Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Broken Screws for Brake Line Retainers.

I know some of you were chuckling when I talked about doing a general visual inspection on the under carriage of the rig when I lube the coach. Well today I did my 3 month spinning of the tires to help eliminate tire flat spotting and lube the coach. While inspecting I noticed that both axles had broken screws for the hydraulic brake line retainers. They were both on the curbside. The pix show the areas described. On the front axle I saw where 2 screws were broken off, making me think that the one of the screws was broken at the factory. My best guess is that they were overtorqued. Anyhow, the lines where loose and you can see 2 areas that the lines were contacting and rubbing (see pix). As most of you know that on the disk brake system if you loose hydraulic pressure in any area of the system, you've lost all trailer brakes!!! I'm sure it would have taken some time for that to happen to mine, but eventually it would have happened if I hadn't caught this on my inspection. So "even if" you have "no lube bushings" and don't have to lube your rig......crawl under there and check things out from time to time, you'd be amazed what you may see!!! This ain't rocket science folks! rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 001 (Copy).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	84649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 002 (Copy).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	84650  

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 003A (Copy).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	84651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 007 (Copy).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	84652  

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 010A (Copy).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	84653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 013 (Copy).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	84654  

Name:	Excel Brake Line Retainers Stud Broken 014 (Copy).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	84655  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice catch!..call me over cautious but I sure dont like the idea of screws drilled through the axle tube.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
...Well today I did my 3 month spinning of the tires to help eliminate tire flat spotting and lube the coach....
Nice catch.

I do my tire spinning every couple of weeks the old fashion way, by TOWING the trailer. What a concept.

I don't think my rig has ever sat in one spot for 90 days. Heaven forbid....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Doc,

Maybe after you retire and FT for 10 years...you'll take it a little easier, instead of rushing from place to place making a check mark on your score sheet!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Doubt we will ever be settlers. We have always been pioneers. Doubt that will change until we physically can't move often.

Out travel style lends itself to a Class A. But the roominess of the 5th wheel has spoiled us.

Our goals and objectives are different. I make no appologies.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Our goals and objectives are different. I make no appologies.
And me either! If we all had the same wants and needs what a boring world it would be. Sounds like we both win!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
If we all had the same wants and needs what a boring world it would be.

Yeah... Then we all would be just like you!

Seriously though... Wouldn't some chafing blocks and quality zip-ties be better than drilling/tapping the axle tubes?
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Yeah... Then we all would be just like you!

Seriously though... Wouldn't some chafing blocks and quality zip-ties be better than drilling/tapping the axle tubes?
Lord have mercy......the world couldn't stand another one like me. One is enough!!!

Not a bad idea, but I'd be concerned about the lines moving/shifting on the axle over a period of time. No tapping, used a bit larger self tapping screw which I keep on hand. Not a big deal. My main point to this thread is to get down and look at your rig (in this case, undercarriage) cause safety issues may be involved. rockin'
Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Yep.. There is no substitute for a good "Look for yourself. "!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #10

Tom-thanks for reminders & pics. Boss said he checks but got to thinking about it & went under. We are fastened same as you but everything okay. Have you been following Excel Facebook on the holding tank size? Would like your input on that issue. And on that note-why don't owner manuals tell you the size of tanks, basic wiring & plumbing schematics? Most stuff they put in there, most know.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

PS-in our manual the winterization instructions don't even match our unit.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Rockin doesn't do Facebook. Like me. My wife does tge Facebook for both of us haha.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Rockin doesn't do Facebook. I like that line Chief sounds like something a character from the Sopranos would say but in Jersey speak that would be Rockin doen't dooo fazebook

copilot our manual was a mismatch too including the picture of the valves, had to call Ralph to get it straight.

Tom, nobody is chuckling, you've revealed more things everyone needs to maintain than Peterson. The FT lifestyle really tests the trailer systems and I appreciate when you point out stuff like this. I'll be rolling under my unit to take a good look before I leave on a 3000 mile trip, thanks for all the tips.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Bown and raised in NewwJoisey..but left 38 yeas agooo...you got a problem wit dat?

Tags
brake, scr