Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Redcow...Please log out and then log back in!

MM,
I have been gone from the computer for awhile. Please explain what this means?

Red
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Okay... Guys, I have an idea...What if there was a different level of membership where you paid a minimal yearly dues - but that got you and "ad-free" page when you were logged in?( And maybe even a special thing or two besides no ads?) What do you think?

We are paying with our time, the ads take extra time to down load. I belong to two other V-Bulletin Forums and all the ads are at the top. They have a vendor's list and when I need something I pull up the vendors and order what I want. With these ads being thrown at me, I will never click on any of the vendors or order anything from them. Sorry but that is how frustrated I feel about the ads and vendors on IRV2 .
And I know it is not the poor vender’s fault for trying to sell me something, but I feel it is the management of IRV2’s fault for flooding the web pages the way they are.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Hi, this is TXiceman under a name I use just to see what the general membership sees when posting, since Moderators and Administrators see a bit different screen than you do.

I have logged in and the only ads I see are the 3 in a banner between the 1st and 2nd post and the ones on the right hand side. I went into User CP, Edit options and scrolled to the bottom and said NO to the right hand ads. I went back to the home screen and logged out (right end of the tool bar) and logged in again. It did reload based on the cached memory. Next I pressed F5 to force a fresh down load of the page to cache. The right hand ads were gone, and the 3 in the banner after the 1st and 2nd on each page were still there

I do not see how this is excessive advertising. What are you seeing that is different from whay I see? Most other sites I vist have the same or more advertising. Try to use the Yahoo sites if you want ads.

The procedure to reduce ads is posted HERE in Community Announcements. Everyone needs to visit Community Announcements every once in a while to keep abreast of any thing going on here such as the ability to reduce ads.

Oh, I'll be 62 in July and I manage to keep abreast of computers so that I can use them at work and at home. You can always get the 11 year old kid next door or grand kids to show you how to use some of the features of a site.

You can also post a note about any questions or problem on the site to IRV2 Tech Help and Support or the Contact Us link at the right end of the upper tool bar. We all keep an eye on the sites and if we don't know the answer, we will go to the Techie-guy.

Now I will suddenly change from The Streak and back into the TXiceman.

Ken
Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
I have a Google bar with tons of ads right above Welcome to IRV2, and why can’t the ads between the first and second post be on the top or bottom? It would be nice to be able to read the thread completely without ads.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drifter, please post the suggestion in the Tech support section and we will address it.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcow View Post
MM,
I have been gone from the computer for awhile. Please explain what this means?

Red

Red,

Log Out and Log in means to go to the second or lower (darker color) tool bar and on the far right end, click on the button that says Log Out. As soon as that is done, the same location will come back with Log In in the last spot. The computer stores the pages in a memory section referred to as the cache (pronounced cash) so that it will load pages faster from memory than reload every time that page is used. More than likely, the page will reload again from the cache so to force a fresh page reload, press the F5 key (located on the very top row of keys on the keyboard).

Eventually a page will become dated and refresh the cache on it's own.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Ken, thanks for the info on how to get rid of the ads on the right side. Works for me.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have been a member of iRV2 since mid-2000 and have no gripes about the way the site has progressed. A lot of sites drop to a crawling speed if you do not have DSL as a minimum to log on to the INTERNET. Time marches on and in order to keep up with time, changes have to be made...otherwise, we would still be living in caves, wearing animal skins for clothes and drawing figures in the dirt.
Ken
IRV2. Means people who travel in their RVs.

When they travel in their RVs, they don't have ready access to DSL or cable modem service. They use aircards or satellite service or even dialup. As a fulltimer, this describes me 365.

You pretty much lost me as a regular user when you dropped automated email updates to a forum. But then I brought this up early on and don't want to belabor a point that management shows no interest in addressing. So now I look at a few posts once each week. Then I go back into my cave.

Oh. I'm 60 years old and administered computer systems for ten years. I learned to design systems that served the users. If they didn't, I'd try to improve them.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Drifter, please post the suggestion in the Tech support section and we will address it.

ken
Ken, I have been following a request by MonacoMama

[quote=MonacoMama;478476]OK..this may have a few hiccups here for a bit, guys... but I am sure it will be ok after a couple of weeks
Please "complain" to me if you have ummm ... "female dogs" !

MM

So that is why I have left my complaint in here. But I thank you for you’re 2cw. Drifter
Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #38

Hello MM:

Well, I can't even find the "Forum Tools" drop down window. So the rest of your message is moot.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I drive a MAC.

Thanks,
Ken C.

Quote:
Go to the top of the "Excel Forum to the "Forum Tools" drop down window. You will find a choice that reads "Subscribe to this Forum". Choose that option which will take you to another drop down window. Click on that drop down and choose either "Daily Updates by Email" or "Instant Notification by Email" . The final step would be to "Add Subscription". That should solve the problem. I hope this helps!
MM
Ken & Patti C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #39
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You pretty much lost me as a regular user when you dropped automated email updates to a forum. But then I brought this up early on and don't want to belabor a point that management shows no interest in addressing.
We have addressed this several times and vBulletin software doesn't offer this option, and a suitable workaround just doesn't seem to be possible at this time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #40
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well, I can't even find the "Forum Tools" drop down window. So the rest of your message is moot.
It's at the top of each forum right above the list of all the threads in the forum.

Threads in Forum : Excel Owner's Forum Forum Tools Search this Forum

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #41

Personally I have no problem with this format. The ads add to my world and have not interfered with reading or my posts. IMHO In a free enterprise system this is good for us, good for them and keeps us connected. Is the forum going downhill? I dunno but I do enjoy it a great deal and hope that is not the case. In many ways I am thankful it is here due to the info and relationships I have formed on it.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Thumbs up Woo-Hoo!! Good News for the Future!!

Hey Guys...
Andy & I were conversing earlier today and he let me know that he has plans to develop a light weight skin for our members who are on slower connections! It will be used across the Social Knowledge communities...but it will also take a bit of time to get up & running.

Please be patient with me (and the rest of the Moderation team) while this is being developed and tested.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote