Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Just crawled up on the roof to sweep off the dust before moving this weekend. I noticed some bumps on the slide roofs: on the kitchen slide, in the middle, two or three in a line from outside to inside; and on the BR slide, same halfway and ¾ in from the front.

They appear to be staples punched in from above prior to applying the slide roof. Do others see this on their slides?

No, don't ask me to go on the roof again for pictures. Just seven weeks out of knee surgery, I barely turned around to climb down the back ladder.

I assume this is not the answer.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Just crawled up on the roof to sweep off the dust before moving this weekend. I noticed some bumps on the slide roofs: on the kitchen slide, in the middle, two or three in a line from outside to inside; and on the BR slide, same halfway and ¾ in from the front.

They appear to be staples punched in from above prior to applying the slide roof. Do others see this on their slides?

No, don't ask me to go on the roof again for pictures. Just seven weeks out of knee surgery, I barely turned around to climb down the back ladder.

I assume this is not the answer.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #3

I have not seen any bumps on mine though do have a couple air bubbles on the main roof area under the rubber roof membrane. I will be looking at my slides again though the next chance I get.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Bruce.......get down from there you fool!

My slide roofs have the waves of the Atlantic Ocean.....Jack says OK....no problem. Just FYI.

Now get back on the ground floor...where you belong!

Worry 'bout gettin' brakes!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Yesterday I sent an email to Service Jack about those roof bumps.

He replied immediately that these are staples for the luan slide roof that have worked loose and will eventually puncture the roofing.

Good news: of course, he will fix this at no charge at the Smith Center.

Bad news: of course, he will fix this at no charge at the Smith Center.

We are at Zion NP in SW Utah, heading to our summer lot in WA. Thus a 2,000 RT detour to SC. Guess that's why they call this an RVehicle.

Can anyone offer advice on said route in late May? Denver on I70 be getting snow and freezing nights right now. Cheyenne on I80 looks the same, and their average temps are lower. Is there any difference in elevation gain on these two routes? If no diff, I guess I'll take I70 east, and I80 west to Salt Lake.

Anyone need some parts I should pick up?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

Pick your days to come across Colorado. You never know about the high country. Better to set a day or two. The I-70 route will save you miles to Smith Center.

From there run up to I-80 and head west. There is not that bad of climb in WY. Mostly wide open country.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #7

Bruce, Please forgive my ignorance but what is a luan slide roof? Also can't a dealer in your area take care of it as I know PI seems to be good about covering repairs at non Excel dealers when necessary. For that matter even if you had to pay for repair it may be cheaper than fuel to SC anyway, just a thought.
Good Luck

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Max1,

Luan is a type of plywood, typically used in interior applications, such as an underlayment for vinyl flooring. It's also used to make hollow core interior doors. Jack said that they are using a different type of plywood now.

Jack also said that dealers don't have the experience for this type of job. Thus any other fix will not be covered under my PI warranty.

Yeah, I estimate $1,000 in diesel fuel. I raised this with Jack, and he offered to pay my fuel to SC. That's a good deal, and worth my cost.

While there, I'll get another problem fixed too, i.e. the slide lining that touch interior wall when extended has ripped in a couple of places. Plus, I discovered yesterday that they gave me the wrong tool to lower my spare tire. Heck that's worth the trip alone!

Larry,
Zion via I80 runs just an extra 120 miles. Are road conditions like weather and climbs worth the detour? 120 miles would take me most of a day, but if weather via I70 makes me wait, it wouldn't take any longer. I kinda figured that the weather would be the same in the Rockies via either route, but different altitudes could affect this.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Plus, I discovered yesterday that they gave me the wrong tool to lower my spare tire. Heck that's worth the trip alone!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We discovered that we don't have a tool for that either. Must remember to get one when we are in SC at the end of September

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Bruce,
'Captain' Jack is a pretty good dude -- don't tell him I said that as he's liable to get a big head!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce and Jenna:
Can anyone offer advice on said route in late May? Denver on I70 be getting snow and freezing nights right now. Cheyenne on I80 looks the same, and their average temps are lower. Is there any difference in elevation gain on these two routes? If no diff, I guess I'll take I70 east, and I80 west to Salt Lake.

Anyone need some parts I should pick up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce I would wait either way. We are in Ft. Collins, CO for our spring camp out and the winds here about 40 to 50 mph today. Snow is covering much of I-70 and out east toward SC it gets worse with the blowing snow and wind. Wait a day or two and it will be great.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Hey Larry,

Sorry to hear about the windy situation. Tell all our buds in the CO group hi for us. Enjoy!

And tell Bob Dibble he may consider not putting his awning out 'til the wind dies down a bit.....I think he'll get it!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D and J:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Plus, I discovered yesterday that they gave me the wrong tool to lower my spare tire. Heck that's worth the trip alone!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We discovered that we don't have a tool for that either. Must remember to get one when we are in SC at the end of September </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I missing something? My "spare tire carrier" tool is a offset 3/4" box end rachet wrench....nothing special. Maybe new models have something different. What's up? rockin'
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Larry,
Zion via I80 runs just an extra 120 miles. Are road conditions like weather and climbs worth the detour? 120 miles would take me most of a day, but if weather via I70 makes me wait, it wouldn't take any longer. I kinda figured that the weather would be the same in the Rockies via either route, but different altitudes could affect this.[/QUOTE]

Bruce,

I thought it would futher than that out of the way. I-80 will not have the mountains like I-70. Weather will be the deciding factor I-80 gets nasty with snow and wind, but that is also the case on I-70. Probaly less likely to have snow on I-80 than I-70 in the high country of I-70. Besides you can stop at Cabela's in Sidney NB. Does get costly though, , to stop. To many toys.

I-80 has nothing to see in western WY. Worse than western Kansas.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote