Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Brown Moisture Basement Doors

I have 2014 31IKE Winslow and when there is a heavy dew or rain, I get a brown water residue in the lower part of the basement door frame, when I open the door. It looks like it is coming from the weep holes in the bottom of the basement door. Does anybody know what causes this or if it should even be there?
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Water is infiltrating the door. The brown comes from the bare inside plywood getting wet. Make sure the outer door frame is caulked where it meets the fiberglass and caulk the hinge rivets. Also pull and recaulk the frame bottom screws. Water lays here and seeps into the lower wood causing rot. Being a 2014 I would get this repaired under warranty so there is a record of the issue. You can do a search in here and find many threads on the issue.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
What chief says plus the handle gaskets leaking at the bottom of the door can cause this. On my roadside door the brown water has been an issue since new. I finally narrowed it down to the top of the door where the hinge is riveted to the door. I've caulked the hinge and rivets and it still leaks. I put white duck tape over the hinge and the problem disappears. This took alot of process of elimination. Unfortunately that means I'd have to remove the door and hinge to find the issue and I haven't made time for that project yet! It's on my list of things "to do". Let us know what you find. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the response. It suppose to stop raining today here in central Florida and I will take a look at it. I due have an appointment at Smith Center and will add it to the punch list.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

Had this condition on previous 2011 Winslow, now have it on 2013 limited.
Guess I should add caulking to my to do list.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Smith Center in the spring I hope lol.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I agree with the above. If you decide to caulk yourself, you should allow plenty of time for the interior of the door to dry out prior to talking. If you seal the moisture in the dry rot begins.

Don
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
I agree with the above. If you decide to caulk yourself, you should allow plenty of time for the interior of the door to dry out prior to talking. If you seal the moisture in the dry rot begins.

Don
Don, the doors have drain/vent holes in the bottom of the door. Just sayin' rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I am in Florida now and in about a month I will start heading out west. That should give it a good chance to dry out before I get to Smith Center in April.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Where is your sense of adventure? I'm going there Dec.7th or maybe earlier if the weather wants to come early
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Yea well Mr. Still..your used to that sideways snow. You drive SC just for coffee and donuts. Haha...
Old 11-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Yea well Mr. Still..your used to that sideways snow. You drive SC just for coffee and donuts. Haha...
Chief, my thoughts exactly! He must not have them doing anything to his rig.......same stuff broke everytime I see him. Hmmmmm! rockin'
Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Nope it's breakfast if I drive that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Chief, my thoughts exactly! He must not have them doing anything to his rig.......same stuff broke everytime I see him. Hmmmmm! rockin'
Thank the good lord I don't see you very much or I would have to post photos of your miss adventures.

We are going up there to get a slide fixed plus repair the slight damage to the rear end when I side swiped a park van in New Orleans. Dang narrow road to campsite.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Nope it's breakfast if I drive that far.

Thank the good lord I don't see you very much or I would have to post photos of your miss adventures.

We are going up there to get a slide fixed plus repair the slight damage to the rear end when I side swiped a park van in New Orleans. Dang narrow road to campsite.
Donna's cousin has 2 adjoining timeshare condos in the French Quarters, so we've spent many nights down there in N.O. I know what you mean by tight streets! We do have a motto when visiting there......what happens in N.O. stays in N.O.!!!! A great place to visit....but don't think I'd want to live in the French Quarters!!! rockin'

Tags
door, moisture