Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #1

Besides cosmetics, what are the real differences between the RT and Classic? I see the weight capacities on the same model numbers (30RK*) substantially different. Is it due to Frame size? Axel capacity? Tire capacity? Tkx in advance.
mountain_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #2

Besides cosmetics, what are the real differences between the RT and Classic? I see the weight capacities on the same model numbers (30RK*) substantially different. Is it due to Frame size? Axel capacity? Tire capacity? Tkx in advance.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
There are fewer differences between the RT and Classic today than when the RT was introduced in 2004. The frames both have the same drop design, although I believe the RT is 2" smaller in height. The axles are lighter, as are the tires and wheels. Both models have gelcoat finishes and both carry the minus 10 degree guarantee. I believe the sidewalls, roof, and floor have the same insulation and framing. The floorplan choices are fewer with the RT, as are the options. You cannot order things that some full timers may want, such as washer/dryer, king size bed, central vacuum, hydraulic slides and jacks, etc. The interior trim level, carpeting, and cabinets are also different. Although there are a lot of differences between the two models, I would not consider the RT as an entry level trailer. We compared the Excel RT to many other trailer manufactures before we purchased one last year. We toured the plant and took many pictures. We found the Excel superior to most other units we had looked at. If you are interested in purchasing a new trailer, it is worth your time to tour the plant that builds them....sure was for us!
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mountain Man -
I second Camperguy's recommendation to visit the factory before you make your decision. We toured the factories of the two finalists on our short list with three pages of questions in hand. Made sure all the questions were answered and made the best choice, for us, from two outstanding manufacturers (both located in KS).

Happy hunting!
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
When we first started looking at the Excels, we were considering the RT. Peterson Ind., was willing to add some items that were listed as not being available on the RT (upgraded water pump, porcelain toilet, etc.). What finally swayed us to the Classic, though, was when we found out that, because of the way the RT is made, the King Suite couldn't be put in it. Since the King Suite was on our list of "must haves," we opted for the Classic, instead.

And, actually, we're really glad we went with the Classic. We love the granite-looking countertops in the kitchen and bathroom (the shower is made from the same stuff), and I really like the molded sinks that are one with the countertops rather than the drop-in sinks we've had in other RVs.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camperguy:
The axles are lighter, as are the tires and wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised to read this! Both the RT and the Classic in the same models have the same GVWR (15,000# in the case of our 30RKE), so I don't understand how the RT can carry the same weight it it has lighter axles, tires and wheels.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #7

Tkx mucho for all your responses. Yes a visit to the factory is planned.

To answer LindaH, according to the 2008 Excel brochure:

RT (all)
Combined Axle Wt. Rating 12,000
Max GVWR 15,000

Classic (all)
Combined Axle Wt. Rating 14,000
Max GVWR 17,500

This is what prompted my original question...
"Besides cosmetics, what are the 'real' differences between the RT and Classic?"
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mountain_man:
To answer LindaH, according to the 2008 Excel brochure: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then they've changed something from the 2007s to the 2008s.

In our 2007 brochure, the RTs, the Classics, and the Limiteds in the 30xxx models all have a GVWR of 15,000# with a combined axle rating of 12,000#. The Classics and the Limiteds don't go to the 17,500# GVWR and 14,000# combined axle weight ratings until the 33xxx models.

It's a good thing we got a 2007 30RKE, because at 17,500# GVWR, we wouldn't be able to pull it with our truck without being overweight (as it is, if we run with a full fresh water tank, we're 100# over the Excel's GVWR and the truck's GCWR). Although the increase in the grey water and black water capacities would have been nice.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mountain_man:
Tkx mucho for all your responses. Yes a visit to the factory is planned.

To answer LindaH, according to the 2008 Excel brochure:

RT (all)
Combined Axle Wt. Rating 12,000
Max GVWR 15,000

Classic (all)
Combined Axle Wt. Rating 14,000
Max GVWR 17,500

This is what prompted my original question...
"Besides cosmetics, what are the 'real' differences between the RT and Classic?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, Excels are getting too heavy to be able to handle safely even with a 1 ton DRW!

Bill
Dutch_man39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
If I'm not mistaken, the RT frame is not as heavy as on the Classic and Limited models.

RT=10" box
Classic=12" box

Or something like that.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote