Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Excel Dometic Weather Pro Windsensor Issues

Just wondering if anyone knows if Dometic has ever come out with a well functioning wind sensor. On both of our last two Excels we have the subject awnings. On both the temperature aspect of the sensor functions well. Another words, if the ambient temp drops to 34*F or colder the awning retracts as designed. The windsensor part of it is useless. No matter what you set the windspeed on with the control module...it will retract randomly without regard to windspeed, or not retract with a very high wind situation set on the lowest setting. This issue is exactly the same on both rigs. Replacement of the windsensor sensors has changed nothing.

Now....on my current rig the windsensor won't work at all no matter how much wind there is on any windspeed setting. And yes I do have it set to automatic operation thru the control module.

I'm interested in hearing from you if you know of an update or fix. As you know Dometic won't talk with you if you're not a dealer. Thanks, rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
The sensor seems to work very well on ours, at least so far this first year. Its factory set at about 13 mph if I remember correctly, but it has worked just as its supposed to. We have been able to predict nearly exactly when it is going to go in, if the wind is blowing. With that being said, its not something I will ever trust completely-and if we leave the rig it goes in. I also am not sure if we have the same kind of awning or if PI went to something else. I think ours is the 9500 E.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
The sensor seems to work very well on ours, at least so far this first year. Its factory set at about 13 mph if I remember correctly, but it has worked just as its supposed to. We have been able to predict nearly exactly when it is going to go in, if the wind is blowing. With that being said, its not something I will ever trust completely-and if we leave the rig it goes in. I also am not sure if we have the same kind of awning or if PI went to something else. I think ours is the 9500 E.

Thanks BM....you're the first one I've heard of that says yours works correctly. That's encouraging....cause it tells me they've finally got the issue fix....maybe. Just what I wanted to know. Anyone else have one that works? rockin'

BTW. I would never leave my awning down unattended even if it worked correctly. They can not get an awning in fast enough if a dust devil or the like come up.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Tom, my wind sensor on my EL works great.

When the wind blows I push the button and retract the awning.

I have not failed yet....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Tom, my wind sensor on my EL works great.

When the wind blows I push the button and retract the awning.

I have not failed yet....
Doc,

I'm surprised EL has one of them-thar EEEEletric gismos!!! Thanks for the update and laugh.....I needed that!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine has never worked. Control panel and sensor replaced twice under warrenty. Still no worky.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I downloaded a manual for the awning. tried the different settings. No change. If someone sneezes walking by the awning retracts. replaced the sensor, same thing. I even put a Red solo cup over it and it still retracted. I use it only on manual mode and I can make the decision to extend or retract the darn thing. safe travels,,,, ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
So the one that they used on this rig must be different. I checked, it is a 9500 E. It has lateral arms that go straight out, and there is no control panel or such. The only control is a remote control. The one thing I don't like about it is that there is no adjustment for lowering the front down if in a situation where the sun peeks through as it begins to get lower in the sky. It goes nearly straight out from the rig.

However, not having had a power awning before, we do like the convenience of just pushing the remote control button. Especially when going to bed at night or getting up in the morning.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
BM, you dont have a panel in ur basement where u can set the wind speed for automatic activation or to turn the system on or off? Mine hase several wind speed settings and a switch to activate or turn off the automatic function, plus a key fob remote control. The automatic wind sensor has never worked in any wind condition.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
BM, you dont have a panel in ur basement where u can set the wind speed for automatic activation or to turn the system on or off? Mine hase several wind speed settings and a switch to activate or turn off the automatic function, plus a key fob remote control. The automatic wind sensor has never worked in any wind condition.
Amen Chief on the wind sensor,

We have 9100 series Weather Pro model

BM has the 9500 E which is a different animal....it's a fancy-smancy one which I know little about, but can see from the Dometic website that it is quite different in design. The arms like we have on the ends, the 9500 has the arms under the fabric about a foot or two in from the ends. Like some MoHos have. Maybe the control box in packed away somewhere. rockin'
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Both of my 9100's retract when ever they feel like it with no wind at all and not even close to the low temperature limit. I open the awning's when we get to our destination and unplug the power wire from each controller. I've seen them flap in the wind so hard and not retract that I have to put them in manually. Considering the warranty issues I've had this doesn't even bother me since this one is very low on the long list. The best option I purchased for my unit has been the extended warranty.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Both of my 9100's retract when ever they feel like it with no wind at all and not even close to the low temperature limit. I open the awning's when we get to our destination and unplug the power wire from each controller. I've seen them flap in the wind so hard and not retract that I have to put them in manually. Considering the warranty issues I've had this doesn't even bother me since this one is very low on the long list. The best option I purchased for my unit has been the extended warranty.
Yours is just like mine.....with this kind of info......Dometic is gonna hafta admit there's something wrong here........Thanks guys and send more cases please.

We paid extra to have a windsensor that operates at least somewhat decent. rockin'
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
No, none of that. The only control is the remote. Wind speed settings are on the sensor-which is right on the awning in back of the front cover of the awning which extends and retracts.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
a better mouse trap! finally..Maybe the wind will tear mine down and the ins co will help me with the new generation!...Kidding of course.

Tags
dometic, excel