Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I has one of those 'Rockin' moments this morning during my daily walk-around of the Excel. The white window trim on my coach has yellowed with age and I've tried numerous cleaners with no success. I tried to remove the vinyl insert and was surprised that it was very easy to remove/replace.

Has anyone found a source for replacement trim? Probably comes in a roll that you cut to fit for each window.
John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I has one of those 'Rockin' moments this morning during my daily walk-around of the Excel. The white window trim on my coach has yellowed with age and I've tried numerous cleaners with no success. I tried to remove the vinyl insert and was surprised that it was very easy to remove/replace.

Has anyone found a source for replacement trim? Probably comes in a roll that you cut to fit for each window.
John
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

I recently discovered the same. I read somewhere that it is available from the window manufacturer. I have been going to call them but just haven't got to it yet.
Good luck.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I've heard you can use "Awesome" and use some elbow grease and they will lighten. I've tried it on the frame around door glass and it does work but takes a lot of time.

I also think I've seen the strips in CW, but not positive. Later, the fish is callin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #5

While I am not familiar with the trim on Excel windows, if it is anything like what is around most 5th wheel entrance doors, Camping World sells it by the roll...

Escapees #98005
Gypsybill and Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #6

Chief,

I also have some of the same problems with the insert you mentioned. Also have one section on the large rear window where one of the panes insert has shurnk a bit and not fitting at one of the mitered corners. The prior has all types of stuff in there I would like to remove.

When to Hehr's web site and looked around, got there contact list and called their Indiana Window Plant. Got no answer, maybe after hours. Called the Kansas plant and the person who answered the phone sounded more 'residental' than a company as they didn't ID the company or initally have much idea what I was talking about. Eventually we connected and she called the item 'Glazing Bead'. If it is the same product, it's part no. is 009344-41 (white) and sells for .66 a foot. Asked about ordering and a service dept. Was told they didn't have one and it could be ordered from her and by the foot.

Decided I wasn't giving my 'card' number to Customer No Service over the phone. Will e-mail a picture of the trim to one of their other Plants and see what happens.

Will let you know what I find out.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Chris -- you're 'okay' for a Navy boy! I've got to be careful where I say that, as my oldest son might not appreciate my humor He's in Beijing and probably is not even aware of this forum!

I'm sure we're not the only "'Rockin' impersonators" out there that are nit-picky about their 5th wheels. Get her all shined up and ready to take her out and she has ring around the collar (door/windows) that detracts from the coach.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Although I have not tried it, one of the guys at the Service Center told me that toluene will remove the yellowing of the vinyl.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Chief,

Here's what I found out and know. Contacted Hehr and they sent my e-mail to one of their wholesellers who then contacted me.

Below are two pictures of my unit and the trim I asked about as these are the ones I have trouble keeping clean or in one case needs to be replaced. The picture will show the Hehr part number and cost and hopefully read it correctly.

Body of the e-mails that Doug sent for information/contact purposes. Haven't tried cleaning my trim lately. Last time I did was after purchase because of dirt, mold and mildew (black stuff). Scrubbed and used heavy bleach on a rag to help remove the rest, washed and rinsed well afterwards. Did a good job and getting close to needing something again. Thought I had chose a smaller Pic size!

Glazing rubber for stationary glass: Part #: G-White____$4.15 foot

Top Glazing rubber: Part #: 009-482___$4.19 foot

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

E-mail from Doug Parsons in reference to the window trim:

We are the wholesale distributor for Hehr windows and have been given your email request.

The glazing rubber for around your stationary glass is part #G-white and is sold for $4.15 per foot.
The top glazing rubber is part # 009-482-white and is sold for $4.19 per foot.
The 009-482-white is currently special order and would take about 2 -3 weeks to get.

I'll be happy to help you if you want to order, please call me.

Thanks,
Doug Parsons
ParKin Accessories
2920 Gateway Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514
1-800-637-8938
www.parkin-acc.com

This is a response to a question to Doug on cleaning the trim:

The best thing I've found to clean the white rubber is a powdered cleanser with a sponge that has a scotch-brite pad and water.
It's a cleanser that comes in a can and is a powder that you shake out on to your wet sponge then scrub. (Bonn-Amy is what I use. Not sure of spelling)
It usually works well on mold & mildew but won't make the rubber white once it's turned yellow.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I will be ordering the top glazing next week. A whole 2 ft. Just another dirty picture of my unit.

Hope something helped.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Chris! I'll get my order into Doug next week --- I'm guessing approximately 20 ft.

As an aside, I discovered today that Goop hand cleaner is an excellent black streak, tar, grease, etc. remover for the Gelcoat. Also removes the dirt that builds-up on the caulking around the doors/windows. I had a rag that was wet with Goop and decided to try it on several areas-- rinsed with water when finished. Left no residue and did not dull the Gelcoat.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Update on the vinyl window trim (glazing rubber).

First, thanks to Chris for his research. The glazing rubber on my 2005 is different than that posted by Chris in his pictures.

This trim lays flat in the channel of my Hehr windows on the pane that does not move. There are several weep holes in the frame to allow any water to drain. I removed the glazing rubber by gently pulling it out--inside of the rubber is ribbed to fit snugly in the frame. be careful or you'll get WET -- the glazing has an open channel through the middle. All of mine were full of water--except one, and that's the one SC had out and caulked when they replaced.

Soaked in a bucket of soapy water, then used a Magic Eraser and Simple Green Non-Toxic BBQ Grill Cleaner. You'll also find that the ribbed portion of the inserts is very dirty as is the window frame it fits into. The inserts cleaned up real well -- used my air compressor to blow the water off (especially in the open interior channel hole) and coated with 303. Then I sealed the end of each glazing rubber with white silicone.

Not as technically descriptive as Chris' detailed explanations, but hopefully helpful.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chief

Now I have another item on my todo list.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Paul,
I wouldn't want you to get bored!

Please note, this is not a PI issue, its a vendor (Hehr) correctable problem. Dab of silicone in the end of each glazing rubber and water would not collect inside.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

I agree that this is not a PI issue. I took a couple of the inserts out this afternoon and the center tracks on mine is completely dry. Dirty but dry. Are you sure your drainage holes are clear?

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE