Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Tom, we have the Avena foam mattress from Camping World. It is over 10 inches thick and works great. When we changed to our excel we opted to swap our mattress for the one PI provides. We feel we made the right choice. We had this mattress almost 2 years and it provides a wonderful nights rest. We do turn it over every month to keep from making pockets where you lie. Check it out at the following link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rt-queen/56064
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Thanks all for the info folks.

RBurke,

Can I assume that the top part of the mattress is a seperate piece from the bottom?.....otherwise you'd have a hard time flipping them once a month. rockin'

Is yours considered a short queen mattress? Thanks! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks Greez, we turn the mattress over about every 3 months. Your theory makes good sense. rockin'
Thats not theory,we were a manufacturer for quite a few years.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Thats not theory,we were a manufacturer for quite a few years.

I stand corrected. We can't turn the mattress over as it has a pillow top on it. We rotate it end to end every three months. Sorry. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
While our pillowtop king mattress sits on a plywood base, we put a 3" (may be 4") memory foam pad on top. We were going to switch it out for a Select Comfort mattress, but decided to try the memory foam first since it was less expensive. So far, we haven't found any reason to change.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

It is a one piece mattress and me and my wife flip it over without any problems, just a little patience working with the my loving wife.

Yes it is a short queen as both of us are on the short side.

We tried to use the supplied mattress in our other RV but my back could not take it. SOS, I thought of changing to a sleep number mattress, but my wife preferred a foam one, hence the Avena. It really is quite comfortable.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
Tom,

It is a one piece mattress and me and my wife flip it over without any problems, just a little patience working with the my loving wife.

Yes it is a short queen as both of us are on the short side.

We tried to use the supplied mattress in our other RV but my back could not take it. SOS, I thought of changing to a sleep number mattress, but my wife preferred a foam one, hence the Avena. It really is quite comfortable.

I'm lost RBurke, the info I'm reading says this.....
  • 10-inch thick supportive mattress
  • 3-inch top layer of Isotonic memory foam with Active Air Technology for improve air flow
  • 7-inches of high density base foam
  • Knitted rayon cover included
  • Made in USA
This leads me to believe that the top 3" is special foam. How can you turn this mattress over? What am I missing here? Help! Thanks, rockin'
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Yep, maybe I am mis-stating...turn it around is better. Swap the feet end for the head end. Sorry didn't mean to confused everyone.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
Yep, maybe I am mis-stating...turn it around is better. Swap the feet end for the head end. Sorry didn't mean to confused everyone.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tom, I pulled out the very weak and unsupported box spring and build a ply woul deck and put the PI mattress back on the new deck. Much imporved but to low. We bought a 12" Serta Icomfort memory/gel infused matress. Can you say Perfect!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Again, thanks for all inputs. We'll just havta see what we'll do. Those mattress's are pretty pricy. Cuts into my wine cellar budget! rockin'
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I sure would not want you to be short on Vino intentory just in case we find ourselves parked next to you!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Here's the pic of my box springs removal and a piece of 3/4" exterior grade plywood install. My bride is quite happy now with the feel of the original mattress. Happy days are here again!!!! I lined the plywood with felt material from Jo-Anns so that the mattress doesn't get snagged when changing the sheets or moving mattress for any reason. I used spray adhesive and staples to secure. Doubled felt in the hinge area. Original gas struts worked fine. Thanks to all that help me do this little job. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (Copy).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	38690   Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (Copy).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	38691  

Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Good job Tom. I need to do the same thing.

Tags
excel