Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Must be the "dog days of summer" that has everyone in the doldrums?? Any suggestions on getting folks to participate? We've got many new members who I'm sure could bring different issues to the forum for discussion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Must be the "dog days of summer" that has everyone in the doldrums?? Any suggestions on getting folks to participate? We've got many new members who I'm sure could bring different issues to the forum for discussion.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I think its just that time of year when #1 everybody is busy enjoying life and #2 excel makes a good product with very limited problems to hash over, what do you think?
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #4

It has been quiet! Busy people! Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
O'k chief, just remember you requested participation. LOL
I have not responded because I thought I was the only greenie preparing for FTing and was busy trying to apply the EXCEL experts' advice that so many were willing to give. Didn't want to bore others with my trials, tribulations and ERRORS---translated, making dumb mistakes.

Here goes---I have found the EXCEL forum and the IFV2 forum invalalble complete with the good folks I have been meeting. Since June 21, here is a summary of what I have learned and accomplished:

The Tow Veh and 5th weight factors must be well matched---now have a 2008 Ford f450, 4x4 dually in front of a 2002 36c Excel Limited. But I also learned (a $500.00 lesson) that the new 2008 trucks from Ford and GMC do not have compatible TBC's to operate Electric over Hydraulic Brakes for my Excel. Seems that the auto makers forgot to notify other manufactors--such as Dexter and Service Shops about the change.

Learned what happens when a steel line breaks on my excel's hydraulic system.
Lucky I was on a flat freeway.

Learned that only 21 excels were equipped with the air ride suspension and quicly omitted due to tire damage problems. If any one has one, contact me and I will give you an up-to-date summary.

Was right behind you chief---2 weeks---at Smith Center. What an Experience.

These folks are fabulous. Truly, I can attest that Jack and Ted were more concerned about my safety as an EXCEL owner and even completed service that was not under warranty, at their expense. Went throught the factory and was introduced to the prototype, 40+ Toy Hauler being built---what a impressivwe Unit. Gypsy wants one to use as a quilting and sewing room to comolement our new lifestyle adventure.$$$$$$

Oh yea, learned about the value of a 4x4 when you go into some CG right after a soaking rain.

Now headed to Mayo clinic in rochester for the rest of August---nothing life threatening, just routine for all of us who have reached those "golden years" Finally, submitted my letter of resignation and now attacking logistics for downsizing or like "making smoke", re-engineering my life. Kind Regards, Maverick and Gypsy

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Tow Veh and 5th weight factors must be well matched---now have a 2008 Ford f450, 4x4 dually in front of a 2002 36c Excel Limited. But I also learned (a $500.00 lesson) that the new 2008 trucks from Ford and GMC do not have compatible TBC's to operate Electric over Hydraulic Brakes for my Excel. Seems that the auto makers forgot to notify other manufactors--such as Dexter and Service Shops about the change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maverick,
I was surprised to hear this statement as I have talked with a couple of '08 450 owners in my travels and they had Dexter systems and they told me it was "a plug and play" situation. Could you elaborate on the subject? What failed and how did they remedy the problem? Just curious. Thanks! Tom

Haven't talked with anyone driving a new '08 GMC. Actually didn't know they were burning fuel yet. I think I'm loosing touch with the auto industry since I retired!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Maverick,
I've been acting like the three monkeys: no see, no hear, and no speak as regards the new Excel 40+ foot toy hauler. Now that someone else has seen the prototype, I KNOW I wasn't seeing things!
This is going to be a top-notch 5th wheel that the toy hauler crowd will be drooling over. I was surprised that Excel had decided to enter this market, especially with one of this length.
Now, if only I could convince the DW to let me have one! As they say, "It'll be a cold day in hades" before that happens.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Hey guys, the wife and I got tour of the new Toy Hauler back in June just after the photo shoot for the catalog. What a RIG! It'll take a real TV to pull it but I bet every Doctor, Lawyer and Indian Chief in the country will have one parked in their yard next year!
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Sorry, I fatfingured the post, we saw the completed Toy Hauler in July!!
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Tom, Please forgive me for I am far from understanding the exact technolgy.In my situation, the Ford TBC would constantly read that the trailer was not connected---diagnosed as a sensor failure to recognize the electric component that drives or actuates the Excel hydraulic cylindet. Dexter has an adapter that works up to 2007 ( only 70-90 dollars) but was caughjt off guard with the change in the 2008 Ford TBC electrical activator. The Ford Service Manager where I purchased the f450 found an after market system as it was explained to me---many steps higher in technology from the same maker of a Cobra TBC. Maybe the Ford TBC does work on electric activated brakes, but it definitely will not activate the electrical system to engage the hydraulic cylinder.

I heard about the GMC from DEXTER and After Market systems when I was exploring my options to successfully hook up the EXCEL 36CLO L:imited brake system designated by DEXTER as an "Electric-over Hydraulic System. Hope I made some sense, this is definitely not my area of expertise.

As far as function goes, the brake system coordinates braking by activating the trailer brakes slightly before the TV which has resulted in smooth stops.

Maverick

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #11

Why doesn't Dexter just retrofit the rigs. It is up to their R&D to figure out what goes with what. Phil
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

maverik, it sure is NICE to read of your travels and tribulations on the road here on iRV2...

You can certainly come along here ANYTIME and post your questions,answers or just comments....That's what we're ALL about!!

As a former fiver owner and even one that owns a motorhome, I've been "pulled" lately in the heart strings, when I see some of these new fifth wheel rigs and their HAULERS...WOW!!

Fulltiming since January, I am AMAZED at the difference in living space between my 45 foot MH and even the 37 footer fivers,but that's a discussion for another day.....Stay tuned!

Thank you ALL for your continued support of iRV2 and remember.....we ALL "fat finger" at one time or another.

Bob
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Can't wait to see that 40ft toy hauler. May be our next fiver! Haven't been on because I'm at my son's lake place trying to get a place to park the Excel here. Spent yesterday and today waiting on the trencher. I found out how much 100 feet of 6/3 copper Romex and 15 joints of sch 40 3" sewer PVC costs...it ain't cheap!

Had to come in a cool off, this after noon it will reach 102 here.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #14

Has anyone got a link or some pics of this new toyhauler. I looked at Excel's website and did not find it. Sort of exciting!
Phil