Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Excel Weights

I'm looking to upgrade into an Excel and have a 2011 F350 DRW. Was wondering what your thoughts on if this truck could pull an Excel Limited 36GKM? Have not decided for sure on this model but think it would be the heaviest I would like. Any one with loaded travel weights? Loaded and ready the truck weighs 9,060. I think I would be OK but would like your thoughts. Thanks . . . .
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswharton View Post
I'm looking to upgrade into an Excel and have a 2011 F350 DRW. Was wondering what your thoughts on if this truck could pull an Excel Limited 36GKM? Have not decided for sure on this model but think it would be the heaviest I would like. Any one with loaded travel weights? Loaded and ready the truck weighs 9,060. I think I would be OK but would like your thoughts. Thanks . . . .
I have a 2010 36GKM I pull with a F350 and my trailer weigh is 17500. We are full time so all our stuff is with use. That is with about 1 fourth fresh water tank and gray and black tanks dumped.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRET View Post
I have a 2010 36GKM I pull with a F350 and my trailer weigh is 17500. We are full time so all our stuff is with use. That is with about 1 fourth fresh water tank and gray and black tanks dumped.
ARRET, thanks. It does appear that the weights will be fine. Think we will head to Kansas early next year. Never seen an Excel up close and personal but I do believe it would be a fine home for us. Going to make contact with the closet dealer over Christmas about 2 hours or so. Appreciate you response!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
PJL

Heading to Kansas would likely prove very beneficial. That trip put my wife and I over the edge when comparing Excel to other units. Helped us get past some of the glitz and glamour items of similarly priced manufacturers, as it re-inforced our belief that Peterson Industries would be behind you well after the sale if you needed them. In our case, we couldn't simply rely on a local dealer, cause we were going full time and no idea where we might end up. If you can make the trip happen, by all means do.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

We tow a Winslow 31IKE with a 2011 Dodge 3500 SRW added Timbrens aft and a S&B Cold Air Intake. Seems like an excellent combination. We're thinking about moving up to a 34IKE. I would do that without a second thought. I know, that's not exactly what you were asking but maybe a good comparison for you. I wouldn't have anything other than an Excel!
Jeff
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
We tow a 36 RKM with a new F350 dually diesel. They have a 22500 fifth wheel tow rating. I'm not sure what the 2011 was, but I expect it was similar.

As to the comments about "after sale" service, I don't think you can go wrong. I've mentioned this a few times on other forums, but this was the thing that eventually caused us to go with our 2nd Excel. We had decided to trade, narrowed our short list down to 3 manufactures that we felt were built for FT use, and eventually, the after sale service we received on our 1st rig caused us to stick with Excel. This isn't even to say the other two manufactures wouldn't have provided good service, but we knew what PI did.

In my opinion, FTing does present a different set of issues as it relates to service. In our case, we have never been back to either of the selling dealers where our Excels were purchased. Not because they are bad dealers, just because they are not where we are. The central US location of the factory makes it very easy for us to schedule service there when going East or West, North or South. And even though PI has a very limited dealer network, we have found them very easy to work with on the occasion where something was needed during warranty, that would not wait until a scheduled stop at the factory.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel, weight