Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excel Height vs Bridge Clearance

Woodhicker suggested that this be a seperate thread & I agree so here it is.

We mainly use a Garmin for our trip planning. I never gave low clearances a thought until we joined the HDT side. When I bought a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, I was very surprised to see the clearance heights listed in the various states that we traveled thus far. For instance CO has a 11'7" low spot, TX has a 10' and New Mexico has a 12'7". I will definitely be using this list to check out our route planning from here on out. I'd sure hate to shave a few inches off the top of the rig.

Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

I read a few years back on another forum. A guy got detoured off the main highway. It was a low contruction bridge. Opened up his 5ver like a tuna can. Since then I made a label and attached it to the dash of the truck. It says 11FT 11IN. I've had a few other RVers ride with me while exploring. They all like the idea. I did the same thing with one of my work trucks.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
I read a few years back on another forum. A guy got detoured off the main highway. It was a low contruction bridge. Opened up his 5ver like a tuna can. Since then I made a label and attached it to the dash of the truck. It says 11FT 11IN. I've had a few other RVers ride with me while exploring. They all like the idea. I did the same thing with one of my work trucks.
I think it's a great idea to keep the reminder handy. The only thing I would add is to make sure to check the route so that you don't have to do any backing up. I had one trucker tell me he had to back up almost 1/2 mile before he could find a place to turn around. UGH!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I think the biggest thing is not to trust the route of your Garmin. My fear of causing damage to my trailer is not on the main roads but side streets. When ever I must use a four lane street with tree branches overhanging I always use the inside lane to put my self farther away from the trees main branches. I really clench my teeth in the residential neighbor hoods wondering when the last time a tall vehicle traveled that street and keep my eyes looking up for low hanging wires .Like Corsair stated put up a reminder in your truck some where. It is very easy for me to be tooling around and jamming on tunes and forget the height of what I am towing.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I have to share this photo. I came across this bridge while I was up at the Monaco Service Center in Oregon. Needless to say- this is not one of the roads I did my RV Driving lessons on...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #6

Woodhicker,

I hate driving thru thru the neighborhood. The low trees drive me nuts. Then three years ago neighbor had party when we arrived home after a month vacation. NO PARKING IN FRONT OF Our OWN HOUSE. had to park 2 blocks away and wait until her party was over 5 hours later.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
There are many instances of underpasses where the road has been repaved, lowering the clearance, but the signs haven't been changed. If we ever come across a clearance that says 12', I think we'll turn around and go back!
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Know your length from pin to trailer. Been on a few rural roads, such as the Coast Highway 101 in OR and CA where they advise you to avoid exits if you run longer than 35' pin to axle. No worries at that length, but I like to know when approaching a sign, rather than trying to figure it out.

Everything you didn't want to know about low bridges.
11foot8 videos
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I've actually only had to back out once but that was because I was overweight for a bridge. I was headed for an RV Park south of Wilmore, KY and one of the approaches was across a lake where the bridge had a weight restriction of only 5,000 lbs. Miss Jo had to get out and stop traffic so I could back into a side road and turn around.

99, does that Trucker's Atlas have bridge weight restrictions in it also???
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinSmoke View Post
I've actually only had to back out once but that was because I was overweight for a bridge. I was headed for an RV Park south of Wilmore, KY and one of the approaches was across a lake where the bridge had a weight restriction of only 5,000 lbs. Miss Jo had to get out and stop traffic so I could back into a side road and turn around.

99, does that Trucker's Atlas have bridge weight restrictions in it also???
Smoke,

There are three sections under each state. They are 1)Low Clearance Locations, 2)Permanent Weigh Stations, 3)Restricted Routes to Motor Carriers.

Routes are listed as Resstricted due to state or local laws banning truck travel, LOW WEIGHT BRIDGES, TUNNEL LIMITATIONS, or are unsafe for year-round tavel due to extreme weather conditions. If the route is listed, they do not repeat the low clearance structures.

I plan to use it to check our planned travel route, as a heads up to possible problems.