Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Crack in ceiling

Has anyone experienced a crack in the ceiling like this? It begins at the air-conditioner register and goes forward for about 9 inches or so. This is an area that has no loads from the top. It's quite a distance from the air-conditioner. For now I'm going to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve the stress and then I'll have to find out what the ceiling material is made of and make a repair. Anyone know what the material is on the ceiling? Does anyone have a repair method for the ceiling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	133949  
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just a guess but my thoughts are the crack is caused by the ceiling fan. Either it is not braced well enough or it is out of balance and vibrating. Not sure what to use for repair. In order to do it right you probably need to pull the vent and brace it from the top. Patching and hiding the crack might be a problem. To do it right you need to open a V and patch but if you can't match it will be a mess. Think I would try to hide it with paint or white out first.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Sorry Don, I don't have any help. I've only had the padded ceilings which I've not had any issues with. The previous poster may have a good idea. Our old buddy workhorse may have some input here. He's really good with stuff like this. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #4

Hi Don,
Lest we not forget going down road is like being ina pretty severe earthquake and thus may be the cause of crack. Your best bet for repair may to patch as suggested and then blend with a texture spray such as this Homax 20 oz. Wall Orange Peel Quick Dry Oil-Based Spray Texture-4055-06 - The Home Depot

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I'll take it from here and do a little more investigative research and with the help of your advice see if I can make a repair that looks good. Thanks again
Old 07-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

Don it would seem as if the ceiling fan would have something to do with the crack.... Several questions?

When did the crack start and the speed at which it has spread?

Have you remover the vent to look at the ceiling to framing joint... Be interesting to know if two sections of panel are jointed their or if it just happened to crack in the middle of the run?

Should drop the fan or remove the "bell cover" to check the installation and mounting to determine if the crack is fan related or how it is mounted. One would guess if loose it would be noticeable.

I would have thought the crack would come from the 90 degree inside corner if it was a fan issue with mount or weight? So some investigation is needed...

Does the ceiling have any play or looseness to it?

Last question for now is the makeup of the texture... With the way the crack is running its not vinyl sheeting?

When I make some repairs to the vinyl wall covering on our Alpenlite I've used an almond chalk to cover nail or screw holes with great success. A long crack might be more difficult but could be tried.

Finger typing with my iPad so forgive me.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
See Don, I told you work would have a clue!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

....enlarging the photo, I'm trying to think of how a thin plywood material, if that's what the ceiling material is would crack in that fashion and not raise other areas around it. It doesn't appear the edges of the crack are raised. Can you insert the tip of a knife or a sewing type pin into the crack to check it for depth or if the tip will insert into the opening.

Because I can't see or touch it... trying to rule out the ceiling material isn't stretched creating the crack? One last question: is the ceiling flat or crowned in the center?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

Hi Don,
I am changing out my bedroom roof vent and can see in rough opening when I removed garnish the ceiling sheathing is a very thin type of wood paneling, guessing 1/16" super thin so I wonder if crack is just in the white finish coating. Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the input Workhouse. Here are answers to your questions:
•I don't know when the crack started. I just looked up the other day and there it was.
•I have not removed the AC duct, but I can tell the crack is in the middle of a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" luan plywood not at a seam or joint.
•The ceiling is flat, not arched.
•The crack is the same elevation on both sides. When I push the ceiling up in the area of the crack the crack closes somewhat.
•I dropped The bell from the ceiling fan and examined it to see that it was properly attached. I found no problem here.
•I'm fairly sure the white coating on the underside of the luan is a splatter texture followed by a latex paint. I couldn't peel off a small piece of what I would call vinyl covering.

Check out the photos. I've never seen how the attic is constructed but I have to imagine the tolerances are quite close. Having said that could this crack have been caused by a 215# man walking carefully on the roof and stepping where there was no clearance from rubber roof to roof decking plywood to rafter/joist to luan ceiling, thereby causing this crack?
Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	134335   Click image for larger version

Views:	89
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	134336  

Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Here are 2more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	83
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	134337  
Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #12

Don,
It sure looks by your pics that it is bowed down and when when you push it up is level hence the crack closes some. I would suggest perhaps fashioning some sort of header joist from perhaps a 2x4 or rigid material that will span and support from back side of the panel bowed area and glue or counter sink nail to header to hold it up level then paint and or use the spray texture to cover what's left of the crack.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #13

Don I didn't want you to remove duct work, only remove the grille to see the makeup of the ceiling.... It looks like a lightweight ply panel with a thin ply outer layer on top and bottom with a wood makeup inner material.

Initial thoughts:

-if you look at the edge of the panel....there is a void in the makeup inner material just above crack and to the right. This isn't normal but not totally uncommon.

- it looks like the upper and lower ply material, from what I can see doesn't have a crack line at the edge? This area might just be weak/different because of the AC duct above the panel.

-this void in the panel might be short due to panel being 4 ft wide and not knowing where it starts and the void might not always go across.

-Because there is a duct above the crack...pushing / pressing up should have some give so don't see that as a concern since you mention the area is level and no broken uneven ply from either side of crack.

-you mentioned that the ceiling fan is secure and you don't see it as being a part of the problem.

-don't know what caused the crack, a photo and being there are different thing for me.... I'm a toucher. But might guess it is due to the duct above and the cutout for the grille. Being several years old and road/ temperature movement doesn't hurt.

Don't know the roof framing layout but would guess it would be walkable? Maybe someone else could provide that info.

Let me know what you think of my thoughts....and then I will give you my thoughts on the repair....
Old 07-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #14

If you bought it used I'd examine it closely to see if was from a previous repair.

But to fix it I'd put a thin strip of aluminum or sheet metal on both sides and run sheet metal screws up on each side of the crack while holding the crack in the most closed position. A couple pair of vice grips would help hold it all while you screw. You should be able to that so at least the screws are hidden by the grill.

As for repairing the crack there are probably many ways and I don't know the best or what tools you have. I'd probably run drywall mesh tape down the inside and mud it. You would have to be an expert drywaller to do that. On the outside force some white silicon glue in the crack, wipe it to match the rest of the ceiling and paint. Then keep an eye on it.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling