Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #1

When I purchased my unit, it had an area at the bottom left corner of the slide opening that has a crack area. Assume this is caused by the bedroom slide being or has been out of adjustment.

Have done the finger, nuckle and rubber mallet pounding on the area and it feels solid. The area does 'sit' out just a bit which gives the the first impression that it has been pushed out. Would have to take the bed apart to see the inside and haven't seen any concern on a visual look.

Has anyone experienced this problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #2

When I purchased my unit, it had an area at the bottom left corner of the slide opening that has a crack area. Assume this is caused by the bedroom slide being or has been out of adjustment.

Have done the finger, nuckle and rubber mallet pounding on the area and it feels solid. The area does 'sit' out just a bit which gives the the first impression that it has been pushed out. Would have to take the bed apart to see the inside and haven't seen any concern on a visual look.

Has anyone experienced this problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

I had the same type of spider cracks on my 2000 30 ft. I talked with Kathy at RV Sales before we traded it in and she said that they do that sometimes.

I was wondering what it would take to fix it and she said it is more involve than just fixing the glass on the outside and if you didn't fix the source it would just keep cracking.

Seems to me it might be the stress from having people in the bed and not allowing for any additional clearance when the bed flexes.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
While I can't tell you the cause. I have noticed this on other Excels. I have seen a couple that were repaired with a piece of metal with screws and caulking.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We seen this type of cracking in Several brands of fifth wheels, fiberglass and metal. It is a weak point where the bottom of the bed slide is applying pressure against the bottom, and added movement in the bedroom will cause it start this process.
Here is what we have done on several units:
1) Drill out the end of the crack with a small bit 1/8" to 3/16".
2) Seal the complete crack as well as the flange around the slide
3) Use a flat piece of metal extrusion along with butyl tape and place it over the crack and screw to the sidewall.
4) Put Screw cap cover over the extrusion and and seal on the edge of the extrusion.

This should stop it from cracking any further.

Today Excel and others have an expansion joint in that spot and some on both sides of the slide to allow flex with cracking.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I had been aware for some time that the left lower corner of the bedroom slide-out had a propensity to crack the fiberglass, so I always kept an eye on it. On the morning of December 8, 2007 as I was leaving Fort Worth for the factory SC. I made it a point to check and there were no noticeable cracks. Approximately 300 miles down the road while getting some bargain priced diesel in northern Oklahoma I checked it again. You guessed it, several small cracks propagating out of the corner. As a result of this, I am of the opinion that the cause is travel stress rather than the slide-out its self. The Service Center repair was to cut the fiberglass straight down out of the corner and remove and replace the entire forward part of the panel. There is now a plastic or vinyl splice extrusion which covers the splice and provides an expansion joint at the stress riser. It is a very nice repair and it will never be a problem again when it's fixed this way. I also noticed that all the new coaches at the factory now have this expansion joint.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are getting cracks in the area as described, I'd be worried about stress and movement in the front frame area. We ahve a 13 year old Avion 5er that has been pulled many a mile, including the so-called roads in Oklahoma. So far...no cracks in the front or anywhere else on the sides.

Keep an eye on any frmae members that yo can see. There should be very little movement in the frame and there should be no cracking of the siding.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
If you are getting cracks in the area as described, I'd be worried about stress and movement in the front frame area. We ahve a 13 year old Avion 5er that has been pulled many a mile, including the so-called roads in Oklahoma. So far...no cracks in the front or anywhere else on the sides.

Keep an eye on any frmae members that yo can see. There should be very little movement in the frame and there should be no cracking of the siding.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All frames have flexure, but vertically mounted fiberglass doesn't for all practical purposes. This particular area simply needed some stress relief and the splice provides it. I would never worry about the Excel's frame, it's a proven success.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
To Ken's point, I've owned three (3) 5th wheels with slideouts, all purchased new. These were (1) a 1996 Jayco Designer 3030RKSS, (2) a 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS and (3) our current 2004 Doubletree Mobile Suites 36RE3. The latter two have been triple-slideout designs with a bedroom slideout. The first was a single slideout design.

All of these 5th wheels have had one-piece exterior gelcoated fiberglass sidewalls, and despite being pulled across I-40 and I-30 in Arkansas before it was resurfaced, across I-10 in Louisiana, across US69 in Oklahoma, etc., none have ever had a crack in a sidewall, nor have any ever had frame problems.

Based on my experience, I certainly wouldn't consider this cracking to be the norm.

That's just my 2 cents' worth....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #10

Thanks for the information. Don't know if I'm glad this is a common problem or not. But am that I know what the cause might be and a approach to dealing with it. At least it's not a water problem.

I feel good about the steel frame. Dealing with 'stick builts' I can understand where this might be a stress area. After viewing the SIDEWALL VIDEO it would appear that the glass is bonded to a 2" x 6" (?) base that provides the footer for that section of the wall. It would also appear the base of the bedroom slide's frame would set on top of this. Alot of weight for this area. Taking a guess but would assume that the slide itself doesn't directly sit on the opening as the slide hardware would be carrying the majority of the weight. Would also guess road flexing is more at fault.

During my seach for a 'newer' unit, saw a Newmar and 2 Alfa's that had simular cracking, all were early 2002-3 units.

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris
Old 03-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...but with respect to cracks in the bedroom corner exterior surface -- people can stick their heads in the sand if they like -- but these cracks should not be happening so for what its worth I believe the cause is as follows---
This post will be deleted very shortly -- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'75v @ miw', I have no intention of deleting or editing your post. To the best of my knowledge, "lag screws" have nothing to do with the bedroom slide stress cracks. The lower left corner is where these cracks develop and the cause is as stated by 'Highgturn' (Bob) in his post.

Also, as 'wrongway' pointed out earlier, stress cracks are common in this area on other brands besides Excels and have been discussed on other RV forums.
John
Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'75v @ miw' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How do you make an entire comment disappear?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I received a PM from 75v and he delete his comment as well as the comment that I posted after his. (I delete my comment). Hope this answers your question.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom! For the benefit of readers and posters of future topics, If you decide to delete your post or response to a post, please simply state "Deleted" in the body of the post after you have deleted your remarks. This will prevent any future misunderstanding and resulting confusion.
Thanks,
John

On edit, I've reopened this topic.