Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
We are shopping for a portable gas grill/bbq

The unit I am liking best (from Camp Chef) says it can be connected to an RV propane source.

My last 5th wheel (keystone) had an outside cook center with a gas connection, but I have not found an external connection on my Excel (truth be told, I haven't looked very hard!)

Does anyone know if an outside connection exists?? and if so, where about can I look for mine?

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club

The unit I am liking best (from Camp Chef) says it can be connected to an RV propane source.

My last 5th wheel (keystone) had an outside cook center with a gas connection, but I have not found an external connection on my Excel (truth be told, I haven't looked very hard!)

Does anyone know if an outside connection exists?? and if so, where about can I look for mine?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #3

I've never seen an external connect on an Excel unit unless it was special ordered and most likely added by the dealer.

2002 Ford F350 V10 2x4
L44SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto 'L44SPD', but I'll ask the question tomorrow since I'm in Smith Center and post an answer tomorrow AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Camp Chef's web site says that from 2004 on, external connectors are standard on all RV's

(but you can't believe all you read on the internet! )

Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
No Excel does not have the External Gas Connection. But with the LP Bottles being split, One on each side, you could convert the one on the door side with a Extend A Flow Plus which the kit has a 12' Appliance Hose. A lot cleaner look as well. You do not have a port connection along your frame or coming out of the side of the coach. A great Option.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto 'wrongway' -- Excel does not install the external LP gas connection. Just confirmed with Ed, Customer Service Center. Dealers will install.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys! we are leaving tomorrow for and extended weekend down in Luray VA and the shenendoah area. This will give me some time with the rig to figure out what we are going to do.

The outside grill is still on a "wish list"

Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
D&J, just a thought, the generator ready units come with a propane riser in the gen compartment. Shouldn't be a real issue to install a Tee and connection in the downstream supply line on either of the tanks.
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D and J:

Does anyone know if an outside connection exists?? and if so, where about can I look for mine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lowe's has a great little gas grill which is made entirely from stainless steel. It works great, is fairly light weight, and is reasonably priced. The brand name is: " BBQ Grillware"¯. This one is worth consideration.

BBQ Grilware

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D and J:

Does anyone know if an outside connection exists?? and if so, where about can I look for mine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lowe's has a great little gas grill which is made entirely from stainless steel. It works great, is fairly light weight, and is reasonably priced. The brand name is: " BBQ Grillware"¯. This one is worth consideration.

BBQ Grilware </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sears had that one on sale here last weekend for 59 bucks. When I brought the DW to the store to show it to her, she grabbed it off the shelf (the display grill) and one of the legs bent when it caught the edge of the shelf.

She thought it would be to "flimsy" to travel with.

Redwing, my unit does have the genorator box, so I'll check this out this weekend.

Thanks all!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
D and J,

It's not flimsy at all, actually well made, the folding leg you mention is thin in order to fold up and make the bottom flat. We have had ours about two years and never experienced a problem. It also gets pretty good mileage.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
D and J,

It's not flimsy at all, actually well made, the folding leg you mention is thin in order to fold up and make the bottom flat. We have had ours about two years and never experienced a problem. It also gets pretty good mileage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just came home from Lowes (had to get some door parts for my stick house) And I looked at that grill. It is not the same as the one I saw at Sears! Doesn't look bad at all.

They also had the grill i wanted to order from Camp Chef in stock. Camp Chef

you can barely tell from the picture, but the legs come off about 6 inches down from the grill so it can be placed on a picnic table. I like the industrial burners! If I take the grill off, I can heat up three pots the size of Lobster pails!

It's a little bit more money, but it can cook with up to 90,000 BTU (Tim Allen grunt inserted here!!)

Doug

Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Doug, you can usually catch the Camp Chef two burner propane stove on sale at Atwoods here in the midwest for around $88.00. We've been carrying one for a couple of years, the griddle is a great asset for group cookouts. The BBQ box works fantastic also, we put lava rocks under the grills, can't tell the difference in cooking over charcoal!

LM
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote