Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
EMD_Driver,
RVSales is not on IRV2, but here is a note from them that may be helpful:

Forwarded From Valerie Chowning, Owner of RV Sales and former #1 Excel Dealer:
Congratulations on your new 37SDF Excel. I can tell from the VIN number stamped on your kingpin (0074) that this was literally the last NEW Excel that was ever sold from RV Sales, and didn't return to NM for service work after the initial purchase. Based on the stamps, it looks like that is the kingpin that came from the Peterson Industries factory. It does look as though the kingpin was moved at some point because of the indents from the washers above those bolts. I don't have any service records showing that it was moved here at RV Sales for the customer that you purchased this RV from. With the kingpin in this current location, this RV is probably riding too "nose high."

Will you please contact me at val@rvsalesnm.com or 505-832-2400? I would like to see photos from inside of that kingpin. There should be 2 more holes above the holes that are currently bolted in. If so, you could raise it to the proper position and add two more bolts. Demco no longer makes these glide ride kingpins, so if you need to change it entirely, you will have to look into a different brand of kingpin. I would like to see if we can help you figure out how to make this one work if possible. Also, just in case you aren't familiar, these Glide Rides could have bushings that would fail, I am linking to another thread for information about that failure, so that you will have as much information as possible about this kingpin. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/dem...ide-72414.html

Congratulations again and please be in touch and I am happy to try to help you ensure that you have the proper setup for your kingpin moving forward.

Thanks,
Valerie Chowning
val@rvsalesnm.com
505-832-2400
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2022, 06:20 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
It sounds like this is you may have already been resolved however here is a message from RV Sales about that particular pin box on that particular EXCEL. I hope this helps:

Congratulations on your new 37SDF Excel. I can tell from the VIN number stamped on your kingpin (0074) that this was literally the last NEW Excel that was ever sold from RV Sales, and didn't return to NM for service work after the initial purchase. Based on the stamps, it looks like that is the kingpin that came from the Peterson Industries factory. It does look as though the kingpin was moved at some point because of the indents from the washers above those bolts. I don't have any service records showing that it was moved here at RV Sales for the customer that you purchased this RV from. With the kingpin in this current location, this RV is probably riding too "nose high."

Will you please contact me at val@rvsalesnm.com or 505-832-2400? I would like to see photos from inside of that kingpin. There should be 2 more holes above the holes that are currently bolted in. If so, you could raise it to the proper position and add two more bolts. Demco no longer makes these glide ride kingpins, so if you need to change it entirely, you will have to look into a different brand of kingpin. I would like to see if we can help you figure out how to make this one work if possible. Also, just in case you aren't familiar, these Glide Rides could have bushings that would fail, I am linking to another thread for information about that failure, so that you will have as much information as possible about this kingpin. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/demco-glide-ride-72414.html

Congratulations again and please be in touch and I am happy to try to help you ensure that you have the proper setup for your kingpin moving forward.

Thanks,
Valerie Chowning
val@rvsalesnm.com
505-832-2400
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thank you for reaching out to her Don!

I have emailed her and anxiously await her response.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
EMD_Driver,
RVSales is not on IRV2, but here is a note from them that may be helpful:

Will you please contact me at val@rvsalesnm.com or 505-832-2400? I would like to see photos from inside of that kingpin. There should be 2 more holes above the holes that are currently bolted in. If so, you could raise it to the proper position and add two more bolts. Demco no longer makes these glide ride kingpins, so if you need to change it entirely, you will have to look into a different brand of kingpin. I would like to see if we can help you figure out how to make this one work if possible. Also, just in case you aren't familiar, these Glide Rides could have bushings that would fail, I am linking to another thread for information about that failure, so that you will have as much information as possible about this kingpin. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/dem...ide-72414.html

Thanks,
Valerie Chowning
val@rvsalesnm.com
505-832-2400
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
EMD, what was the final outcome on your pin box?
Old 10-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH3Guy View Post
EMD, what was the final outcome on your pin box?
Final result and photos posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/exce...0729067295260/

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Russell
Old 11-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Kevin from Demco confirmed my pin box model number as being 8250015.

Curtis also confirmed that I have the factory pin box.

"The pinbox supplied to Peterson Industries, the manufacturer of the Excel, was the 8250015. The mounting should be the same as the Fabex 520. The horizontal hole spacing should be 9.5” on center, with one bolt between them at 4.75”, and vertically 2.5” lower. The space between the two brackets on the trailer should be 12.5”."

The only Demco fitment chart I could find, doesn't list my model number, but shows that they did go up to 21,000lbs.

I'll know more, as soon as I can get the bolts out and try to adjust the pin box position. Hopefully soon..
Hi Gary,
I have the same pinbox, 8250015, that you have. The only difference between 8250014 and 8250015 is that the 8250015 is unpainted. PI wanted to paint the pinbox mount and pinbox the same color.

I verified the pinbox was unpainted this past summer. On the way to Creede, CO, between I-40 and Santa Fe, NM, there is bridge over a railroad track. The bridge is just before you get into Santa Fe. On the southside of the bridge in the northbound lane is a huge bump. The bridge look like it is about 3 - 4" higher that the roadway. It looks like they tried to build it up with an asphalt ramp. It didn't help. When we hit the "ramp" at 60 mph, it jarred everything. It hurt! We both let out a scream.

Shortly after we arrived in Creede, I notices my kingpin plate was not level. I looked at the pinbox mount and the pinbox had shifted about an 1/8 - 1/4" high in the front. I could tell the pinbox had shifted because the pinbox that was previously under the trailer pinbox mount was unpainted.

One note, my pinbox has six bolts with the center bolt slightly lower then the two outer bolts. Interesting, the different bolt patterns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinbox2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	380487
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote