Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Dexter brake actuator problems

Has anybody had problems with their Dexter Brake Actuator coming on partially? Stopped for fuel yesterday and heard the actuator operating. Truck was shut off checked for 12 volts on the yellow wire from the breakaway switch to the Actuator showed no power, checked the blue wire from the truck brake controller and showed no power. Unhooked the black wire and the actuator shut off. The brakes had been partially on because the inside of the trailer smelled of brakes, but I never felt it in the truck. Waiting on Dexter to call me back. This is with a 2013 Ram with integrated brake controller. Thank you, George
Geo-Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #2

I did have a brake problem on my 2013 Limited last spring. We left Clermont FL to head home, stopped on I-75 rest area just south of Ocala. This was probably 60-70 miles travel distance.
When I got out of the truck I smelled strong burning brake odor. Was surprised when it was mine! One of my wheels was so hot I could not touch it--like a wood stove. Took trailer over to Tri-Am Rv Excel dealer. Had to wait a couple of days before they could work me in. They jacked trailer up and could not find any problem. They check with Ralph who put them in contact with Dexter. Dexter said they had not had any problems with brakes.
Have been ok since. Just a fluke I guess. I do usually check an hour or so into a tow, now a little paranoid.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ol-Forester,
You may not want to hear this and I'm surprised that nobody at that service facility in FL told you but since the brakes ran very hot for 60-70 miles those shoes are ruined. Also since only one of your brakes was hot your brakes are not stopping the same from side to side. Once the shoes get that hot they will glaze. You can not remove the glaze by sanding because it's just not on the surface. When the shoes become glazed the coefficient of friction is severely reduced and your braking ability has been compromised. The shoes should be replaced.

Just letting you know for your safety. It's difficult to notice the difference in braking because of where the TT is located but believe me the wheels are applying a different stopping ability.

TeJay
Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Dexter is supposed to be shipping me a new actuator today. Hopefully it will arrive so I can install it and get back on the road.
Geo-Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #5

Your right, don't want to hear that. I do have disc brakes, not sure if that would make a difference. I don't notice any difference in braking.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The same glazing happens with shoes or drums. Yes it is still compromised and no you will not feel the differences in stopping ability. After all when you had the locking of the one drum you didn't notice it except for the brake smell when you stopped.

We had a Chrysler caliper drag on a front wheel and you could tell because it pulled to that side. When it's on the rear you won't know especially since you're towing the TT.

As long as you are aware of the issue give yourself a little extra stopping distance and you'll be OK.

Maybe a new set of pads when it is convenient would be advised. Also do yourself a favor and look up or Google "Burnishing brake pads/shoes." You'll be surprised at what you'll learn. Also you'll learn that you can do this yourself after a brake job.

TeJay

Tags
brake