Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #15

Tom,
Our dinette slide didn't always act like that and after all the work at SC last summer I'm disappointed with the current operation. Funny our kitchen slide rises up on the threshold quickly and is much smoother than the dinette. There isn't that much weight in the dinette slide, furniture and computer stuff for maybe 350 lbs total. Any ideas on a cause for our difficult retraction?
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Sorry Brad, without seeing/watching the operation from underneath and on the top side too, it's hard to say from here.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Brad, I took the I-pad out and tried several times to compare the two, and mine seemed to operate about the same. Sometimes yours had a hard time getting started, other times ours was a little worse.

The difference I found was where you stopped the video is where our starts make strange noises up to the island.

Could there have been a bad batch of slides? Tim wasn't all that keen on what Peterson was given from Lippert, I forget how he put it, but felt they could have done better.

Mark
Old 03-15-2022, 04:52 PM   #18

Mark,
Mine is pretty smooth once it clears the threshold and runs right up to the island without difficulty. I sent that video to Curtis but I haven't spoken to him yet to see what he thinks. We are on the move tomorrow so I'll get to hold my breath and push that button gain.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #19

Well, with all the slide issues I finally decide to get under the rig and check everything out. Need new wet bolts, 1/2 won’t accept grease, even after new zerks. Anyways back to the dinner slide. I do not know what it is called, I will attach a photo. At the end of the gear rail looking thing is a geared spindle looking thing. From underneath the trailer, feet facing the steps, the one on the right was normal. However the one on the left…. The right side of that spindle thing free spins. That can’t be right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4553.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	361135
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Mike, regarding the wet bolts not taking grease, it's doubtful your problem the wet bolts are the issue. Most of the time you have to take the load off the springs by raising the coach. It takes some pretty hard pumps of a good higher pressure grease gun for the joint to take the grease. Age old problem. I always contended that the wet bolt grease exit hole which should be either point toward the front or rear of the rig (hole positioned horizontal). That way the you are not trying to pump grease with the load of the trailer not allowing the grease to flow into the joint. I always wanted to take the bolt out and slightly chamfer that hole just a little bit so that grease would enter the bushing easier, but I never did.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see any issue with the photo you posted on the slide rail. Are there any witness marks on the slide box rails like we discussed earlier indicating dragging?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Is your concern that one roller is free and the other won't move?
Old 04-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #22

Thanks Tom, I will try to raise the rig and grease the bolts.

Yes. One side of that roller will not move. The other side of the roller I can turn with my hand. Checking the other rollers, I cannot move either side by hand. It is as if the end is broken. Seems it should be one solid piece to operate the slide properly.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Just to take it a step further, now that I gave the basics, I've had it where some joints need to the rig to be lifted and other grease better on the ground!!! And I've had them where I can't get the joint to take grease let it down and take it around the block and then it'll take it. It's crazy!

I'm surprised that this is the first time you've noticed this anomaly as long as you've owned the rig. I think the manual says grease every 4000 miles or 6 months, but I (the overachiever/OCD) used to grease every major pull, which was about 6 times a year.

Maybe that roller is the problem.....I don't know.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #24

Hate to admit, but I have never gotten underneath and really looked at everything. I have been reviewing some old post and you discussed the bolts. I have never put grease in them at all, didn't even know they were there! I had the bearings repacked, brakes and the tires replaced roughly two years ago. I think I have stayed on top of everything else.

And looking at that roller, maybe it is supposed to be free, the others dont move because the weight of the slide is on them however for some reason not on that one... I thought it was one solid piece that turned all together, but if it is simply a roller, maybe not...
Old 04-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Mike,

If you've not greased those joints they are probably worn out and you're are gonna probably need complete bushing repair kits! Also both equalizers.

And you talk about repacking the wheel bearings. I think all Limiteds came with Nev-R-Lube sealed bearing. If you replaced those bearing....you done spent some money!!!! Just sayin'
Old 04-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #26

sorry for the late response, was out of town for a few days. I have the bushings checked out when I go pick up the glide right bushings. thanks for the heads up.....maybe that is why it squeaks so bad!
Old 04-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Exactly. The center equalizer bushing wheel squeak and squawk if it is not greased regularly. Usually the first to make noise. Hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #28

Re: dinette slide

I experience this on my 37sdf every time that I bring the giant kitchen/entry/living room slide in. If I'm by myself I use a farm jack and a 2x4 to lift it up a bit. The room then retracts easily and pops it off the jack. If I've got people around then two guys picking up on the outside edge with their backs against the room helps a ton. Slide-outs as big as the one on a 37sdf are a lot to move. I also blew a bracket off a dew years ago. I made a replacement out of 3/8 flat bar that will likely last forever.
coloradoguid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide