Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
This is kinda weird subject, but felt a need to discuss. Recently I have run into a few folks that we met in our travels with an Excel trailer that don't seem to know what they have! It seems to me, a low production type of trailer like ours, that most folks would know what they were all about. Kinda like a speciality car, you expect that the person owning it knows what they have.

A guy was in a trailer just like ours was parked next to us in a park in Portland, OR for a month. When we got there, I ran over and introduced myself, etc. All excited, I started a discussion about his unit and he don't have a clue regarding his Excel! He claims he went to a RV lot and the salesman said it was good so he bought it! I was taken back as I thought most folks KNEW they had an Excel and knew a good bit about the product and company. To my surprise, this type of situation has happened a few times. I guess I'm just somewhat a techie (anal) and need to know about the product, and company background before making a purchase. Anything else, to me, seems strange.

Has anyone ran into similiar situations or is it just me?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This is kinda weird subject, but felt a need to discuss. Recently I have run into a few folks that we met in our travels with an Excel trailer that don't seem to know what they have! It seems to me, a low production type of trailer like ours, that most folks would know what they were all about. Kinda like a speciality car, you expect that the person owning it knows what they have.

A guy was in a trailer just like ours was parked next to us in a park in Portland, OR for a month. When we got there, I ran over and introduced myself, etc. All excited, I started a discussion about his unit and he don't have a clue regarding his Excel! He claims he went to a RV lot and the salesman said it was good so he bought it! I was taken back as I thought most folks KNEW they had an Excel and knew a good bit about the product and company. To my surprise, this type of situation has happened a few times. I guess I'm just somewhat a techie (anal) and need to know about the product, and company background before making a purchase. Anything else, to me, seems strange.

Has anyone ran into similiar situations or is it just me?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Folks have different levels of interest in different things. I own handguns, shotguns and a rifle but I'm not "into" guns and do not spend hours a day pouring over gun websites like I do fifthwheel/traveling websites. Same goes for my fourwheelers and my tractor or my log splitter.

My personality is not "techie", I am generally a "generalist". In my book, usually 80% is close enough...I don't like minute details unless they save me time or more easily get me to my goal.

Don't know where you were going with this but that's my $.02 worth.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Virgil,

What you say makes perfect sense, and I think your right. Thanks for sharing.

I guess I'm a person that gets into just about everything I do with great passion. Don't know why, it's just my personality. I'm interested in so many things.

I don't care that much for most sports (except billiards and auto racing). Guess what? I suck at all of the ones I don't care for! Tom
Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
Inquiring minds need to know all the details on their favorite subject! I'm like Virgil, while I find guns interesting and have a few, they are not what I get excited about. That's RV'ing and trucks, and all aspects of both. I'm very proud of my Excel! As you may have noticed, I don't mind singing it's praises on this and other forums. Are there m-o-r-e expensive 5th wheels, you betcha! Are they any better built, dollar for dollar, (IMO) no!

Different strokes for different folks!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Being a very particular person and somewhat anal also about guns, trucks and RVs I have to agree with John, simply put, the Excel is the best value in a 5th wheel RV on the market. (IMO) The Limited's fiberglass roof is the best in the business and also IMO has no competition. There are other fiberglass roofs, but try walking on one of them. The word is flimsy. Am I bias, you bet.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys!
We are in Elkart, IN (RV Capitol) right now and we took a few plant tours. Yes, I've seen a few things in rigs I wished we had in our Excel, but mostly I'm glad we have many of the features and great construction that are in our Excel. The price/value can't be beat!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I traded in my 10 year old Sunnybrook for an Excel. Sunnybrook has had an excellent reputation for quality and value. However, the Excel is in an entirely different league. The Sunnybrook is a vacation camper; the Excel is a rolling house.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Folks, I believe the consensus of opinion is that we know something that the owner's of SOBs don't. Careful we don't divulge all of our "Excel" secrets to outsiders.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #10

I never knew Excel was still in business until I came here. The only other Excel trailer I have seen is in a field here in Salt Lake. I tried to buy it but the owner said they used it for a sheepherder's camp.

I don't even know if they sell them here where I live. I am going to look, I would really like to see new one.
rubiranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
"rubiranch", how is your 1969 Excel restoration coming?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I sent Rubi an PM and offered to send him some very emailable pix of our rig inside and out. Just to give him an idea of how they've changed over the years.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #13

rockintom, I'll send you my email.

ChiefJohn, I havn't doen much restoration but rather more upgrading. The trailer was in exceptional shape when we bought it. We did re-carpet it, put in new blinds and curtains.

We boondock so we have added more battery power and water capacity.

Here is a link to a few pictures. 69 Excel
rubiranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Rubi, I must have misunderstood your plans for the 1969 Excel. I'm aware of those pictures and your Excel is in remarkable condition to be almost 40 years old.