Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Furnace problem

Okay so about four months ago I had a mobile RV tech come out and adjust the furnace because it started making a funky noise. After he adjusted the squirrel cage and a few other things, the furnace no longer worked.

I've sat on this issue for a while but have an appt tomorrow to drop the furnace off at a local shop that does warranty work. I pulled the furnace out tonight and ran in to two problems.
1. Main a/c thermostat doesn't work with furnace unplugged.
2. Can't find a cutoff valve for the propane other than shutting off both bottles....leaving me no way to use the stovetop.

So I hooked everything back up for the night until I get this figured out. Any advice on how to get around those two issues? I need the a/c because it is hot out here during the day and I gotta have the propane to cook.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't answer number 1 for you (do you not have a selector switch between gas or electric) but number 2- you need to get a plug/cap for the pipe end that is left when you remove the furnace (get one from the place you are taking the furnace) put it on and open tanks. Always check with soapy water.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

I assumed I could buy a plug but was hoping for a hidden valve. Either way, that's an easy day. Regarding electric/propane selection, yes I can select. It is on electric but once I disconnect the wires for the furnace the main thermostat blanks out and won't operate. Looks like the circuit needs to be complete for the thermo to work. Would really like to know if there's a work-around.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably a safety to guarantee that they won't both come on at the same time? Maybe the shop will have some answers for you or you will be relying on fans while the furnace is out.

My brother- in-law had the same issue with propane shutoff for furnace. The only other option is to install a valve now. Just another potential leak.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tim, call Smith Center and I'll bet Ralph can help you or point you in the right direction.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Tim, regarding the A/C not working when the furnace is disconnected. I have to agree with sswilson in that there must be something in the furnace circuitry that satisfies a signal to the t-stat. I've found some wiring and stuff on the RV Comfort HC thermostat from RVcomfort.com. Here's a PDF file that may help. Your thermostat may be different but you still may find more info at their website. HTHs.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Talked to Ralph today. He said to trace the red wire from the thermo and see what color wire it plugs into. Find that wire and connect it to the black wire that connects to the furnace. That should connect 12v and should allow the thermo to work. I am really hesitant because I am horrible with electrical stuff and am afraid I will do something to cause more damage. I would hate to short something out and be without my main a/c during the summer. May just wait a couple more months before I attempt.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
Talked to Ralph today. He said to trace the red wire from the thermo and see what color wire it plugs into. Find that wire and connect it to the black wire that connects to the furnace. That should connect 12v and should allow the thermo to work. I am really hesitant because I am horrible with electrical stuff and am afraid I will do something to cause more damage. I would hate to short something out and be without my main a/c during the summer. May just wait a couple more months before I attempt.
What? I thought "electronics" was your bally wick in the Navy....I must be thinking of someone else.

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

I am a Combat Systems Officer, which is all electronics. With that said I am not a technician. When it comes to circuitry and wiring we might as well be talking about thermodynamics, because I'm clueless! I know just enough to be dangerous which scares me .
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I know just enough to be dangerous which scares me .
And lots of us don't even know that! We're clueless and VERY dangerous!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I am a Combat Systems Officer, which is all electronics. With that said I am not a technician. When it comes to circuitry and wiring we might as well be talking about thermodynamics, because I'm clueless! I know just enough to be dangerous which scares me .
I like a guy that knows his limitations. Your job scares the hell out of me......I guess cause I ain't nothing but a technician!!!! You know IQ-14! Aye-Aye sir.....as you were. Where's the Sarge Ms. Didy when we need her!!!

Oh BTW.......congrats on....you know what! It's a secret at this point!! You da man! rockin' havin' fun!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post

I like a guy that knows his limitations. Your job scares the hell out of me......I guess cause I ain't nothing but a technician!!!! You know IQ-14! Aye-Aye sir.....as you were. Where's the Sarge Ms. Didy when we need her!!!

Oh BTW.......congrats on....you know what! It's a secret at this point!! You da man! rockin' havin' fun!
Thanks Rockin'! Guess I will have to break out the big guns and get to work - yep, the voltmeter and see if I can trace out the hot wire from the thermo. Man, I better have a 12 pack on ice standing by. Oh and I bet Cam will have her pink leather tool belt on with her Black&Decker tools ready to lend a hand.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

Got an update coming real soon and it's a doosy! In the meantime, here's what the inside of my furnace looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2253143678.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	45508

Name:	image-590198075.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	768.2 KB
ID:	45509

Name:	image-3181285747.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	45510

Name:	image-4097397012.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	811.8 KB
ID:	45511

Name:	image-1564655099.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	45512
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Holy Smokes (pun intended). Is that the igniter lead that's so burned up? Keep us updated. Thanks! rockin'