Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Question Full Timing Insurance

To all Full-Timers out there.
Who is best company or companies for full timing insurance? House in Missouri closes in two weeks so must change carriers. We just established an Escapees address in Livingston so guess that will be our new "Domicile."
Got a quote from Escapees and did Not like the price. It is like insurance companies do not like us Full-timers!" Especially me at 70 years young!
Fmcnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

When we purchased our current MH the insurance agent at Lazy Days sowed us quotes from Progresssive, our previous insurer, National Interstate, and some one else I don't remember. National Interstate had the best rate for our FT use. Have not had a claim so I can't say anything about service.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check with Blue Sky. We're not FT but they had the best rates/coverage of anyone.
taminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taminator View Post
Check with Blue Sky. We're not FT but they had the best rates/coverage of anyone.
We changed to Blue sky from Natl interstate a couple of years ago. It was a couple of hundred dollars difference. But it can vary a lot based on tons of individual variables. Nati interstate used to be our best deal. These are FTers coverages we have dealt with.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We use National General (GMAC) through Miller Insurance in Oregon. New rig, new car and new truck $500.K limits plus full-timers liability for around $2,000./year. We have gotten other quotes over the years and find this is by far the cheapest. See if you can get them to classify you as ultra-preferred and don't let them feed you the bs about your credit rating being and indicator of claims potential (A lot of folks our age pay cash for everything so their credit rating is not so good).
Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Unless things have changed lately, Fulltimer's coverage for folks who have a domicile in Texas pay more than some other states cause TX insurance have more stringent laws. That said, there are only like 4 or 5 insurance companies that provide the insurance for FT's. For us, I chose GMAC (now National) for all our vehicles except the 5th wheel, which is covered by Progressive. We get a discount with GMAC as a GM employee. On our car and truck the discount is substantial, but the price is the same as Progressive on the 5th wheel, so I just left it with Progressive.

If you find insurance that is very cheap......you probably don't have FT's coverage. We pay about $1,100. every six months. $1,000 ded. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #7

We just switched to Allied from National Interstate after a rate hike last year. A good independent agent can help with some of the legwork of getting quotes and reviewing coverages.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Rates are highly variable with many factors considered by the various insurance companies. When I read threads like this I'm always struck by those claiming much lower rates from companies that quoted us much higher rates. I don't doubt them in the least, but it demonstrates that you can not assume that you'll have the same results.

Your best bet is to get at least three quotes, you can glean at least three possibilities from the replies within this thread. You should decide what coverage you want, in what amounts and with what deductibles before you start to shop. If you give all companies the same parameters you'll be comparing apples to apples. Even then, double check. When we were shopping for the first time one quote came in at 1/2 of what the others had been. When I double checked it was because they don't offer the full replacement cost coverage, something they ignored when I specified it as one of my needs.

Every year our premiums go up a bit and every year I'll get competing quotes, but so far we're still with Progressive. The others have always come in two to several hundred dollars higher for the same coverage but our experience is clearly different than others and may be different than your results as well.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Thanks to all who have given me their imput regarding full timer insurance. Looks like our best bet and best rates are going to be Miller Ins of Lake Oswego, OR.
Fmcnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have Nat'l Interstate. Had it for 4 yrs, had one claim and they were very fast in getting it paid. Inexpensive too.

Tags
insurance