim...thanks for the info. Where in Mission do you stay? We have a problem with having to prepay at BPV for the number of months we intend to stay, and absolutely no refunds if we leave early. Do you encounter this also where you stay?
We stay at BPV only now. I find that few, if any, will refund money when we left early. I like the facilities the best at BPV, especially the craft / wood shop. We don't pay them until we get there for our stay. There is a deposit but then again most places do ask for one or they want your CC show that if you are a no show, they are not totally w/o income. That's just good business sense.

We've made some great friends there and will see them again this year. I understand that the have new management and things are better now. We never had issues there, so I'm or sure what better is. I do know I feel safe and secure there.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tim. Have u stayed anywhere in NM or AZ? And speaking of BPV; we really loved it there last winter and have reservations for this winter. But having to prepay over $3000 for the number of months we plan to stay does not sit well with us. That is much different than a deposit. The Mosquitos were horrible last winter and if that holds true this winter we will not stay but would have to because we'd forfeit all that $. So that's why we r asking about other Excel(lent) places. Just checking for options.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Many Excel-ers go to Justins Diamond "J" near Tucson.. Clean, safe, quiet. but no add ons like pool, crafts. Nice big sites on the egde of the desert. No bugs! Just Javalina lol. Awesome hiking trails. Tucson has good resturants, golf and shopping. If you want a full service RV "resort" this park is not for you. Also very reasonably priced.. Like under $500 a month. If your thinking about NM just remenber..we do get snow here lol, except the very south around Las Cruces.. but it is possible
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did stay one winter in Deming, NM and really enjoyed it. It's a very small town but there is a lot to do around the place. There's City of Rocks, Silver City, Las Cruces and much more. Lots of history there too.

One of the best things around there is the St. Claire winery. They sure do brew some good wine. You can buy it straight from the keg w/o preservatives. Quite different and very good. You can also make your own blends.

They have a pool, Walmart nearby and good New Mexican eateries.

The weather can get into the 30's - 40's at night but usually warms up pretty good during the day. It's high desert. so that's usually LOW humidty.

Tucson and southern AZ is also a nice place to winter. I guess I'm a little prejudice to the RGV because of the abundence of really good fresh fruit and vegatables available.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #8

It can get cold, snow and have ice about anywhere. Winter of 2004-2005 it snowed in the Valley at Xmas. Winter of 2010, Feb had ice on ground in Valley. All those things are unusual but can happen. Yuma Az back in 2006 it was below freezing three nights in a row. If you like dry go west. I find I feel much better and my aces and pains go away in the southwest. All that said we are trying Aransas Pass, Tx this winter. We have done the hill country of Tx and it can get cold; in the teens. We seldom stay in same place twice; after all these things have wheels for a reason.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRET
It can get cold, snow and have ice about anywhere. Winter of 2004-2005 it snowed in the Valley at Xmas. Winter of 2010, Feb had ice on ground in Valley. All those things are unusual but can happen. Yuma Az back in 2006 it was below freezing three nights in a row. If you like dry go west. I find I feel much better and my aces and pains go away in the southwest. All that said we are trying Aransas Pass, Tx this winter. We have done the hill country of Tx and it can get cold; in the teens. We seldom stay in same place twice; after all these things have wheels for a reason.
You're right about the weather. Even in the Keys last year, the weather was off a little bit. It wasn't cold but it sure was windy a lot more than I expected.

We were in the RGV for the Feb 10 freeze and that was cold. Last year we were in Chicago in March and spent 2 weeks in shorts. Go figure. We also did Corpus Christi and we needed jeans & jackets or sweats.

You are right about on thing. These thing have wheels, thank goodness!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

We are going to stay in Albuquerque from last week in November until mid-January. Since we lived there for 15 years, we know the weather is not that bad. Cold, yes. But cold doesn't matter to us so much.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth
We are going to stay in Albuquerque from last week in November until mid-January. Since we lived there for 15 years, we know the weather is not that bad. Cold, yes. But cold doesn't matter to us so much.
Where will you stay in Albuquerque?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #12

We will stay in Albuquerque North KOA. It's actually in Bernalillo, right off the I-25. We stayed there for 3 months in the spring. Great park for us.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #13

Looks like we'll be in Yuma this winter. A friend from that area suggested that we look on Craigslist. There are many private lots for rent during the winter season. The guy we are renting from has 2 RV lots in addition to the place he lives. We checked it out on google maps, and it looks ok - if not, then that's why we have wheels

Tags
excel