Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Now that we have a new Excel (aka Didymop) it means we have new appliances and such to deal with. It seems our one headache is with the Dometic Microwave/Convection Oven. When trying to preheat to use the convection part (easy bake pizza time) it works for 1 minute and then stops, giving the error code F5.

So I Googled this and found folks have been having this issue with Dometic micro/convection error F5 since at least 2008. It's a sensor issue and the unit must be replaced. Fortunately the microwave works okay. Of course it's the Day of Thanks holiday time so there's no use calling them before Monday. And let's hope they'll send a replacement before we return this bad one.

So why hasn't Dometic fixed this problem in 4 years and why is Excel using a product that has continued issues?

Any one else had this problem with this item in your new Excel (ours is a 2012) or is it just us? We are also having an issue with our main air conditioning but I'll save that for another thread.

SGT Beth.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
We had the Dometic conv-micro in our 08 Excel--and had no problems with it ever. We now have it in the 13 Excel-been using it the last 6 months, and no problems yet. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
Now that we have a new Excel (aka Didymop) it means we have new appliances and such to deal with. It seems our one headache is with the Dometic Microwave/Convection Oven. When trying to preheat to use the convection part (easy bake pizza time) it works for 1 minute and then stops, giving the error code F5.

So I Googled this and found folks have been having this issue with Dometic micro/convection error F5 since at least 2008. It's a sensor issue and the unit must be replaced. Fortunately the microwave works okay. Of course it's the Day of Thanks holiday time so there's no use calling them before Monday. And let's hope they'll send a replacement before we return this bad one.

So why hasn't Dometic fixed this problem in 4 years and why is Excel using a product that has continued issues?

Any one else had this problem with this item in your new Excel (ours is a 2012) or is it just us? We are also having an issue with our main air conditioning but I'll save that for another thread.

SGT Beth.
Sarge,

Age old problem........you are right..... unit has to be replaced. On ours the convection and/or combo wouldn't work. Sometimes it would work for a minute or two and then set the dreaded F5. Micro on ours would continue working - no problem. I had the local dealer order the oven assy. and then I installed it and returned the oven to the dealer. Let them have the labor for handling deal for me.

Did have a friend help me as the oven is pretty heavy when taking out the last thru bolts and of course restarting the bolts on install. I can give you alot more info if needed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! Be thankful for all we have!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
JDT

No problems with ours yet but the wife says the convection part does not work near as well as the one in the stick house. If it goes will replace with something else.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Our convection/microwave works great. No problems (so far). But, it's only been a couple of months.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Used my microwave/convection oven (the convection mode) today for the first time. I was able to preheat the oven to 325 degrees to roast our turkey breast for our Thanksgiving meal. Seemed to work alright for us.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess I'm glad we got the GE Advantium in our rig! It's actually made for a stick house but it's still working fine after 10 years. Supposidly the RV ones are made to take the jouncing around that an RV does, maybe not?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Well, Rockin. It looks like you're the only one besides us who have had this problem. I wonder if its happening to us by association with you? Lets see; the microwave, the Manabloc.....by chance you didn't have AC issues too did you? I'll have to think about this.

So Monday we'll contact Dometic about local dealer and get it replaced. Gotta do the same with Coleman for the AC. It keeps locking/freezing up. Not a good thing as the temps are in the 80's and no breeze (surprisingly), and the fan boy has the week off.

SGT B
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Sarge,

Our last rig (Excel) had one replaced for the dreaded F5 code before we left the lot and then again later in its life (about 9 months) for the same thing.

Our new rig has only had one replaced the first couple of months and has been working right since. Keep you fingers crossed please. I really don't understand how most of the vendors to the RV manufacturers stay in business. Guess most customers are much more forgiving then are to the automotive industry. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
So as our blessings would have it, we mentioned the error code issue to Brian our RV sales guy at RV Sales in Moriarty and he suggested unplugging and repluggung the unit to try to reset it. We did.....and it worked!!!!! Preheated and baked a pizza tonight and no error code.

Yay.
SGT Beth
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop
So as our blessings would have it, we mentioned the error code issue to Brian our RV sales guy at RV Sales in Moriarty and he suggested unplugging and repluggung the unit to try to reset it. We did.....and it worked!!!!! Preheated and baked a pizza tonight and no error code.

Yay.
SGT Beth
Control Alt Delete!!
How are the MCD's working out?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post

Yay.
SGT Beth
Great.....this was a temporary fix for us as it comes back. Ours seem to be fixed with a replacement unit. rockin'
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I'm tellin ya Rockin....it must be by association. Out out spot.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Oh. And the MCD shades are absolutely awesome. One touch and they're open and a simple pull and they're down. Really block out the heat and early morning light too. Wise investment on our part I must say and highly recommended. And they don't get caught on the round window knobs that open these new fangled windows like the day/night shades did. No more restringing for me and shucks, I have many yards of cord left. I'm sure I can find a good home for it. Yay.