Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Worse come to worse I could buy something locally that fits the space. I don't care if it says Dometic on it. After reading of the failures, I'd prefer something else. As long as it has a stainless steel face, fits the space, works AND momma's happy, I'll be happy.
After three years, we got the F1 code followed by the F5 code followed by the entire unit going to the local landfill. We replaced it with a Whirlpool microwave (no convection) from Home Depot. Works great, looks good and we haven't missed the convection oven. Completely underwhelmed by Dometic.

- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
After three years, we got the F1 code followed by the F5 code followed by the entire unit going to the local landfill. We replaced it with a Whirlpool microwave (no convection) from Home Depot. Works great, looks good and we haven't missed the convection oven. Completely underwhelmed by Dometic.

- John
OK John......I hear ya on your post for sure.....but you guys (IE Ms. Janie), I know, are Eco nuts!!!!.....your Dometic is going to the local Best Buy Electronic Recycling center.....right? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I replied to their email advising me to return to my selling dealer last night. I explained the situation in more detail.

They called today and told me to pull the defective microwave and drop it off at their shop and they would do the warranty exchange.
Pulled the microwave last night.

Drop off today at the local Dometic service center close to my home..

Hopefully Dometic will have one at the Dallas warehouse.

If I don't have one before our next trip I'll use an old counter-top microwave the kids used in college.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
JDT

I looked and most brands of the over the range convection microwaves are essentially the same size. I know there is probably a different mounting system for each brand and am wondering if they are adequate for rv use. I think the Dometic is made for an rv and not sure if the mounting brackets are beefed up for all the bouncing.

We have had 2 GE Profile ovens in the house and they work great. We changed out to a new one a couple of years ago when we upgraded to stainless. Since the Sharp that was in the motorhome had been a pain I put the old one in it but had to do some modifications to make it work. Only had it in a few months before we sold the motorhome but did hear from the folks who bought it. They had driven it to Alaska and he didn't mention it falling out.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Got the call this morning that the new microwave was ready for pick-up.

They could come to my house and install it for a service call fee of $120 or I could pick it up and install myself.

Since I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, I drove over and picked it up.

Installation was easy. Requires 2 people and my wife was happy to help.

I tested it on microwave and convection. It worked on both.

Project complete.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Good for you Doc...persistances pay....

Let me know if you need anymore help on the R&R of that thing. I'm a bit of an expert on these things (practice makes perfect). Then you can be indebted to me to do a crown at Mexico prices!!!!
And Mexico quality too?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #35

Quote:
And I'll do it at Mexican quality.....
Oops I should have read the whole thread before answering. Sorry for the redundancy
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Got the call this morning that the new microwave was ready for pick-up.

They could come to my house and install it for a service call fee of $120 or I could pick it up and install myself.

Since I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, I drove over and picked it up.

Installation was easy. Requires 2 people and my wife was happy to help.

I tested it on microwave and convection. It worked on both.

Project complete.....
And for my valued expert assistance......only $60. Such a deal!!! I do take Mexican Pesos too!!!

So glad it's working good!!! rockinmouthpiece
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
And for my valued expert assistance......only $60. Such a deal!!! I do take Mexican Pesos too!!!

So glad it's working good!!! rockinmouthpiece
Tom, thanks for your help! Your advise was extremely beneficial.

Hopefully this one holds up more than 4 months.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Oops I should have read the whole thread before answering. Sorry for the redundancy
Great minds think alike!

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #39

Well after reading just about every post about the Domectic Convection F-5, I paniced. I just bought this motor home last month from Campers World. (Yeah I know) (they said they did a perfect check) (yeah I know now). Anyway, my dad taught me the Ford Philco TV set repair method. I coul dnot hit the micorwave and knock some sense back into her, but I did one better. After 2 days of trying to figure out the F-5 issue, I read every post, nothing, then I slammed the door. Whamo, it works perfect. I mean no more F-5 for three days now. So if your DOMECTIC Convection is giving you fits, SLAM TO DOOR. its broke anyway. Keep me posted. Maybe I was lucky. My dad said a good wack will always fix anything. Happy Slamming.
cdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Glad you found a temp fix. I had similar success after my first F5. But it shortly flatlined and stayed F5. Good luck. The good news is it is an easy replacement.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 06-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #41
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenault View Post
Well after reading just about every post about the Domectic Convection F-5, I paniced. I just bought this motor home last month from Campers World. (Yeah I know) (they said they did a perfect check) (yeah I know now). Anyway, my dad taught me the Ford Philco TV set repair method. I coul dnot hit the micorwave and knock some sense back into her, but I did one better. After 2 days of trying to figure out the F-5 issue, I read every post, nothing, then I slammed the door. Whamo, it works perfect. I mean no more F-5 for three days now. So if your DOMECTIC Convection is giving you fits, SLAM TO DOOR. its broke anyway. Keep me posted. Maybe I was lucky. My dad said a good wack will always fix anything. Happy Slamming.
I used to try that with the kids but it quit working. I couldn't replace them but I could the microwave, and I did. We like the Whirlpool.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Sorry cd......it's not fixed. F-5 has something to do the convection (or combined) overheat issue. I've had 3 Dometics with the dreaded F-5. When you get a oven that doesn't do it, the convection part never gets pass 400*F max. Just my experience. rockin'