Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Compartment Latches

Has anyone modified the shaft of the T handle latch on the front compartment doors? It seems on mine and the previous one too, that the shaft goes past the paddle over an inch. The only time this is a pain is when I am hooked up and have the door open. It seems like I am in to big a hurry and have hit the top of my head on the extruding shaft that isn’t needed. The last time this happened it did bring tears to my eyes.(I will not repeat what was said) I don’t see a need for the extra shaft and don’t know why the manufacture leaves that much there. It is kind of a safety issue.

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

I don't see a reason why the extra length of shaft can't be cut off once the paddle is adjusted to length and fit. Knowing how my doors are make and latches mounted, would mark the length and remove the latch before cutting and smoothing the ends.

My unit has a longer nose than newer models and don't have as tight a fit when connected. As I think I have a photo for everything....looked and here's the latches on my unit....never noticed them being that long. But never hit my head on it either.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
I've had the same thing happen numerous times, seems it needs a modification of the "Pool Noodle" treatment for our bedroom slide that has saved the top of my head from elimination a few times!
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #4

Don't know if this will be helpful but will throw it out any way.Our Titanium had locks without the t-handle.Only a keyed lock with a finger tab on the outside,two locks per compartment. The locking tab or arm inside fits on a square stud on the back and a screw holds it on to the lock.Much like the lock on a tool box.Only draw back to it is you have to very careful when bending the locking tab or arm as that is the only adjustment to make sure the compartment is locked tight,once adjusted it stays adjusted ok.One could still bump ones head on it when compartment is open,but it only sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4 ".
I've seen these compartment locks on a lot of TT and 5ers.
Ti5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
B2,
I just replaced the 6 inch plastic latch rod with a 3" and it opens the door more when open. Not a perfect set up, but much better than original and a cheap upgrade. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
B2,
I just replaced the 6 inch plastic latch rod with a 3" and it opens the door more when open. Not a perfect set up, but much better than original and a cheap upgrade. rockin'

Where did you get the 3" latch rod?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John Galt" View Post
Where did you get the 3" latch rod?
CW or any RV parts store have them. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everyone for you’re input, I haven’t decided if I’ll clip the existing or go for the shorter. I think I’ll do the upgrade by letting the warranty take care of it. But honestly the last time I hit my head there it did draw blood and ever since every time I open that door I look at it and think that could be a potential puncture wound. I’ll let you know what we did.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
Thanks everyone for you’re input, I haven’t decided if I’ll clip the existing or go for the shorter. I think I’ll do the upgrade by letting the warranty take care of it. But honestly the last time I hit my head there it did draw blood and ever since every time I open that door I look at it and think that could be a potential puncture wound. I’ll let you know what we did.

B2,

Don't get me wrong....the short T handle just improves the situation by allowing the top door to go higher and gives you a bit more room to work.
You CAN still bump your noggen on it!!! I know that for a fact!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
NOW that looks like the SKIA I know!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
B2,

Don't get me wrong....the short T handle just improves the situation by allowing the top door to go higher and gives you a bit more room to work.
You CAN still bump your noggen on it!!! I know that for a fact!

Rockin, the link to hold my door open has one setting, so the door is going to be a constant height when ever it is open, did you install a shorter link?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
Rockin, the link to hold my door open has one setting, so the door is going to be a constant height when ever it is open, did you install a shorter link?

Yes, as listed on post #5 of this thread says.....I installed a 3" T handle instead of a what came on mine....a 6"
Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, read post #1.….I am talking about the T-Handle latch that holds the door shut and not the latch that holds the door open….look at photo in post#2.…Just don’t want to confuse someone to think they can buy a 3” plastic shaft to hold the paddles to the latch when the door is shut…

Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Thanks HPD. I understood that, but by raising the door some it helps in giving you a bit more working area before busting your head on the shafts that protrude that you are referring to. rockin'

Tags
t handle latch