Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

Broken water heater

looking for info on mixing valve in hot water heater. Does not allow hot water to flow through. Any help please.
65bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Not much to go on here so I will take a shot in the dark. If you have an outside wash/rinse off hose you may want to insure both valve H and C are off this will allow the water to not "by pass" or mix and be on the cold side. Hope this helps,
BillandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

You do not have a mixing valve. You have a bypass valve used to winterize your water heater. some have 1 valve. some have 2 valves, some have 3 valves. do a search on water heater bypass and you wi find hours of reading. I have only one valve. I close it and drain the heater in the winter. If you have no water in your heater you need to open it. never trun on your water heater on electric without water in it.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you not getting any hot water out at all? If so it could be the check valve, most have one or two, one to let hot water out and one to let hot water in. I just replaced both mine this summer, just matter of getting the old ones out (easier said then done) and putting in the new.

I got mine off Amazon, $12 a piece of memory right?
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Are you not getting any hot water out at all? If so it could be the check valve, most have one or two, one to let hot water out and one to let hot water in. I just replaced both mine this summer, just matter of getting the old ones out (easier said then done) and putting in the new.

I got mine off Amazon, $12 a piece of memory right?
Please explain this? there are no check valves on my water heater. What do you mean Hot water in? Water in is cold and the heater heats it. No need for check valve. Water out is hot and needs no check valve.

Please provide a picture if said check valves.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
your valve probably is set on bypass , think whats different from the last time you used it .I remember this happened to me and I had turned mine to bypass to drain the water holding tank for a flush to clean and forgot to turn it back on when I realized what was going on turned the valve back to city and all was well . hope this works for you.
philbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Mixing Valve used on Atwood XT Model water heaters
10 gal tank.heat water to 160*F then hot out goes directly into Mixing Valve where cold water mixes and outlet temp is controlled to 130*F
Equivalent 16 gal of HOT water from a 10 gal tank......

Mixing valves clog up due to hard water minerals and then NO HOT WATER

Some folks have had success by removing Mixing Valve and cleaning by soaking in CLR, HOT Vinegar etc
Personally I do not like them due ---PITA
Atwood OEM Mixing Valves are expensive ($140)
Atwood 90029 RV Water Heater Mixing Valve - GetRVParts

Atwood with Mixing Valve

And YES many RV MFGs install check valves on water heaters instead of shutoff valves
Common on HOT Out ---Winnebago likes one on COLD IN & HOT OUT
OEM water heaters not shipped with check valves-----RV MFGs add them

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Mixing Valve used on Atwood XT Model water heaters
10 gal tank.heat water to 160*F then hot out goes directly into Mixing Valve where cold water mixes and outlet temp is controlled to 130*F
Equivalent 16 gal of HOT water from a 10 gal tank......

Mixing valves clog up due to hard water minerals and then NO HOT WATER

Some folks have had success by removing Mixing Valve and cleaning by soaking in CLR, HOT Vinegar etc
Personally I do not like them due ---PITA
Atwood OEM Mixing Valves are expensive ($140)
Atwood 90029 RV Water Heater Mixing Valve - GetRVParts

Atwood with Mixing Valve

And YES many RV MFGs install check valves on water heaters instead of shutoff valves
Common on HOT Out ---Winnebago likes one on COLD IN & HOT OUT
OEM water heaters not shipped with check valves-----RV MFGs add them

I lernt sompin tonight. But I'm a kiss kind of guy. If it was mine I would eliminate it. One more of many new this to go bad.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I lernt sompin tonight. But I'm a kiss kind of guy. If it was mine I would eliminate it. One more of many new this to go bad.

I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy also ---hence the PITA comment

Yes...very easy to delete the Mixing valve
Just have to replumb the cold in and hot out with bypass and then change out the normal temp t-stat
XT uses a 160*F t-stat ---standard is 140*F t-stat
Course the XT t-stat uses a 'Pin' contact vs spade contact like standard model and the spade is also 'smaller'

Not changing out the t-stat then Extreme hot water would be at faucet/shower and will scald anyone NOT turning on cold and then mixing the hot with cold.
160*F ====2nd/3rd degree within 0.5 seconds
140*F====5 seconds
130*F====30 seconds
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy also ---hence the PITA comment

Yes...very easy to delete the Mixing valve
Just have to replumb the cold in and hot out with bypass and then change out the normal temp t-stat
XT uses a 160*F t-stat ---standard is 140*F t-stat
Course the XT t-stat uses a 'Pin' contact vs spade contact like standard model and the spade is also 'smaller'

Not changing out the t-stat then Extreme hot water would be at faucet/shower and will scald anyone NOT turning on cold and then mixing the hot with cold.
160*F ====2nd/3rd degree within 0.5 seconds
140*F====5 seconds
130*F====30 seconds
I love my 02 5er but we are going to replace it in 3 years with a larger TT. I hate the 3 ergonomically incorrect steps to the bedroom. We also want a walkaround bed. Wife will insist on a tub. We will buy used. I just don't know where the cut of in year will be to stay away from Hi-tech low-quality equipment. I do know quality control went out the window around 2010. guess I sidestepped this thread sorry
Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
O-B is right on the money again. The simplest thing to do is take the mixing valve off and apart and boil out the pieces in a pan on the stove with about 1 to 2 water to white vinegar mixture. Boil for about 30 minutes. My experience is that the heat helps the process. Make sure you count the number of turns on the adjustment screw so you can go back to the same or near same setting. Easy enough. And it doesn't cost much. Done it many times over the year.

Just remember if you eliminate the mixing valve and go to the lower temp thermostat you lose capacity....from 16 gals at the faucet to 10 gals. Just sayin'.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Morning

Old Biscuit beat me to it and explained it far better then I could have!!!!!!

And yes, my post should have said one valve for cold water in and one for cold water out.. (Incidentally, they “sing” a very high pitched squeel when they start to fail and stick in position)
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heat