Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
JLS

Excel Owners Club
Dehumidifiers

We have decided that we will have to spend the winter at home here in Oregon this year. Our old dog is just to fragile to travel. My question is, are any of you using a dehumidifier in your trailer. If so, what size is good and what manufactures are reliable. Any info is appreciated. We 've always used Dri-Z-Air in the past but thinking a dehumidifier would do a better job.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The Eva-Drys (both sold by RVUpgrades, one of our site sponsors) are great units.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Nlovnit, thanks for the input. I just ordered one and at that price it will be well worth trying. The one I currently have weighs about 70 lbs. and is very noisy. It is about 3 feet tall. When we are down at Padre you need it on those days that you run your heater.

The Squirrel
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I have the Eva-dry on the right. If you read the description carefully, you will see they are good for closets and other small spaces. For an entire trailer...no. It will fill up slowly, but not make an appreciable dent in the humidity in the trailer. I confirmed this impression with my indoor temp/humidity gauge.

Even the smallest true dehumidifier makes a lot of noise in a confined space like an RV. Your best bet – heat, air movement, and ventilation. Open a window and a ceiling vent. Sure, some heat will escape, but so will the humidity.

Also, watch your outside walls and corners and windows. Moisture inside condenses on those cold walls and mold gets going real quick. Watch the walls behind your mattress. Keep your shades up some at night, or water will condense on the windows and frames.

Make sure to run your bath fan whenever you shower, and keep it running till the mirror clears up. Open a window in the room while you run the fan.

If you see mold, spray it with diluted bleach, 1:10 as I recall.

We’ve had a lot of experience in this regard, having lived in western WA for 17 years. Mold is big problem. Don’t let it get a start….
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #5

I thought the Excels didn't have a problem with condensation? This is the primary reason we are looking to upgrade our less insulated CedarCreek (no thermopane windows either).
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
JLS

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the info folks. Just to clarify, we are not living in the trailer. It's just parked next to the house uncovered. Thought that the dehumidifier would keep it dryer inside over the winter months than the Dry-Z-Air.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
I thought the Excels didn't have a problem with condensation? This is the primary reason we are looking to upgrade our less insulated CedarCreek (no thermopane windows either).
Less problem, certainly, due to better insulation. Thermopane windows are great. But warm interior humid air on a colder surface, like the metal frames = condensation.

I lived in a well insulated house near the ocean in the NW. Fought condensation until we purchased two room dehumidifiers. They worked, but it was too late. Black mold had already taken over because the prior owner had not heated and dehumidified the house. We wound up living in our tent trailer in our driveway in the summer till we moved away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Thanks for the info folks. Just to clarify, we are not living in the trailer. It's just parked next to the house uncovered. Thought that the dehumidifier would keep it dryer inside over the winter months than the Dry-Z-Air.
Actually the Dry-Z chemical seems to absorb more moisture than the Eva-Drys. Just not enough for a living space. And emptying and refilling those holders can get real inconvenient after a while, not to mention spilling a full container accidentally
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #8

We use a Soleus 25 ppd dehumidifier which was purchased at Home Depot. It was not energy star rated like another popular unit, but research shows it to in fact be more efficient. Be wary of energy star ratings on all appliances as politics is involved here and the ratings have been shown to be bogus. We also have two of the Peltier effect type dehumidifiers but we no longer use them and do not recommend them. We manage to collect more water in a Coleman cooler that has the Peltier device in it. Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I didn't notice this post till just now. I stored a MH thru the winter in WA. I put a conventional dehumidifier in it, plus an electric heater. If you do not keep the space warm, the dehumidifier coils will freeze and you are SOL. I think I also put a small fan inside to push some air into more remote areas.

I had a temp/humid weather unit with remote sensors. I put a remote in the MH so I could monitor temp and humid. Eventually I found the right settings for both devices to keep the temp high enough and the humid at no more than 50%. And don't forget that you will need to empty the reservoir periodically, or the humidifier will shut off.

And still, watch for condensation on outside walls and windows. Keep the shades up so the windows don't get too cold.

Check the amp draw too, cause a heater and a dehumidifier draw a lot.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I would also like to point something out -there can be a lot of condensation that builds up if you cook a lot in your rig during the cold weather (and cooking pasta or stews can be a real humidifier!! ) I have thought of getting one to use during winter specifically for that reason...

Thanks for the reminder of needing to get one of these!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
I would also like to point something out -there can be a lot of condensation that builds up if you cook a lot in your rig during the cold weather (and cooking pasta or stews can be a real humidifier!! ) I have thought of getting one to use during winter specifically for that reason...

Thanks for the reminder of needing to get one of these!
And don't forget the BA.

Two words...Sponge baths.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
And don't forget the BA.

Two words...Sponge baths.
My pasta needs a deep soak... no Sponge baths for them!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
My pasta needs a deep soak... no Sponge baths for them!
Ha ha ha! You know what I mean!!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Ha ha ha! You know what I mean!!
Sorry, Bruce... ..I couldn't resist!