Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hi everyone, this is bob, alias Maverik.Finally found the right opportunity to get back with you. Currently, just sold the stick home and now living full time in our 05CLO36 limited.

Thought I would share my journey and give thanks to all in the forum for the great info you have been exchanging with each other ---no other comment on this statement.

Wo8 was in Fl until march, then Detroit until April and then in Yellowstone National Park from April until current date. Sharing this itenary for it waS A LEARNING LESSON specifically about my excel home.

I learned real fast that many times when things were in need of fixing, dealer help was not readidly available. Before leaving Fl, I paid a dealer to replace the Microwave and repair three slides for leakes---to the tune of multiple K $$$$. IN YELLOWSTONE, HAD TO REPLACE THE mICROWAVE THAt FELL OFF THE WALL that was never braced in front. AND then found three slides that had wet and rotting boards---yes the ones that a dealer said they fixed for me. Coincidentally, at the same time, the excel forum was discussing floor slide replacements. One comment that transformed my thinking was one member that stated he had to learn one way or the other to fix rotting slide floors because trips to SC was notalways possible.

Well today, after 2 1/2 weeks on my back and limited tools, I now consider myself very capable in accomplishing the task. Thanks to the forum members posting and SC info in coaching and guidance.

Here is what I have learned to do while on the road without eaSY ACCESS TO A DEALER.

lEARNED HOW TO REDUCE $250.00 SERVICE REPAIR to only 2.50 in our heating system---I know some of you have the same situation I had---the secret is information that all of us could use.
I'll explain in my next posting.

Found a dryer lent brush that cleans our dryer vent and increases drying efficiency---very inexpensive tool

Learned that if one adds the adjustable water gauges, they should learn about the water clamps and the special tool needed to clamp them.

acquired odor problem but found solution on our forum.

I will discuss these in additional forum postings and give each one due cause. Sorry no pictures---just lucky to get on internet here in the wilderness---hard and slow. too many people sending pictures and videos at this time

Luv our Excel, especially after I internalized the staement that I am towing an earthquake on wheels that is caused by our great orange marked Highways.

Also have been able to sort out what I want to accomplish and see and am leaning towards leaving the limited for a classic 35.
Once again, thanks all. Your slide out expert in making Maverik (bob)

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hi everyone, this is bob, alias Maverik.Finally found the right opportunity to get back with you. Currently, just sold the stick home and now living full time in our 05CLO36 limited.

Thought I would share my journey and give thanks to all in the forum for the great info you have been exchanging with each other ---no other comment on this statement.

Wo8 was in Fl until march, then Detroit until April and then in Yellowstone National Park from April until current date. Sharing this itenary for it waS A LEARNING LESSON specifically about my excel home.

I learned real fast that many times when things were in need of fixing, dealer help was not readidly available. Before leaving Fl, I paid a dealer to replace the Microwave and repair three slides for leakes---to the tune of multiple K $$$$. IN YELLOWSTONE, HAD TO REPLACE THE mICROWAVE THAt FELL OFF THE WALL that was never braced in front. AND then found three slides that had wet and rotting boards---yes the ones that a dealer said they fixed for me. Coincidentally, at the same time, the excel forum was discussing floor slide replacements. One comment that transformed my thinking was one member that stated he had to learn one way or the other to fix rotting slide floors because trips to SC was notalways possible.

Well today, after 2 1/2 weeks on my back and limited tools, I now consider myself very capable in accomplishing the task. Thanks to the forum members posting and SC info in coaching and guidance.

Here is what I have learned to do while on the road without eaSY ACCESS TO A DEALER.

lEARNED HOW TO REDUCE $250.00 SERVICE REPAIR to only 2.50 in our heating system---I know some of you have the same situation I had---the secret is information that all of us could use.
I'll explain in my next posting.

Found a dryer lent brush that cleans our dryer vent and increases drying efficiency---very inexpensive tool

Learned that if one adds the adjustable water gauges, they should learn about the water clamps and the special tool needed to clamp them.

acquired odor problem but found solution on our forum.

I will discuss these in additional forum postings and give each one due cause. Sorry no pictures---just lucky to get on internet here in the wilderness---hard and slow. too many people sending pictures and videos at this time

Luv our Excel, especially after I internalized the staement that I am towing an earthquake on wheels that is caused by our great orange marked Highways.

Also have been able to sort out what I want to accomplish and see and am leaning towards leaving the limited for a classic 35.
Once again, thanks all. Your slide out expert in making Maverik (bob)

05 Excel CLO36
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #3

Bob, it sounds like you have been busy and learning alot. Glad to hear that you have been able to handle what comes along. I always enjoy others experiences when it comes to RV repairs and maintenance, have learned there can be several approaches. Look forward to your posts.

Now you need to get the pocket knife out an carve 'Maverik's RV Repair' and hang out your shingle on the front of the 5'er.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mav,
We've been missing you! Hurry up and get to a place where they have internet access so you can tell us how you found the wet slide bottoms after they were repaired and the rest of your secrets.
Bubba
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
making smoke and workshop. Great to hear from you. Yesterday, I wrote a lengthy reply on
slide repair and experience especially related to the 05clo36 Limited. Don't know what happened, but when I pressed SEND, after 20 minutes the system went blank. Service in the Volcano (YNP) is very limited. Sometimes it takes two days before verizon receies any voicemal sent my way. I won't quit trying to stayin in contact. Workshop, in my message, I sincerely let you know how much your posts have helped this neophyte. Bubba, if my next message fails, I'll try PM to you on some specifics for our limited model.

Have learned one thing in Yellowstone and that Bear Bait is defined AS A PERSON WITH WADERS, FISHING POLE. AND A CREEL LOADED WITH FISH AND/OR LUNCH GOODIES. wHEN ONE GOES HIKING ALWAYS WEAR RUNNING SHOES AND HAVE A JAR OF hONEY. THEN WHEN YOU PASS FELLOW HIKERS, SQUIRT THEM WITH hONEY. Ah wisdom, such a wonderful thing.

05 Excel CLO36