Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
We have just taken possession of a new 2008 Ford F450 and we are reading that the Tow Command System does not always work with electric/hydraulic brakes which we assume we will have when we order our rig with Mor-Ryde Suspension with Disc Brakes (we plan on doing real soon).

We thought we had this all covered but now we don't know what to do. If we need to install an independent brake controller, which one? We have read about the Brakesmart as it supposedly works with electric and electric/hydraulic brakes but we admittedly know nothing about brake controllers. We just want to be sure that we can stop. Your thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John & Terri
John & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
We have just taken possession of a new 2008 Ford F450 and we are reading that the Tow Command System does not always work with electric/hydraulic brakes which we assume we will have when we order our rig with Mor-Ryde Suspension with Disc Brakes (we plan on doing real soon).

We thought we had this all covered but now we don't know what to do. If we need to install an independent brake controller, which one? We have read about the Brakesmart as it supposedly works with electric and electric/hydraulic brakes but we admittedly know nothing about brake controllers. We just want to be sure that we can stop. Your thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John & Terri
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You might want to read this thread about the Ford integrated brake controller.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
John & Terri,

The Tow Command system in our 2006 F350 works fine with the Mor-Ryde IS & Disk Brake option in our 2008 35FLR. It was a "Plug & Play" situation. Just plugged the umbilical cord into the connector on the truck and everything worked first time.

Enjoy!
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:39 AM   #5

FWIW, I also had heard this about the IBC and IS, so I contacted MOR/ryde directly and received this response from Gary Wheeler: "We have heard rumors there were issues but we have installed systemswith the 08' Ford brake controller and have not had any issues." I suggest you get in touch with the vendor and determine what the process is to resolve any potential issues.

DeepDoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim & Bona:
John & Terri,

The Tow Command system in our 2006 F350 works fine with the Mor-Ryde IS & Disk Brake option in our 2008 35FLR. It was a "Plug & Play" situation. Just plugged the umbilical cord into the connector on the truck and everything worked first time.

Enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "problems" are with 2005, and 2008 models only. 2006 and 2007 models will work fine with electric over hydraulic controllers. The HD3000 hydraulic pump works with any year Ford product, but I believe the HD3000 is no longer available. (adding to the mess)

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their comments. John spent time talking to: Mor-Ryde, PI, Dexter, and local Ford dealer. It apparently all comes down to matching the correct actuator with the Ford Tow Command System and also being sure that the 7-pin connector or wiring is not faulty. We shall see . . . As the 5th wheel will be ordered in the next couple of days, we want to be sure that we will have brakes when we need them.

Thanks again.

John and Terri
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Help!!

Since July 07, I've been towing my Dexter disc brake equipped 07 33RSE with my 07 F350 Tow Command truck. All has been well until December 07, when the brake controller started working-not working. Meaning it does not lock the brakes when I hit the pedal, but will work when I squeeze the manual control.

One month ago, I talked with Dexter, and had obtained a letter from Dexter thru PI that these systems are compatible. Except it ain't working right. I'm using the E/H 1600 Brake Actuator.

Any further insights into this brake sys?

Thnx.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I would take you truck to a local RV service center that installs brake control systems. They possibly will have a tester that plugs into your 7 way and they can test the complete system, turn signals, clearance, 12vt charge, and the brake system. It is a magnet tester, but it will still tell if the control is working from the pedal, or just from the slide bar. If it only works from the slide bar, then I would attempt to say that the control is failing and needs to be replaced. Hold on if you replace with Ford direct, I was told that the control system is quite expensive.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
An RV tech tested my truck and trailer. He had a homemade box with a lightbulb for each function of my trailer plug. He plugged it into the truck. All bulbs lit when I threw the controller lever as well as stepped on the brake pedal.

Except, as you know, it doesn't work when I plug my trailer cable directly into the truck.

Tech thinks the controller is putting out enough current for the actuator.

Fortunately the truck is under warranty, so they should replace it.

Tech will call Ford central. I guess I should take it to a Ford dealer, except they may not have a tester to confirm. Tho I guess they could put a volt meter on it?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I am wondering if you are getting voltage to the pump on the trailer, and or is the unit low on fluid. On way to check the pump is to pull the brake-a-way cable and make the volt go direct to the pump. You will be able to here the pump activate when you attempt this. If it does not, then I would go direct to the pump with a 12vt source and see if the pump will work. If it does, then would start to check for a break in the wiring, weather at a wire nut or connection. You can take a pair of needle nose pliers or a jumper wire and connect from the 12 post on the male end of the pigtail and take the other to the brake lead. (which I believe are 11 oclock and 7 oclock looking at that the plug, be sure to double check that first, or I can for you, mind is not working in the office 100%). Here are some starting points that you can attempt on your trailer to see if it is working with out moving it.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #12

Bruce,
something I found when we first hooked the trk and trailer somtimes the trailer brakes worked somtimes not done all the usual ckeckin fluid ,cord ect the ckecked the wires on the termanal strip and guess what the crimps made at he factory were bad as in the wire was not pushed all the way in when the crimp was made. cked the others and the same thing. bottom line redid all connections with new stakons and crimped -no more troubles so much for QC at he factory
george

george25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions. Status report:

Recall that the Dexter actuator works as advertised with the trailer parked and using the manual slide bar control. Plus I tested it today with the breakaway switch - works that way too. For the heck of it I checked all the wiring from the actuator to the power posts. OK connections. Since I can make the actuator work in two conditions, seems to me that I've eliminated wiring and power to the actuator as the source of the problem.

However, the actuator does not work in three conditions: press the brake pedal with the trailer parked; press the brake pedal while towing; and throw the brakes using the manual slide bar control while towing.

Dexter says that the 07 Tow Command controller works with this electric over hydraulic actuator. The Ford manual says it does not work with electric over hydraulic brakes. I towed with this system from July to December 07 prior to this failure in December, so I believe that the system is compatible. I believe it started in December as erratic, and quickly stopped working. I have not added any options to the truck or trailer at all since I started towing.

I get no error messages on the controller panel. The dashboard reads TRAILER DISCONNECTED after it fails to throw the trailer brake.

I took it to a Ford dealer last week. They said that they tested it and it worked fine. We messed around with it today ourselves, with, among other things, a 12v test light and replicated the slide bar Yes and brake pedal No condition.

I don't know what else to do except hound Ford and Dexter for answers. I could install an aftermarket controller, but I'm still not certain of the cause, so hate to possibly throw good money after bad. The Tow Command system cost me $450 when I ordered the truck.

I need to fix this in the next two weeks before we leave our Phoenix park to drive thru the hills north and west.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

I'm confused by a couple of your statements. Help me understand correctly. Does your trailer brakes apply when you use the manual slidebar? Your first statement on the original post is yes and the latest statement indicates no.

Based on all the info you gave us, if your getting braking on the slide bar and not under braking (assuming controller is not turned way low) I'd say your dealing with a brake controller issue. Especially since your unit worked for sometime when new.

I've found most brake controller manufacturers don't want to admit that their controller works with various actuators (even if they do) as they claimed they haven't been tested or designed to function with that brake actuator in mind. That way they don't have to claim any responsibility if there is an issue. That is the case with my older Priodgy unit and it functions fine with my Actibrake actuator (owned by Kodiak).

Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote