Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Generator Recommendations??

Hey, does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of generator to put in our L33RSO? We are new to RVing and Excel and there are so many different sizes and kinds of generators out there. Should we go with propane, diesel, gas...........3KW, 4KW, etc? We don't have a washer/dryer in our unit......maybe one day.

Looks like retirement is within our grasp........going to list the house next week and hopefully it will sell quickly.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keep your tip up.

2007 Excel L33RSO
2008 F350 XLT Super Duty SuperCab Turbo Diesel (and partridge in a pear tree)
alaskans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
If you are going to do a lot of boondocking and need the air conditioner. I would go big enough to run the air and microwave at the same time. 6500 watt generator. As for gas, diesal or propane, each have their advantages.

Propane: One fuel, already on fifth wheel. A 500 watt loss in the power supplied compared to gas or diesal. Downside is you will use lots of propane.

Gas/Diesal: Good sources for power but you will need to carry fuel for each.

If you are only going to need power once in awhile, I would consider one of the Honda quite generators. They make them from 1000 watts to 6500 watts. All are rated less then 60 db for noise level. This is normal talking volume. All use gas and are cheap to run. My 2000 watt Honda will run for 8 hours with just the TV and charger/convertor on

Also do a search as this has been cover many times over.

Hope this helps.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
If you are only going to need power once in awhile, I would consider one of the Honda quite generators. They make them from 1000 watts to 6500 watts. All are rated less then 60 db for noise level. This is normal talking volume. All use gas and are cheap to run. My 2000 watt Honda will run for 8 hours with just the TV and charger/convertor on.
I familar with several people that are using two 2000 watt versions. They set them up either on the back of the trailer or in the truck bed. When searching, look in the TT & Fifth Wheel forums here on IRV2. Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #4

When we owned our 5r I researched this topic and came up with this plan. Placing a 55-6500 Onan or Honda in the back of the truck with a fuel cell would be a great set up. No concern about fumes, quiet, and spreads the weight out.
Personally I would stay away from propane as it is about half as efficient as diesel which would be my first choice. Hope this helps.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I have a Boliy generator that is Chinese built generator. It weights 70 lbs. and 59 db sound level. It is gas powered and I paid $850.00 when i bought it a couple of years ago. I built a stand in the front bay where I can lock the top bay and leave the bottom open for the exhaust to exit. I also put a 120 volt fan behind it to make sure the fumes exit the bay. I also put in a extra carbon detector in the bottom bay for extra protection. It runs my 15K air. It is not electric start, which I wish it was, but then that would cost more and weigh more. This is a cheap power source but reliable.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I bought my Honda 2000 from Mayberry's, online about 3 years ago. It is quiet compared to others I have heard. I used it this morning for the first time in over a year. I had to pull it 6 times for it to start. Only 6 times after more than a year, same gas!

Like Larry said, if I thought I needed the AC, I would buy a BIG Honda with an electric start and have it built in the front box and wired direct. It will cost you a little more but you will never regret having spent the money. If you decide you only want to cover emergencies like we do, my advice is to buy the Honda 2000. It weighs less than 50 lbs. Mine has been bulletproof so far.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
There are many different opinions on this subject. However........

We bought our Excel to fulltime. Read: To be where we don't drive in snow and don't generally need A/C. We have the washer/dryer and, for us, that means full hookups (elecric/sewer/water). After watching the forums and rereading manufacturer's specs too many times I bought a Honda 2000, figuring that if I needed more power later I'd add another (that hasn't happened yet.). It's light enough to handle with one hand, relatively quiet, economic to run, and (like the man said) bulletproof. I've put nearly 1,000 hrs. on it in two years with only oil changes and one (mfg. recommended) cylinder cleaning.

Figure out how much power you'll really use if you do a bit of budgeting/allocation of available wattage. Consider the weight of the generator as well as the fuel to run it, and how you'll carry it.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on this. Happy travels.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think that we are leaning towards the Honda 2000. We have had a Honda 1000 for four years to use at our cabin to recharge batteries and run the TV. We really like it and it is so dependable. Is it possible to pair it with the 2000?

Thanks so much.

Stephany

2007 Excel L33RSO
2008 F350 XLT Super Duty SuperCab Turbo Diesel (and partridge in a pear tree)
alaskans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskans View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think that we are leaning towards the Honda 2000. We have had a Honda 1000 for four years to use at our cabin to recharge batteries and run the TV. We really like it and it is so dependable. Is it possible to pair it with the 2000?

Thanks so much.

Stephany
Good question. I don't have the answer but I would call Honda support to find out. I have not heard of any one doing that. it has always been 2000 to 2000, 3000 t0 3000. Never even heard of anyone pairing 2 1000's together.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

You can pair the Honda 2000's and it works well. Quality products. Like you we used a little Honda 1000 to keep our pellet stove going during power outages back in the stick and brick days. You might check on some of those Chinese genny's as I have heard some good things and you might save a few bucks in the process.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
We bought this one

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productd...goryCode=3483C

It is a Chinese generator, so it is not as sexy as others and a little louder when idling but not bad. These gensets have developed quite a following over at http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15131645.cfm

Mine runs my AC and I have no complaints about it, I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Honda 2000 with the parallel kit but just didn't feel good about the price of the amount of time I would be using it. So a friend that had a Honda and sold it to purchase the Champion told me about them and I snatched one up. I know of about a half a dozen people that own them and I haven't heard any complaint from anyone yet.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We have 2 Honda 2000 with parallel kit so we can run 1 ac unit if needed. I run just one to charge batteries and small draw units. I paid $900@ 2 years ago. They work well but haven't needed them often. I carry them on my truck to keep weight off trailer although they are only 46# @
I saw a Honeywell 2000 at home Depot last week for $300. I did not have time to investigate but looked similar to my Hondas. It might be worth your time to research.
dream reachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #13

I have a Yamaha 2000 watt generator. Works great but I need double the power. I am trying to sell it to buy two Champion 2000 watt generators which I will parallel together. 2 Champions is cheaper than one Yamaha. Does anyone know if you can run a Champion and a Yamaha in parallel if they are both 2000 watts. I haven't bought the parallel kit yet so I don't even know if they are universal or not.
Pete61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete61 View Post
I have a Yamaha 2000 watt generator. Works great but I need double the power. I am trying to sell it to buy two Champion 2000 watt generators which I will parallel together. 2 Champions is cheaper than one Yamaha. Does anyone know if you can run a Champion and a Yamaha in parallel if they are both 2000 watts. I haven't bought the parallel kit yet so I don't even know if they are universal or not.
I don't think the Champion's can be paralleled. Only same model inverter generators can be pararlleled