Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I've been reading on another web site about people having trouble with their brake controllers when they upgraded to a disc brake set up. Is the Excel disc brakes electro/hydrolic ? And what is the preferred controller that the factory recommends, if any. Some say that the Prodigy will soon fail with this set up. Anybody with any experience with this yet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I've been reading on another web site about people having trouble with their brake controllers when they upgraded to a disc brake set up. Is the Excel disc brakes electro/hydrolic ? And what is the preferred controller that the factory recommends, if any. Some say that the Prodigy will soon fail with this set up. Anybody with any experience with this yet?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #3

I am shopping for an Excel right now. I only RV for 4-5 months a year..all in one block of time. I am skeptical of the ability for hydraulics to tolerate 8 months of non-use without issues. plan to order " old style " drum brakes. Comments?
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
There are advantages of both brake systems.

Drums have been around for ever on fifth wheels, where Disc. are new in the last few years.
One thing in towing is that Disc are going to stay cooler in the operation of the brakes vs. drums. ON the other note if you have an issue with one of the drums you still have 3 other brakes to stop you, or assist in slowing you down. If you have a issue with a disc, re: blown seal, line brake, etc., you loose all brake. (would be the same thing on a truck or car, or almost similiar.) We have experience both brakes. WE like the affect of the disc. brakes, but I personally don't know if I would put them on my own unit. Spoke with a gentleman the other day that took his older unit (before disc. were really being considered) and he has had them installed on his unit. Wouldn't have anything but disc, according to him. So there are customers that are using disc, that are very satisfied with them. We use a Prodigy brake control in a 2003 Chevy. 1 ton 4 door dually, and it has performed very well for us on the disc brake applications that we have used.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We are going to install disk brakes. We are FTing and don't like the performance of the drum brakes in the hills. I've had the occassion to make an emergency stop and was not impressed. I have tried like the devil to find someone here in the Phoenix/Tucson area to do the installation and have had no luck. It's sad cause I could easily do it myself, except I don't have the facility to do it in. I don't think the golf resort we're in would appreciate it!!! So off we go to Mor/ryde in Elkhart. They do the conversion on a regular basis. Regarding your original question regarding the controller. It is my understanding that many controllers with work with acuators on disk brakes. However it all depends on the type of actuator. My suggestion is to contact the actuator manufacturer to see who THEY recommend for THEIR brand of actuator. I did contact Prodigy yesterday and they stated that they are coming out with a controller that will have a switch on it for both drum and disk brakes. The "P3" series is due out in early March. They can't recommend their current model because it has not been tested for disk brakes, but again it may work OK on some actuators and not on others. Enough for now. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #6

check with jim at michigan trailer sales in phoenix. I am sure he would install disc brakes for you
swellexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Swellexcel,
Thanks for the tip. I just sent Jim an email. Will let you know how it goes! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Roger
I'm going to link you to an on-going discussion about the merits of various axles/brake combinations. Escapees HDT Forum
Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
John, the following is a quote from the Escapees HDT Forum on the axles/brake combinations:

"The important thing to ask, "are these REAL disk brakes from Dexter or is it a muck-a-muck conversion by Moryde"?
Important differences:"

I won't list all the differences here...anyone interested can go to the original discussion.

However, what I want to know is which disk brakes does Peterson Industries put on the Excel: the "real" disk brakes from Dexter, or the "muck-a-muck" conversion from Mor/Ryde?

We have the Mor/Ryde suspension with the disc brakes on our Excel and we also have a Prodigy brake controller. The combination works very well, but, obviously, we haven't had our Excel long enough to have any problems with the Prodigy failing in this setup, so what I want to know is WHY would the Prodigy fail with disc brakes??? What to these "some" recommend instead?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Linda,
I'm not qualified to answer your question but I'm sure someone else will weigh-in. I provided that reference link for the information only -- I understand the member whose post you extracted the quote from is writing an article for the Escapee's MDT Newletter on brakes, axles, and brake controllers.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swellexcel:
check with jim at michigan trailer sales in phoenix. I am sure he would install disc brakes for you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Went over and visited the dealership today. I wasn't real impressed with service facility. Maybe 35 years in the auto service repair business makes me a bit fussy. The service dept. is a tin roof with poles in a yard. Couldn't find anyone to wait on me. Thanks for the recommendation though...I really appreciate it. Anyother suggestions? Tom