Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
JDT

Door Lockset

The lockset that came with our Winslow is about done and I need to replace it. I think I remember someone here replacing the standard set with an electronic version. It may have been Russell but not sure. Anyway, if someone has done it do you have a brand and model number or will anything work? There's a bunch of them on Amazon but only 2 are electronic as far as I can see. Thanks.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This is the one that I installed a few years ago. Works great.:
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...ry-system-v4-0

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
JDT

Thanks, Russell. I was looking at the 4.0 version but it appears the only difference, besides being cheaper, is the key pad, which I don't think is necessary with the fob.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I mounted the keypad in the storage area. The Texas sun would destroy it. For that reason I would advise the v3.0 over the v4.0. Also, get an extra key fob. One for you, one for your spouse.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
JDT

After looking at the alternatives I think I will spring for one. Since ours sits in our rv garage except for the 3 months or so we travel I'm not too worried about the sun. I did see that every once in a while they have a sale with a discount code. I think I'll wait to see what happens around Black Friday.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

I installed the Bauer keyless lock. Works great and no fob to keep up with. I do hide a key just in case the battery dies while I am away.

Bauer NE | Bauer Products
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We like the key fob because we don't have to stand on the steps to unlock or lock the door.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
RVLock is having Black Friday sale this week. From their Facebook page:
Here's a preview of our BLACK FRIDAY SAVINGS! We are having our BIGGEST SALE EVER with exclusive Black Friday discounts! Don't miss it because savings this high won't happen again anytime soon!
Sale starts at midnight (MST) Friday morning with 40% off until noon, 30% off the rest of the day, and 25% off the rest of the weekend through Monday. Set your reminders!
*webcodes will be on the website
*all times are Mountain Standard Time
*savings valid during specified times only
*spread the word!

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
RVLock is having Black Friday sale this week. From their Facebook page:
Here's a preview of our BLACK FRIDAY SAVINGS! We are having our BIGGEST SALE EVER with exclusive Black Friday discounts! Don't miss it because savings this high won't happen again anytime soon!
Sale starts at midnight (MST) Friday morning with 40% off until noon, 30% off the rest of the day, and 25% off the rest of the weekend through Monday. Set your reminders!
*webcodes will be on the website
*all times are Mountain Standard Time
*savings valid during specified times only
*spread the word!
Thanks for the info, Russell. I don't do Facebook but the wife does enough for both of us. I would have missed this, even though I did plan to check their website sometime on Friday. Now I need to do it before 1:00, CST. I will be up early anyway hitting the Lowe's Black Friday sale for some dirty Santa gifts for the guys in our family. I hope the discount applies to all their products as I want the 4.0 and an extra fob.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
JDT

Got up at 5:00 am to go to the Lowes's BF sale. Decided I would go ahead and order the locks before I left for the store. Hadn't even had my first cup of coffee when I opened up the laptop. Got the order done, with 40% off. Great, until I checked the order on email. Instead of the right handed lock I need I ordered the left hand version. I tried to call the company several times and emailed also, but I guess they were closed for the long weekend as no response. I will try again Monday and hopefully get the order corrected. There is absolutely no way to correct it online.

Lesson learned: Do nothing before the first cup of coffee.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Been there - done that. After reviewing, you ask yourself.......WTH was I thinkin'???!!! I started waiting until 9AM when coffee goes to wine. Much more successful!!! rockin' babblin' on....
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #12

We ordered the RV Lock keyless entry as a factory option with our '15 31 IKE. The concept is great and we really like the ability to lock up quickly and also not worry about keys if one of us was already out. Our lock had many issues, you frequently needed to enter the code two or three times before it worked and the lock completely failed a few times. I've got a door key hidden just in case.

The dealer replaced the keypad and then tried repairs before concluding recently the entire lock needed replacement. Fortunately our extended warranty came through again and the expensive replacement was covered. The new one is working fine although occasionally if you're not deliberate about pressing the keypad numbers and also keeping the lock or unlock key depressed until the lock activates it needs a second try. Hopefully this replacement will be trouble free since this is a feature worth having for us.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
JDT

Got the new lock set installed today. It appears to be well made. I just hope I don't have the issues Brad has had. I did run into one installation issue though. The surface area of the lock on both sides is wider than the original to accommodate the key pad and electronics, I suspect. It overlapped the aluminum lip of the door window on both the front and back by about a quarter of an inch which would not allow it to sit flush. I had to remove the window and used a Dremel to grind out a notch in the frames to match the latch. Hardly noticeable as it is but I will get some black silicone to fill the seam and I don't think it will be seen.

I'm kind of glad I removed the window as the only seal was some thin foam tape which I would think might allow a leak at some point. Sealed it this time with some rv type sealant.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Glad you got it in Jim. With the mods, I surprised you didn't take pix. I've got you on probation! Ha.

Thanks for sharing. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door