Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dreaming Again!

We went to the RV show in Albuquerque this weekend and got to see some of the new '13 designs! They sure are looking good. Bryan was there, so we got to ask tons of questions and got lots of answers.

I liked the newly designed bathroom with the larger shower. I'd only change two things there and it would be OK. I don't like the door swinging into the room. I'd prefer it coming out into the hallway. I'd also would want the sink cabinet at 36". It makes bending over the sink easier to wash up.

After closely looking at the new bedroom design, I'd be OK with it but would definitely have to have the laundry / closet area with a few storage modifications made to it. For us it's all about storage efficiency! Also I would not have the TV cabinet in the bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleep or playing, no TV. I sleep better that way.

The new IKE design has some great storage features. You can now have an 18 cu ft residential refer. Oh ya! No more hearing that the freezer is too full of fish so leave the fish in the lake / stream. The frig has a lot more area for fresh items. It'll make shopping easier. it also has an ice maker. That gets rid of the portable ice maker on the counter.

The kitchen island had plenty of counter space and can have flip up extensions added. That'll make for even more counter space.

The new overhead storage cabinets are deeper. They are now 12" deep. Also the pantry in the new design had sliding shelves that were HUGE!!! No more trying to figure out where to put some of the taller items and then unloading the shelf to get to it. Just pull out the shelf and it's there.

After living in an RV for over 4 yrs now, we decided that an oven is not needed. I'd opt now for just a 3 burner cooktop with, you guessed it, a storage cabinet underneath. That about all we use the oven for now anyway. Might as well set it up like we live.

The counter tops are nicer too. I liked the fact that they put in the large desk drawer under the TV. I'd only make one change there. I'd take away the shelf above the sub-woofer, make that door smaller and give the room to the stereo compartment to accept my VCR to CD recorder. Other than that, I like it! They are also bringing down more wires from the satellite dish for the newer receivers. Good thinking there for sure.

The new MCD electric day/night shades are really cool along with the clean look of the wood trim. This technology has been around for a while in the MH's.

For the dining table, I liked the desk/cabinet/table unit. It gives storage drawers and a good size table too. Really nice!

For flooring, I'd go with wood everywhere except the bedroom and slides and then use an area rug in the living area for decoration.

Outside the new thing is putting the battery storage under the rig in a box similar to the hydraulic pump compartment. it can accept 4 batteries. That's really nice for boon-docking even though we haven't had the need yet. With that change comes an even better thing, a larger storage entry door on the drivers side. They are now making a separate door for the equipment section and moving the storage door over. You can now have greater access from that side and more STORAGE because the battery box is gone. Good thinking there, for sure.

The central now has a hook-up in the basement on the drivers side. This is great for cleaning out the truck. Just pull the truck alongside and the vacuum will reach.

So sorry to those who liked the reel-EZ hose, it's gone. I've never used mine.

The full body paint really gives it a nice rich look. there I good color selections too. I think the only thing I'd add there is to carry the decals onto the sides of the slides. Now you're talking classy.

I also figured out a way to use the outside shades over the frameless windows without damaging the paint. That one is still up for debate though.

IMHO, PI has once again set the bar for quality, style and class in 5th wheels. After talking with Bryan, I'm even more convinced that they will continue to be the best in my book.

My congratulations to all of Peterson Industries employees for caring to produce the best. You are all what America is about, helping to keep America strong by your quality work. Thank you for a job well done!!

Oh BTW, Bryan says that if you hurry and order yours now, you could have delivery before Christmas! What a nice way to start the New Year!
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
JDT

We got the residential fridge and it is nice. Also, did away with the oven and put 3 large drawers underneath. Coming out of a motorhome that had 2 bath sinks we definitely miss that feature. Makes us have to share the bath which means I get 10 minutes and the wife gets an hour and a half. Sure hope she doesn't read this. We are not full timers so we can live with it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the nice update 99........some really great sounding features! Sounds like your talking yourself into a "fresh one". Your current rig is gettin' some whiskers on it, don't ya know???!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom
Thanks for the nice update 99........some really great sounding features! Sounds like your talking yourself into a "fresh one". Your current rig is gettin' some whiskers on it, don't ya know???!!! rockin'
Tom, I am always looking at what is out there. I hope the information gives others ideas of what is possible.

I don't ever need to TALK myself into anything. Roseann and I have always been ones who believe that when "the ducks are in a row" it's the right time for things to happen. The main thing for us is we always strive to get "our ducks" in a row before we act! We don't watch other people's "ducks"!

Tim
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We stopped at RV Sales in Moriarty, NM on our way to Durango last Saturday. It was the first time I'd had a chance to see an Excel 5th wheel up close and in person. They had both Limiteds and Winslows in stock. The 2013 models are impressive.

If my 2013 GMC 3500HD crew cab, standard bed, single real wheel drive, Duramax can handle the pin weight of a Limited 34IKE, I'll probably order one.

We have been shopping for a new 5th wheel for months. But I have not found one constructed to meet my standards. The Excel appears to fit the bill.

Can most, if not all, of the carpet be replaced with laminate flooring? We prefer hard flooring over carpet due to cleanliness and allergy concerns.

When I ordered my current Sunnybrook/MobileScout Titan in 2003 I had them delete the carpet in all areas possible with laminate flooring. They could delete all the carpet except for the slideout area. They explained it was needed due to their slide mechanism.

Is there a site where I can see all the full body paint options? Being in Texas I'd prefer as little black as possible on the exterior. It absorbs too much heat.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife
We stopped at RV Sales in Moriarty, NM on our way to Durango last Saturday. It was the first time I'd had a chance to see an Excel 5th wheel up close and in person. They had both Limiteds and Winslows in stock. The 2013 models are impressive.

If my 2013 GMC 3500HD crew cab, standard bed, single real wheel drive, Duramax can handle the pin weight of a Limited 34IKE, I'll probably order one.

We have been shopping for a new 5th wheel for months. But I have not found one constructed to meet my standards. The Excel appears to fit the bill.

Can most, if not all, of the carpet be replaced with laminate flooring? We prefer hard flooring over carpet due to cleanliness and allergy concerns.

When I ordered my current Sunnybrook/MobileScout Titan in 2003 I had them delete the carpet in all areas possible with laminate flooring. They could delete all the carpet except for the slideout area. They explained it was needed due to their slide mechanism.

Is there a site where I can see all the full body paint options? Being in Texas I'd prefer as little black as possible on the exterior. It absorbs too much heat.
I'd suggest that you give Kathy or Brian a call at RV Sales, 505-832-2400, and they can help you with every bit of information you need. I know when we spoke with Bryan, he indicated that just about anything you'd like done, within reason, is possible. Some things cannot be done on certain models. For instance, I'm not sure about painting a Winslow but IKE features can be put in a Limited, I think, which can be painted.

What are your truck limits? Go from there on trailer choices. That'll be you're limiting factor unless you're willing to let the trailer determine the truck requirements. Either way have fun!

Tim
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
What are your truck limits? Go from there on trailer choices. That'll be you're limiting factor unless you're willing to let the trailer determine the truck requirements. Either way have fun!

Tim
Based on the info given, the new one ton GM dually will tow almost everything that PI builds! Ask Tim of TeamJ, he's right up at the top end of the specs with his beautiful new WC!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
....What are your truck limits? Go from there on trailer choices. That'll be you're limiting factor unless you're willing to let the trailer determine the truck requirements. Either way have fun!
I ordered my truck in December 2011 and outfitted it with every available option for maximum payload. It has a 12K lb GVWR. The rear axle is rated at 7K lbs, which is the sum of the E rated tires.

The truck weighed in at 7860 lbs (4680 front and 3180 rear) with a full fuel tank and me (200lbs). It did not have a 5th wheel hitch installed at weigh in.

I would like to keep the loaded pin weight less than 3500 lbs.

I have considered changing the rims to 17.5" and run the truck with J rated Michelin tires if I need to increase my comfort zone. I'll need to see what the rear axle itself is rated for.

I require a single rear wheel drive, standard bed because I live in an urban area and the truck is my daily driver. I work full time, but I'm self employed. We average about 50 nights per year in the RV. Since '99 we have RV'd through all the lower 48 states.

We had looked at DRV Suites, but their actual pin weights are much higher than the published pin weights. NuWa is another option, but they don't have a floorplan we like.

I am open for advise.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 07-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Based on the info given, the new one ton GM dually will tow almost everything that PI builds! Ask Tim of TeamJ, he's right up at the top end of the specs with his beautiful new WC!!! rockin'
Tom,
You need to look closer. He only has a SRW!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I ordered my truck in December 2011 and outfitted it with every available option for maximum payload. It has a 12K lb GVWR. The rear axle is rated at 7K lbs, which is the sum of the E rated tires.

The truck weighed in at 7860 lbs (4680 front and 3180 rear) with a full fuel tank and me (200lbs). It did not have a 5th wheel hitch installed at weigh in.

I would like to keep the loaded pin weight less than 3500 lbs.

I have considered changing the rims to 17.5" and run the truck with J rated Michelin tires if I need to increase my comfort zone. I'll need to see what the rear axle itself is rated for.

I require a single rear wheel drive, standard bed because I live in an urban area and the truck is my daily driver. I work full time, but I'm self employed. We average about 50 nights per year in the RV. Since '99 we have RV'd through all the lower 48 states.

We had looked at DRV Suites, but their actual pin weights are much higher than the published pin weights. NuWa is another option, but they don't have a floorplan we like.

I am open for advise.
It looks like you have room to spare with your weights. The main thing will be to DW from taking too many shoes. Then you're good to go. Seriously, when you load up, keep as much of the heavier stuff in the rear of the basement and lite stuff up front. We are FT loaded and well under the 18,750 allowed.

If you're looking at the 33' - 34' range, you should be really good to go all the way around.

Enjoy the ride & life!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
JDT

Russell, if you read my last post on the Winslow pin weight you will see where I lit with mine. I have about 3000 lbs of pin weight with a Splendide washer dryer and a bunch of clothes hanging in the closet. I ordered my truck in March and it has an 11,100 pound payload. You said yours is 12K and I wish I would have known I could do that. I did put a set of Timbrens on mine which have a 2500 pound capacity but I still work with the truck's original weight rating. The Timbrens are just insurance, nothing more.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Russell, if you read my last post on the Winslow pin weight you will see where I lit with mine. I have about 3000 lbs of pin weight with a Splendide washer dryer and a bunch of clothes hanging in the closet. I ordered my truck in March and it has an 11,100 pound payload. You said yours is 12K and I wish I would have known I could do that. I did put a set of Timbrens on mine which have a 2500 pound capacity but I still work with the truck's original weight rating. The Timbrens are just insurance, nothing more.
Jim, thanks for posting the pin weight on your Winslow. That makes me more optimistic.

I went out and checked my truck. I was incorrect about the GVWR. Mine is 11,500, not 12K as I previously posted.

The rear axle weight rating was also mis-reported. It is 7050 lbs, not 7K as previously posted.

Sorry....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fife IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	24165  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1760.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	24166  

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
JDT

Not sure how the rear kitchen in our Winslow affects the pin weight but it would seem with the appliances in the rear instead of the middle there would be something, but maybe not. We love the roominess of the living area with the rear kitchen, especially after we eliminated the j sofa and put a standard one in its place. We added the roll around kitchen cart and a pullout counter extension which gives us plenty of counter space.

My truck has the same 7050 rear capacity but 5200 in the front, probably because it is a 2 wheel drive.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom,
You need to look closer. He only has a SRW!
Oh 99, you are right again......I need to take my "Shiraz" colored glasses off.