Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Converting leveling system to automatic.

Have been talking to Ralph at Smith Center and he said they have converted 3 or 4 of the leveling systems to the Auto - leveling. Didn't remember who the customers were. So thought if I posted it here somebody might respond. Have had thoughts of up-grading to the automatic leveling and was wondering if the people that had it done have had any problems and if the thought it was worth it?

Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Have been talking to Ralph at Smith Center and he said they have converted 3 or 4 of the leveling systems to the Auto - leveling. Didn't remember who the customers were. So thought if I posted it here somebody might respond. Have had thoughts of up-grading to the automatic leveling and was wondering if the people that had it done have had any problems and if the thought it was worth it?

Dick
Tbag,

Unless you have updated your rig listed in your profile.....shouldn't you just invest in a fresh rig and get lots of updates????!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Tbag,

Unless you have updated your rig listed in your profile.....shouldn't you just invest in a fresh rig and get lots of updates????!!! rockin'
Rockin, no it still the same as in my profile. If all my hydraulic work on the slide drifting out going down the road that may be an option. We are heading out for 10 days on Sundsy so will know before I get too far down the road,but believe I have fixed the problem. Have fixed most things in the past 7 years so should be not much else to fix or replace and 3 grand + is alot easier on the check book that 125 thousand for a new one. Have emailed Bryan this spring and looked at where they were in their building schedule for the rest of the year just in case. The only problem would be my Dexter Air ride and he said if that was a deal breaker he would look into it. I need to get 4 new tires before we head out to New Mexico for the ballon fest the first week of Oct. ( we got a free trip from Camping World at a Grand opening for their first store in Ma.).

Dick
Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Tbag.........for gosh sakes....you can't take it with you!!! Anyhow, with a fresh one, you can laugh at folks like me with the "old" 2012 model!!! See how that works? Ha! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm curious to ask if you have power jacks now, is having to push 2 buttons at a time that much of a chore ($3,000 worth?) to push one and be done? I have power jacks on my Class A, but they're manual, not auto level. I lay my smart phone with the level app on the floor and push two buttons at a time until the 'bubble' is within the circle. Not a big chore.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #6

I'm not sure what you'd like to know but I had mine converted last year at Smith Center. The job took most of a day and it works gone. To respond to some about pushing the two buttons...yes that works but the fully automatic is cool.

2013 Excel 34IKE
2015 Quicksilver Metallic GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Dually
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

I meant to say it works good. And the $3000. Figure is way too high unless they have raised the price. I paid much less than that. Call Ralph or Curtis for a quote that is current.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk9SP View Post
I meant to say it works good. And the $3000. Figure is way too high unless they have raised the price. I paid much less than that. Call Ralph or Curtis for a quote that is current.
Skyhawk What I was trying to find out is did you find it worth the money and does it work good all the time or is there times that you have to do it manualy? Have talked with Ralph. How many landing gear jacks do you have? I have 4 and was wondering does it tweek the frame some times? I have that happen sometimes when the lot isn't too level. I have Dexter Air ride and hardly ever get the weight off the air bags. Some time it takes a lot of lift.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Skyhawk What I was trying to find out is did you find it worth the money and does it work good all the time or is there times that you have to do it manualy? Have talked with Ralph. How many landing gear jacks do you have? I have 4 and was wondering does it tweek the frame some times? I have that happen sometimes when the lot isn't too level. I have Dexter Air ride and hardly ever get the weight off the air bags. Some time it takes a lot of lift.

Each individual will need to determine if the cost to upgrade is worth it. If I was on a tight budget I would be well satisfied with the manual leveling but since I upgraded mine it has been trouble free and very easy to use. I have four jacks and feel that it tweets the frame less than when I had to level manually. With the automatic leveling the "brain" knows better than I which jacks to extend or retract to be level. My driveway has at least a 3" slope and the auto level will raise the wheels on the low side off the ground. Excel is confident that their frame will withstand any twisting with only four jacks. I agree. I don't remember the capacity of each jack but I think it was 5000# each.

Bottom line...in my opinion the two buttons work well but if you are willing to spend the money the auto level is cool to say the least. Additionally, I like the memory that allows you to reset your hitching height automatically.

2013 Excel 34IKE
2015 Quicksilver Metallic GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Dually
Old 06-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
With motorhomes alot of owners who have the auto feature elect not to use it including me. Some of these leveling systems are just to aggressive on auto.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling