Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Generator for 15000 BTU a/c

Hello All, The question I am asking is: has anyone that has a Honda EU3000is or a Yamaha EF3000ISEB been able to start their 15000 BTU a/c successfully? have a 2005 Excel 33RSE 5th wheel with a 15000 BTU Coleman Mach a/c. I want to use the smallest quietest generator to start it up a few times during the year. I am willing to limit other appliances until the a/c is running. This is just for cooling down the unit for a couple of hours after being on the road. I am able to calculate the loads it will cary for other appliances, but not the capability of the three candidate generators to handle the starting amps of the larger a/c. I have seen others post that twin Honda 2000s will do it, but the noise is louder. Thanks Ken Jonhston
Ken n Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

Wow 2000 honda some say to power a 15000BTU AC.

I suggest one should double that size at least, The battery charger will likely still be on and this would likely increase the load to more than 20A, So I would go for a 5KW unit so you can operate it in mid to range for more efficiency with power to spare.

A 4KW would work OK but if it has a 220vac capability you would have an unbalanced load on the gen if nothing was done to balance the load. Not good for long term operation. Most RV generators are 120Vac only so there is no load balancing requirement. An important factor.

Not certain what the surge current requirement is for the AC but constant would be about 16A plus battery charger etc.

IMHO bottom line: I would never buy a 2000w gen to power a 15000btu AC.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Noted the 3KW option, it would work also but if it is capable of 220vac, one would be working on only one side of the power supplied hence if 220Vac capable, each side would likely be fused @ 15A Or less. Just something ro look out for.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Thanks Librero, To be clear, I am not trying to run 15000 but a/c from a 2000 honda generator. I want to use either the honda or yamaha 3000. However, I have seen posts that claim success from using two honda 2000s coupled for 4000w. I know 4000w will do it, what I don't know is if anyone has had success using a honda or yamaha 3000 series to just power on the a/c only, not run the whole rig..Thanks Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Ken

Understand you were not contemplaring 2KW gen. It was suggested by someone else, The Honda EU3000is you referred to is 120Vac only and it can supply 25A - it should work for your application. It also has a 30A twist plug output, much more secure connection on a vibrating gen
Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

I have owned the Honda EU 3000is for about 8 years and love it. It is heavier than 2 smaller 2KW Hondas combined, and a bit tricky for me to move around.

As far as power, it will start and run a 15K Btu unit with no problem as long as you turn the "ECO" mode off just for starting. If your thermostat has an " AUTO" and "RUN" setting, it helps to set it to "run". Otherwise, both the compressor and the blower motor will start at the same time and create more of a load.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Thanks again Libero, Do you know of anyone that has actually tried this with a actual Honda EU3000is...Thanks Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

Thanks Bluepill, this is great information. I thought it might, but I wanted to hear from a actual user first. I will probably mount it on the rear hitch with a purpose built platform that will support, secure and stablize it. I also plan to use a short cable to run while on the road. Much like another user's posts in this link from Bushman 512003 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/gener...e-96470-2.html Thanks Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #9

I have used my Yamaha 2400 watt gen to run 13,500 btu A/C. I had to turn on the A/C fan then A/C low for 15 seconds then A/C high. The Yamaha 2400 watt generator would run ok. If I turned on the A/C to fast the generator would trip and not run the A/C.

Does anyone know the additional draw between 13,500 and 15,000 btu A/C units.

Can you carry a 3,000 watt gen? If not, I would get the next bigger one to make sure you can run a 15,000 btu A/C unit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with the two Honda EU2000i and a parallel cable. Best pricing I found on the internet was at Wise Equipment. As noted on the weight, a EU2000 weights just over 50#, so it is manageable where an EU3000 is not. Plus it has more capacity and you can run on just one to save fuel if you are not running the A/C.

You can buy some Chinese knock-offs for less, but with the Honda, you get a nation wide service and parts network.

But I don't know if the Hondas will work on an Excel. I use mine on a Cameo.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

A 13500 BTU AC draws about12 - 13A running but about twice that for starting.

A 15000 BTU AC draws about 15-16A running and about double that for starting.

Different models may vary slightly but these ratings will be close.

It is unusual for a coach not to have additiinal current draw other than the AC for things like monitors, battery charging etc, so a 2400w gen is going to have problems with running a 13500 btu AC for an RV with other essential items running also.

Non GFI Circuit breakers normally can handle limited short spikes in current above the rating, I am talking about millisecond or even 1 sec bursts if it is marginally over the rating because it must heat up the breaker enough to trip.

I recommend every RV owner get a kill-a-watt monitor device. I measured my 13500 btu AC @ 13A delta from regular current on run. Was not able to catch the start surge for accurate measurement.

Hope this helps.

My gen is 4KW in my B+ and was 7.5 KW in my A's.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #12

Fyi - the top two generstors are Honda and Yamaha. I looked at how quiet and how easy to start. I give the Yamaha A+ for both. I would expect Honda to be just as good.

Any other generators probably will make more noise.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I went with the two Honda EU2000i and a parallel cable. Best pricing I found on the internet was at Wise Equipment. As noted on the weight, a EU2000 weights just over 50#, so it is manageable where an EU3000 is not. Plus it has more capacity and you can run on just one to save fuel if you are not running the A/C.

You can buy some Chinese knock-offs for less, but with the Honda, you get a nation wide service and parts network.

But I don't know if the Hondas will work on an Excel. I use mine on a Cameo.

Ken
Ken.

Any cons that you would say about the twin 2000's? Bought one when I had a little extra spending money and will probably be getting my next one once I get a little more extra cash.

I believe the 4000w combined should be plenty to run my 13,500 ac yes?

What do you use to secure both of them?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #14

One the escapees.com forums an add selling two Honda 2,000 units is advertised, an extend run tank and companion wiring. I carry one Boliy 3600SI inverter series . I've used it since 08, it will start my 15.5M BTU heat pump whenever needed. When I first received it I tested it at home. It started and operated the 15. M BTU heat pump and after it settled down to running I then started my 13M BTU heat pump. Both ran with a current draw of about 23A. I would never do this while camping, it was only a test that one time. Read the specs for all brands and decide yourself.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator