Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Furnace pops when first lighting

We are in MA at about 900 ft above sea level. Its been getting cold enough for the furnace to come on. I never noticed this before but when the furnace first lights there is a mild Pop. All works fine but this seems new and never happened at home at 5500 feet above sea level. Could this be caused by altitude change? is there a need or away to adjust air and or gas?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
We are in MA at about 900 ft above sea level. Its been getting cold enough for the furnace to come on. I never noticed this before but when the furnace first lights there is a mild Pop. All works fine but this seems new and never happened at home at 5500 feet above sea level. Could this be caused by altitude change? is there a need or away to adjust air and or gas?
Chief,

Which furnace do you have? I believe PI started with an Atwood in '10 and then switched to Suburban early on. Let us know which you have and we can go from there. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

It might need a cleaning. Popping is usually a build up of LP because there is not a proper air/fuel mixture. However a good "thunk" ignition is normal.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
all clean,,,its a Suburban
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

You removed the whole furnace, removed the burner and orifice, and cleaned it all?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
all clean,,,its a Suburban
There are several reasons for a pop on light up. I can tell you that some Suburban units built from '10 to '12 have an issue where the orientation of the orifice is not centered in the opening of the burner. Depending on many variables, the unit may work perfectly, then the flame dwindles down and sometime goes out, relights, pops and may even go into lock out (3 light attempts and your out). It is very hard to diagnose. Like I said very intermittent, but when acting up when standing next to the exhaust it sounds like it's running out of propane. On mine it may run a week without incident, then acts up. It makes it so that you don't feel comfortable leaving your rig for days in the cold winter time unattended even on a very low thermostat setting.

Our does it, I have all the info to fix it, but Suburban wants a gas certified tech to correct the situation, but I haven't been able to get to such a place just yet (my RV guy in Portland kept putting me off until we left). Maybe I will get it done when we hit our winter destination. I have all the technical stuff on it and a couple of pix. It is a fairly major job as you have to pull the gut pack of the furnace out and disassemble.

BTW, Ralph and Kevin @ RV Sales are aware of this condition and they have fixed several of units. It took a long time coming to get a resolution, but we are there now!

Chief, you may not have this condition...but wanted you to know about it. HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
gee thanks Tom! You make me feel so MUCH better now,,,ugh!, I pulled the cover and stood there to see if a massive fireball was blowing out when it lit. It lit, no pop ans no fireball! Oh well headed to warmer country in a few weeks. I will monitor closely.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I'm always full of good news aren't I? If you had the situation I mentioned.....I'd would be really surprised you hadn't run in to it already. Our has done it since new. rockin'
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #9

It's really not major to pull it out like that. I've had Atwood WHs with non centered orifices, but never a furnace. Good to know.

Tags
furnace