Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Circuit panel wiring for solar

When I ordered my Excel I asked them to wire the circuit panel for solar with all the electrical outlets on the inverted 30 amp. phase and with 2- 10/2 with ground wires going to the area where I would locate the inverter. This is the circuit panel arrangement. What do you make of it as far as phase A and B (or what ever you want to call the 2 legs)? I know this works because I have used it a lot. I just am not sure what I am looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1133.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	46659   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1134.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	46660  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Are you asking which circuits are on the Red or Black leg/circuit?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Are you asking which circuits are on the Red or Black leg/circuit?
All the 120v circuit panels I have seen have alternating legs or circuits (red and black) as you go down the panel. On this circuit panel configuration the bottom 1/3 of the circuits are all associated with the solar leg coming off the inverter. I'm not understanding how these circuits can be next to one another and hot without both legs of the circuit panel being energized.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
.... I know this works because I have used it a lot. I just am not sure what I am looking at.
Do you have the inverter hooked up?

From all I have read, the inverter output should be in a sub panel. The way it is wired now, looks like you will back feed the from the inverter to the input to the inverter. Or am I missing something here?

The red labeled breakers are on both the RED and Black "phase." these should be in the sub-panel when the inverter is installed.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Do you have the inverter hooked up?

From all I have read, the inverter output should be in a sub panel. The way it is wired now, looks like you will back feed the from the inverter to the input to the inverter. Or am I missing something here?

The red labeled breakers are on both the RED and Black "phase." these should be in the sub-panel when the inverter is installed.

H
There is no sub-panel. There is a 10/2 wire from the circuit panel to the inverter input and another from the inverter output back to the circuit panel. System works great. I just can't figure out the circuit panel configuration they wired at the factory.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
TTS,
It looks like a split in the bus bar and when hooked up to shore power the inverter transfer switch lets power flow to one side of the split as pictured. When on inverter power only the half of the split pictured are energized. Both sides powered on shore power 1-side through inverter one side direct. No shore power only one side from inverter.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
TTS,
It looks like a split in the bus bar.

If it is a split bus bar (photo), then it would work the same as a sub panel. That is the only way I can see it working. I have never seen a split bus bar, but found a sketch of one. (learned something new today! Are they to code?)

OP, again do you have an inverter hooked up now?

H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Split bus bar.png
Views:	119
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	46666  

Old 09-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
If it is a split bus bar (photo), then it would work the same as a sub panel. That is the only way I can see it working. I have never seen a split bus bar, but found a sketch of one. (learned something new today! Are they to code?)

OP, again do you have an inverter hooked up now?

H
This is to code fro the factory and I hooked the inverter and solar up once I got it the new rig 6 months ago. (I took the converter out of the system.) Even in the diagram you posted I still don't see how both bus bars at the bottom split are energized when not on shore power. The hot wire from the inverter is on the bottom 30 amp circuit which would energize only one leg.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
...Even in the diagram you posted I still don't see how both bus bars at the bottom split are energized when not on shore power. The hot wire from the inverter is on the bottom 30 amp circuit which would energize only one leg.
Can't tell very much from the photo, but, looks like a special 2-pole breaker may be feeding both "phases" of the bottom half. The inverter would supply 30 amp which is split into 30 and 20 amp lines. On shore power, the inverter would "pass through" the shore line supply to the bottom half.

What is the white wire on the bottom of the bus? Where does it lead too?

Sub panels are much simpler, but, more expense and work to install!

H

Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=hdossett;1742500]Can't tell very much from the photo, but, looks like a special 2-pole breaker may be feeding both "phases" of the bottom half. The inverter would supply 30 amp which is split into 30 and 20 amp lines. On shore power, the inverter would "pass through" the shore line supply to the bottom half.

What is the white wire on the bottom of the bus? Where does it lead too?

Sub panels are much simpler, but, more expense and work to install

The white wire at the bottom connected the neutrals for the inverted and non-inverted legs before I installed the inverter. When I separated them I had to unhook this wire. It is just laying there and isn't hooked up.

Thanks for the responses. I will have to think on them.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
This seems pretty simple to me. Just look at the Inverter Input and output labels. All lower red labeled breakers are getting power from inverter. If shore power is present the transfer switch in the inverter passes the AC right through to the red labeled circuits. If no shore power Inverter only supplies A/C power to the red labeled circuits from the DC to AC (battery bank) conversion. The breaker on the bottom 30/20 is just a double breaker and the 20 amp is for the microwave.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
This seems pretty simple to me...
Maybe you see a jumper feeding that side of the bus. I don't. An indicator that the bus is in fact split, and a if there was a visible jumper sure would simplify things!

H

Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Just like you mentioned....like having a subpanel. Dual branch circuits.

Versatility! 5500 Series 50 Amp AC Distribution Panels can be TWO PANELS IN ONE to save cost and space. A split 50/50 panel accepts — LEFT SIDE: dual 50 Amp main and up to 8 branch circuits — RIGHT SIDE: dual 50 Amp main and up to 4 branch circuits.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
This seems pretty simple to me. Just look at the Inverter Input and output labels. All lower red labeled breakers are getting power from inverter. If shore power is present the transfer switch in the inverter passes the AC right through to the red labeled circuits. If no shore power Inverter only supplies A/C power to the red labeled circuits from the DC to AC (battery bank) conversion. The breaker on the bottom 30/20 is just a double breaker and the 20 amp is for the microwave.
I think Rick has won the prize....Having a dual panel answers the question. It sure would be nice to have an 'as built' of mods when they roll out the door. But as many mods that Excel does, they would keep a CAD tech busy.

Tags
solar, wiring