Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hi everyone! This is our first post. We are going to start negotiations on the Excel of our dreams and would like any input (positive or other) regarding the dealer we are thinking of working through. The dealer is George Sutton RV in Eugene, OR. We want to make sure we are dealing with a reputable dealer. We live out of the area and have no idea. Your input is requested. Many thanks.
John & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hi everyone! This is our first post. We are going to start negotiations on the Excel of our dreams and would like any input (positive or other) regarding the dealer we are thinking of working through. The dealer is George Sutton RV in Eugene, OR. We want to make sure we are dealing with a reputable dealer. We live out of the area and have no idea. Your input is requested. Many thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
John & Terri,
Can't speak to your dealer but wanted to say welcome. We look forward to hearing about your adventure.

I have a friend who lives in Spokane and is an RV nut....I have emailed him to see if he knows that dealer. If he has anything to share, we'll get back to you.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
John & Terri, welcome to iRV2.com, the "Excel Owner's Forum" AND the Excel Family! Congrats on your selection of an Excel and we look forward to making you an "official" member in the near future .
Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You will love your new Excel. If you are going to be in a hot climate very much don't let the dealer snow you about how a15000 BTU air is enough. We have a 36 ft. Excel with themopayne windows, and the air in the day time inside, will only be 11 degree's less than the outside. Our dealer, Denny at Dillions of Phoenix, told us he would put the second one in at his cost if we wanted it. I said lets do it after a few weeks of use, and he back peddled on us and wouldn't keep his word. Because he and the Excel dealership are now at Dillions and when we ordered it was at Sunfire RV. Dealers are only as good as there word. Next time I'll get it all in writing ! Also if you get the convection micro you can safely deleate the oven. You won't need it for baking.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Echo Roger's A/C comments and I'll add that the optional heat-pump capability in both units will be well worth the relatively small additional expense.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next time I'll get it all in writing ! Also if you get the convection micro you can safely deleate the oven. You won't need it for baking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the optional heat-pump capability in both units will be well worth the relatively small additional expense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whether or not you want to delete the oven or add the heat-pump depends on what type of camping you like to do. If you go from RV park to RV park and always have full hookups, then if you want to delete the oven and add the heat-pump that would work.

However, if you like to boondock and dry camp a lot, then not having an oven can be a real PITA...and, if I'm not mistaken, the heat-pump requires electricity to run, so isn't a really good choice for a boondocker.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
When we bought ours we were talking to Bryan and he talked us out of the second A/C. We are in Southern Oregon and have had days of 97* and somwwhat higher and we leave the temeprature set when we leave for work and it is comfortable for us. It will be 77* in the unit when we walk in and this is were we set it when we left. We have not had a problem cooling our unit. We did get it with the heat pump.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful welcome and the good information. We did think it was strange that other 5th wheel units we had looked at had two air conditioners but the Excel had only one. So far, adding a second air conditioner has not been mentioned as an option. We will ask about it.

As we will be doing some boondocking, I think we will stick with the stove.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #10

Hi, John & Terry. Thought I would mention, there's a fairly new Excel listed in the classifieds here. (And in the interest of full disclosure, it's mine.) It might be just what you're looking for. If you'd like more information, contact me.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
there is also a 2005 classic 33rso for sale over at escapee's

excel classic

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #12

John & Terri,
Like you, we are new on this forum, in the process of acquiring our Excel, and we're also in Sacramento! (I sent you a PM, but it may have gone to your junk mail.) We're wondering why you would be going through the RV dealer in Oregon, rather than the one here in Sacramento. If you know something we don't, hope you can share.

Newbie Fulltimers
River Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote