Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Excelling Route 66

I just wondered how many Excel folks have traveled Route 66, I have traveled the whole distance round trip twice from Chicago to Santa Monica. I’m not from a state that it went through originally and I know there is lots of history on him so I don’t want to offend any of the folks that Route 66 passes through, but I do know Route 66 does leave some impressions to some folks. I enjoyed the scenery of all the different states, when I drove it I was getting from point A to point B in a hurry so I wasn’t impressed with all the concrete. I found Route 66 to be very boring and couldn’t see much character with all the souvenir shops every where you stop. It would be nice to hear other Excel folks experiences and theory’s on Route 66! One way I survive to hard concrete drive is listen to !
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have been on parts of it probably like anyone that has traveled in the West but never from start to finish. I really would like to just to see some of the sites from a great time in our nation.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto Larry -- we've got a portion running through this area and we've traveled other sections. I've found most of the Route 66 we've seen to be cluttered and boring. However, I'm sure there are portions of the route that remain undeveloped and offer something for the Rv'er.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Route 66, like many of the former great 2 lane highways across the United States died when the Interstate Highway system came about during the 1950's. Most all of the small towns have died to where they are not even a wide spot in the road. While the Interstate is great for getting somewhere fast, the traveler never pulls off the Interstate to see what real America is about.

Hindsite is usually 20/20. To bad some cannot see into the future and keep things the way they are. Then we could enjoy life and have lots of fun.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Hindsite is usually 20/20. To bad some cannot see into the future and keep things the way they are. Then we could enjoy life and have lots of fun.
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts." John Wooden, UCLA Basketball Coach (1948-1975)
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts." John Wooden, UCLA Basketball Coach (1948-1975)
Amen and Amen, Simple and profound! rockin'ThinksHe'sSKIA
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We drove sections of Rt 66 in Arizona last month. One afternoon we pulled over for a snack about 20 miles up the road (north) from Topock AZ. While we were parked an interesting oldster (like me) came over and asked if we planned to pull the trailer "up there". He explained that there was a sign about 1/4 mile further on prohibitting trucks over 40' and offered to drive us up through Oatman to see what we were getting into - all the while apologizing that he didn't want to try to tell us what to do or to scare us off.

To get to the point of the story, that gentleman saved me from what would have turned out to be probably the worst drive of my life. Hairpin turns on a highway built for Model A's, not F350's with fivers in tow. We drove the road later with the truck only. There were places where it's so narrow that my left outside rear tire covered the center line while the right outside rear spanned the edge of the asphalt. Beautiful drive with TV only. But not for me with the Excel in tow.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has towed their Excel on Rt 66 east out of Oatman. For sure that would be one fearless driver (if he/she knew what they were getting into!).
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #8

To travel route 66 in my wife's 60 Corvette has been on our bucket list for a few years. We would park the MH at different locations and explore in the car. Are you suggesting that we would be in for a disappointment? We have travelled from Flagstaff through Kingman, but that's all.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodturn View Post
To travel route 66 in my wife's 60 Corvette has been on our bucket list for a few years. We would park the MH at different locations and explore in the car. Are you suggesting that we would be in for a disappointment? We have travelled from Flagstaff through Kingman, but that's all.
Go for it! There'll be some tedium, of course. But overall I'll bet it'd be a real adventure to remember.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post

I have to agree! I wonder if all the Route 66 changes have been positive to the communities involved, I know they are trying to keep the history going on the Historic Route. I did get to do the complete “Avenue of the Saints” and that is a nice improvement for the Midwest!
Money Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Bags View Post
I have to agree! I wonder if all the Route 66 changes have been positive to the communities involved, I know they are trying to keep the history going on the Historic Route. I did get to do the complete “Avenue of the Saints” and that is a nice improvement for the Midwest!
Money Bags, I doubt the "changes have all been positive" and we have to accept the fact that there are some "Route 66" wannabes out there that will hype their 'status'. "Avenue of the Saints", isn't that where SKIA is from?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #12

Traveled it when it was the original road with my Dad and Family. 5 cent cokes and 25 Cent gas. Cool motels and long lines of cars. Circa 1954. I am sure many of us have done this as kids.

Have done and seen parts of it. Went to Petrified Forest and saw still standing telephone poles, or were they telegraph poles but no road. We have old 66 from Alb to Moriarty NM in the immediate area. Still are relics from that time. Are they making money off it? You betcha.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Although I don't really enjoy traveling on the interstate when towing, I am not sure I would waste my time going down an old road that has lost its way.

I don't particularly like to travel the freeway because I have slowed my towing down to 60 mph. I would much prefer going down a two lane through some small towns that have flavor and are interesting instead of Route 66 that is in a bygone era. I mean it was exciting during the day before the interstate system and there are some parts that would be cool to travel through but I don't think I would go start to finish. I mean it is history but so was Red Ball Jets and you don't hear of them anymore.

Nostalgia is nice but living in the past and doing the things that you used to do 20 to 30 years ago isn't productive. Same with the old road, people out there that still have shops can hang on but it ain't never going to get any better. It really is sad when those shops don't get it. An old friend of mine once told me when your horse is dead, get off.

Going through those places will bring a smile to you but when you leave you are on to new and exciting things.

Just like a vacation, planning for the trip will probably be more exciting that the trip.

I don't know if anyone has seen the documentary on the "Thrilla in Manila", but in it Joe Frazier comes off as bitter and a has been, trying to live in the past. Almost like that was his 15 minutes of fame, when it wasn't, but that is what people remember him for, getting beat by Ali. The old road is the same way, people have fond memories of it but if they were to travel it today it would leave them sad.

Enough of my rambling.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
"Mama" will be proud of her brood for behaving so well today -- we're all just gushing with politeness and correctness!

Tags
excel route66