Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Demco glide ride

While I was doing a Pre-inspection with the trailer unhitched. I noticed that I could move the king pin plate back and forth almost 2 inches with very little resistance and only using 1 hand. It would also move side to side slightly.

I called Demco and they said that a bushing was probably bad, it would be alright but might make some noise. You know what my answer was to that
They are sending a repair kit to my dealer.
I really wonder why this happened on a 1 year old trailer with only about 4,000 miles on it.

Anyone else had a problem with their Glide Ride?

red
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
red,

I've had 2 Demcos......the first one had the recall, which they sent me parts to replace.

I've also got one on my new rig.....after about 500 miles it made noise on every movement forward or backward. Scott sent me new pin kit and I put them in. I didn't see a thing wrong with the old one.....but the new kit fixed mine. BTW......my moves very easy with one hand. After I unhookd I push the pin rearward just so it is out of the way. The Demco works good for the "chucking" but, of course, don't do nothing for the up and down movement.......but I like it. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Red, Dethmer’s will back their product and are very customer orientated. Don’t worry they will get it taken care of for you. The campground was excellent and I just loved the free Wi-Fi from the Holiday Inn Express very strong signal.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcow View Post

red
I have not had any problems with the Demco hitch on my HitchHiker. But there have been a few discussed on the NuWa Owners forum. One thread is labeled 'Demco Pinbox Failure'. Another thread is labeled 'Demco Glide Ride weld failure'. There may be other threads found by doing a search on the NuWa Owners Forum. I did not do a search.... All the people who had the problems found the company very responsive to their concerns.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
The company did seem very nice and was sending repair kit right away.
Hope it gets here cause we are taking off Monday to burn up some Diesel.

Rockin', I have a friend that has about 20,000 miles on his and he can not move the plate by hand. wonder what the difference is?

red
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
red,

Maybe he's not too strong!!! Just kiddin'.....When you just start to move the pin plate it takes some effort....once you start the movement with the fulcrum action than it's easier to move. As long as the weight is off the pin it should move back and forth. Both of my Demcos were fairly easy to move. Be careful not to pinch your little finger though!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #7

Rockintom
I tried to tell you that you needed the airhitch. why not have the best product on the market for the comfort of your new rv?
chevman
2005 3500 2wd duramax dually twin to the Tug
prodigy
KSH 55 gal inbed fuel tank
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong arm stabilizers
Garmin 2720 gps
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small alpenlite.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	4836  
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I have not had any problems with the Demco hitch on my HitchHiker. But there have been a few discussed on the NuWa Owners forum. One thread is labeled 'Demco Pinbox Failure'. Another thread is labeled 'Demco Glide Ride weld failure'. There may be other threads found by doing a search on the NuWa Owners Forum. I did not do a search.... All the people who had the problems found the company very responsive to their concerns.

edj, thanks for the useful links and when I get time I plan on surfing your NuWa forum.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
red,

Maybe he's not too strong!!! Just kiddin'.....When you just start to move the pin plate it takes some effort....once you start the movement with the fulcrum action than it's easier to move. As long as the weight is off the pin it should move back and forth. Both of my Demcos were fairly easy to move. Be careful not to pinch your little finger though!!! rockin'

Got mine replaced today with new bushings(?). You can still move it but it takes some effort as you described.
Probably my imagination but seems to tow like it used to now.

I am going to tell my friend who is 6" 10" and weighs 290 lbs and is a cage fighter, what you said

red
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
Rockintom
I tried to tell you that you needed the airhitch. why not have the best product on the market for the comfort of your new rv?
chevman
2005 3500 2wd duramax dually twin to the Tug
prodigy
KSH 55 gal inbed fuel tank
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong arm stabilizers
Garmin 2720 gps
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite
Mr. chevman,

Where do you get off telling me about nice stuff???.....you got that ol' Alphenlite antique....another year or so and the parks won't let you in due to age!!!! You or the rig!

For those that don't know......Larry is an Excel wannabe and he surfs our forum out alot!! We have fun gigging each other!!! He's got a beat up ol' Chevy truck like me.......except he's spent alot to make it go fast....and in hurry!!! His unit would make ol' Tug look like he's going backwards!!

He musta sold dope when he was younger.....cause he gots lots and lots of money to spend on his toys!!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I had a problem with my Glide Ride hitch a while back, out of warranty, and called Customer Service. The rep walked me through diagnosing the problem, sent the needed parts at no cost, and followed up to see if all was well. Great customer service.

By the way, the hitch performs as advertised.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
North Platt

Quote:
While I was doing a Pre-inspection with the trailer unhitched. I noticed that I could move the king pin plate back and forth almost 2 inches with very little resistance and only using 1 hand. It would also move side to side slightly.

I called Demco and they said that a bushing was probably bad, it would be alright but might make some noise. You know what my answer was to that
They are sending a repair kit to my dealer.
I really wonder why this happened on a 1 year old trailer with only about 4,000 miles on it.

red

Hi Red ( Jim) sorry to hear that you are already having some troubles though not with the trailer it self. We are heading back to Smith Center the end of September as we have an appointment to have some slide repairs done.
Not too sure which direction we will go when we leave there but thought we would let you know just incase we get to your area on our way south to Florida. Would love to see you and Gloria again.Will be in Smith Center at least 3 if not more days. We have 3 nights reserved at the B&B in town.

Dick and Barb
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Hi Red ( Jim) sorry to hear that you are already having some troubles though not with the trailer it self. We are heading back to Smith Center the end of September as we have an appointment to have some slide repairs done.
Not too sure which direction we will go when we leave there but thought we would let you know just incase we get to your area on our way south to Florida. Would love to see you and Gloria again.Will be in Smith Center at least 3 if not more days. We have 3 nights reserved at the B&B in town.

Dick and Barb
Dick,
Give me a call or send me a PM if you get this way.
Would love to see you again.
red
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Dick,
Give me a call or send me a PM if you get this way.
Would love to see you again.
red
Teabag,

And I can vouch for a free lunch.......make sure they take you to "Whiskey Creek" and order up the biggest steak they have......then go the bathroom when the check comes.....works everytime.....unless red goes to the bathroom with you!!!!!

The redcow and Ms. Gloria are fine folks.....don't get them started on the Bluegrass Festival though........you'll have to stay another night!!! rockin'