Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Brian,
Is there a plan to change the old TV antennas to something new for next year? I believe that with the new digital format coming in Feb 2009, the old antennas won't work anymore.. at least that is the way I understand this. Is there a new digital antenna that can be used? I'm not sure if there will be a fix for the old antennas to make them work or not. I'm just curious as to what we will need to do to receive TV over the air. If this has previously be covered, please forgive me.!

Thanks

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
headinsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Brian,
Is there a plan to change the old TV antennas to something new for next year? I believe that with the new digital format coming in Feb 2009, the old antennas won't work anymore.. at least that is the way I understand this. Is there a new digital antenna that can be used? I'm not sure if there will be a fix for the old antennas to make them work or not. I'm just curious as to what we will need to do to receive TV over the air. If this has previously be covered, please forgive me.!

Thanks

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #3

I'm not the Excel guy, but I think I can answer the question. Antenna has nothing to do with it. If you already have a dish system, or hook up to cable at the campground, of course, no change from present system. If you use your antenna to receive broadcast tv, you will need the digital translator box.

These cost about $40 at your local big box store. Each family is allowed 2 coupons for a $40 discount toward purchasing the box.

www.dtv2009.gov

is the site to request your coupon(s).

Hope this helps a little.

G L Arnold
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
To the best of my knowledge, the antenna does not change. However, to make your older televisions (with NTSC tuners) work, you will need to invest in a converter box that receives over-the-air digital TV broadcasts for viewing on a TV that does not have a built-in digital (ATSC) tuner. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Da Kittens (Dora and Inky)
WldKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #5

You will definately need a converter box. Go to www.dtv2009 and apply for up to 2 coupons. There is a limit to the supply so don't wait.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Ahh so it's the tuner and not the antenna.. Ok thanks.. I may not have to do anything, My Tv's aren't that old.

Thanks

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
How can I tell if my TV is analog or digital?

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
All of the above posters are correct. The current Winegard antenna works fine for digital. At shows, we have already been tuning into digital stations with the current antenna and the picture is unbelievable.

Thanks,
Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Your instruction manual will indicate that you have a digital ATSC tuner. If you no longer have the instruction manual, you should be able to "Google" the brand name and model number for you TV(s) and find the specifications on-line.

Da Kittens (Dora and Inky)
WldKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #10

It is my understanding that no antenna changes are required. Last weekend I cranked up the antenna on by 2008 Damon and ran the TV through its signal acquisition sequence. Several analog stations of poor quality but one digital station with excellent quality - on both of the signals it was putting out. One advantage of digital - one station can send out many signals.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clspds:
How can I tell if my TV is analog or digital? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An easy way to find out is to using the remote switch to a local channel, eg. channel 10. Then try to select 10.001. It if is digital it will provide a picture or indicate the digital signal is too low. If all analog it will stay on the anaolog channel.

Chances are your 04 Excel has a pre-July 2007 TV and would not be digital.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #12

To be clear: There is no such thing as a digital antenna, period! Antennas are antennas and there is a high likelyhood that yours will work without issue in Feb. (see below). I see armchair experts debate this point on some of the forums and it drives me nuts because all they do is add to the confusion of the analogue shutdown.

NOW... Read THIS that I posted on another forum concerning the bandwidth of some Winegard batwing antenna amplifiers.

Other interesting Links:
Converter Coupons
Antennaweb
Solid Signals
DTV Answers
DTV.gov

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SCVJeff...good comments and thanks for the useful links.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Antennas are sized, cut and built for the FREQUENCY of transmission/reception, NOT the MODE of transmission/reception.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote