Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Dropping Toilet Bolt into Blacktank

A very good friend accidently dropped a toilet attaching bolt down into the black tank. He lifted the trailer up in front and tried flushing the black to no avail. Here's what I told him, Anyone got any better ideas? We need to team up to help. We are powerful together! Here's what I sent him.

After thought, I think I'd take it in a logical fashion, easiest first, then make the next move. Here's the approach I'd do.

1. Jack up the front of the rig. Fill the black tank with water with the flusher and get it reasonably full. Then drain the black. Hopefully by having the tank full you'll get a fast flow and move the bolt out. May have to coarsely screen the black water, with maybe chicken wire, or something to see if you got that damn old bolt. Are you with me???

2. Wonder if you could have a very strong magnet on a handle of some sort and attempt to go thru the valve access panel area and run along the bottom of the tank and get it to the drain outlet area. May be difficult to get this between the insulation and the tank, but worth a shot. Then do another full fill flush as indicated in item 1.

3. If all above fails, remove the black valve (which would include the sewer manifold), and go up inside with a strong magnet and handle like above. (I would have a fresh set of blade seals on hand, as when tampering with these valves.....I found that they leak some internally after disturbing the valves.)

4. If that doesn't work.......leave the bolt in there......if you can't get it out by ways listed above, chance are, it ain't going no where. I would however be cautious on quick closing of the black valve when dumping, just in case it gets in the way. That may damage the plastic blade and cause an internal leak and would have to be replaced if not closed carefully.

Let me know how this comes down. Wished I was there to help.

May not be a bad idea to call PI and talk with Jack or Ralph and see what they say. Only the cost that of a phone call.

Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Has he already tried holding the toilet flush valve open and going down into the black tank through the toilet with a magnet? I wouldn't think the bolt would have moved too far from where it fell (OK, I'm an optimist - with my luck, the bolt would be brass).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Rusty,
Thanks. I thought of that first, however, he said the drain has a pretty big bend in it and it would be difficult to get a magnet down that way into the tank. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I would not worry about any thing that drops into the black tank unless it was a piece of jewelry…I had one of those toilet bowl fresheners that hang on the side of the bowl and that fell in one day, low and behold six weeks latter I found it in my sewer hose…I have dropped the caps for the chemical several time….I just don’t think the odds of that bolt stopping at the gate of the valve and preventing the valve to completely close is very slim..if the bolt comes out it will be in the bottom of the sewer hose…

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I like option #4. Could be stainless also. After a bumpy drive with some water in the tank it should migrate to the lowest point, the valve area.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your input B2. I'm thinking the down the same lines. rockin'
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
This is another vote for leave it in the tank. Go to your favorite hardware store and get another bolt. Worry not, like all things in life, the bolt will pass.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks all.....just got a email back and he says the bolt is brass and not magnetic. So much for that idea. rockin'

Any others have ideas or comments?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks all.....just got a email back and he says the bolt is brass and not magnetic. So much for that idea. rockin'

Any others have ideas or comments?
Rockin I think I told you that I had done the same thing and what I ended up doing was flush the tank real good then I took my shop vac( 5hp) and hooked a 1 1/2 vac hose to it using a reducer and duck tape and then went through the 3 inch ( disconnected the easy drop) backwards into the black tank and just kept pushing and moving the small hose around ( in-out and twisting) and after awhile I heard it get sucked into the hose but took time.

Dick Smith
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, Send your friend one of your eighteen tiny gorillas. Have it go into the black water tank look for the bolt and retrieve it. When the tiny gorilla comes out, place it directly into the show to clean it up.

See how simple that was.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Rockin, Send your friend one of your eighteen tiny gorillas. Have it go into the black water tank look for the bolt and retrieve it. When the tiny gorilla comes out, place it directly into the show to clean it up.

See how simple that was.

Still, Are you into the wine again???? I thought so.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This definately falls into the ...Whoops I should not have done that ...category.

I hope that this is one of those ...it toowill pass in time.

When pulling the toilet, this is always one of my big concerns. I keep a big wad of rags ready to stuff in the pipe as soon as I get the toilet clear.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
RockheadTommie,
Short version of what is going thru my head...this is a $0.75 bolt at best. I don't understand why anyone go to all this trouble to retrieve it from a BLACK water holding tank? Where's the logic?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John Galt" View Post
RockheadTommie,
Short version of what is going thru my head...this is a $0.75 bolt at best. I don't understand why anyone go to all this trouble to retrieve it from a BLACK water holding tank? Where's the logic?
Murphy's Law.

Most of us would end up having the bolt move and get caught in the black water drain valve and damaging it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote