Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Bryan Tillett! Okay folks, we've got the whole story on tire, axle, and Excel coach weights and how they are 'individually' derived. I'm satisfied that PI has designed and produced a 5th wheel coach that will accommodate reasonable additional personal effects/add-ons.

Bottom line, it's our responsibility to ensure our tires are maintained in accordance with Goodyear's "Recreational Vehicle Tire And Care Guide" and the specific G614 tire guidelines. Routinely weigh your rigs and ensure even distribution of additional weight whenever possible.

In my younger days , I was responsible for computing the weight/balance of cargo aircraft before, during, and after a flight. I guess I need to get my old slip-stick out! This #@%# RVing can be almost as complicated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #58

Excel Owners Club
Does anybody know what temperature on the sidewall would constitute a concern?

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
I've got some input on the temperature(s) question that was in the Escapees' thread on this subject. Contributed by a tire technician to our on-going discussion on that forum. "Dangerous temperatures on any tire are 185+ degrees (F) with normal operating temperatures 100-175 degrees (F),(depending on road conditions/surface (asphalt, concrete, rough, smooth) and ambient temperature.

Tires will start to delaminate on the top belts at approx 210-degrees (F) and will fail at 235-degrees (F). Take your IFR temperature measurements from about 1/2" - 1" from the outer and inner edges of the tire. This is the area in which a tire will retain the most heat and is what the manufacturers call the belt edge region."
Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #60

Excel Owners Club
I copied this from the Escapees G614 tire discussion today.......

"My buddy is camped out at the Pilot in Ocala with two blown G614's. He drove 29 miles when the first one went and then drove another 109 miles when the second one went. He is not sure of his axle weights and will scale the rig tomorrow morning. He said after the first blowout the other three had 110 lbs so they were probably a "little" low seeing as they had warmed up for 29 miles. One was on the drivers side, the other on the passenger. The first one did not do much damage, the second did quite a bit from the sounds of it.

These tires were on a 36' Excel tandem axle rig. The date codes were 2205 so they are about two years old.

The saga continues
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #61

Excel Owners Club
Just an update on tire temps. We are in Reno this afternoon, and the ambient is 98-99*F. While on the road all day we stopped in a rest stop just east of Reno. Put the infra thermometer on the all tires. On the trailer, temps were 150*-156*. I checked the asphalt pavement in the sun and it was 130*! Wow that will make you think twice about cresting that hill and running that steep grade going 75 or 80 at the bottom!
I know that not excess heat for the conditions, but makes me a little nervous with my 0604 date coded tires. That's ONE reason we drive like old folks usually doing 57-62 MPH as a rule, especially in hot weather.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #62

Excel Owners Club
Funny you should post on this subject today. We drove from Suches to Statesville, NC today. I used my infrared thermometer today for the first time. Ambient temp was around 90, the asphalt was 105 and the Goodyears on the Excel showed at 152-156.

I shot my temps on the tread. The temperature of the sidewalls was 15 to 20 degrees less.

Did you shoot your temps on the tread?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #63

Excel Owners Club
Now Virg.....I'm not hittin' on ya!!! Just kiddin'

I measured the tread on the second rib in. This is where GY sez to check. Supposed to be the highest temp spot... whatever!

I was questioning my infra red on the asphalt temp at 130* but when I walked I was sinking in it....but as Chief can atest "I'm a big ol' boy"! No more dream comments...I promise. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
All right, you gotta remember I was born in South GA and we're a little slower to catch on than most so........it that the second tread in from the outside or from the inside of the tire as it's mounted on the trailer?

ON EDIT---IF I had only gone back and re-read the previous page of this thread??? Oh well, now you really know about my IQ level
Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #65

Excel Owners Club
Either one southern boy....I use the outside tread 'cause it is easier to get to!

BTW...I'm a country boy IQ 14. Glad to know you! Tom
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #66

Excel Owners Club
Virgil, I was going to email you and ask if you had any problems with the g614 on your 36 limited and happened to come across your message. Just had a G614 tire separation and it did whip up and damaged part of my wheel areas and separated the wiring for the slide out.--- excel CLO36 Limited. The major problem I had was FINDING another tire. Drove from Kalamazoo, Mi to Madison Wi until I found a dealer who had four in stock. Not taking anymore chances, I purchased two of them.

The goodyear dealer said he will send a report on the tire and let me know about any corrections. Lucky I had a good spare, but after the tire separation, to say the least, I was somewhat tense while driving w/o a spare.

The info from Madison is that so many RV Dealers are ordering the G16 in lots and not many tires are reaching the retailer, hence a shortage is being created.This dealer received four for his quota.

Wished I had seen your post earlier.

Things are moving along with the limited and we like it more and more as we use it. Did have a sudden leak around the first rectangle light just above the bdrm stairs WHEN WE WERE IN A DOWNPOUR in Wisconsin. Haven't found the source of leakage yet---it has not leaked since even in heavy rains. Discovered the value of the air suspension for the rear kitchen---forgot to inflate the system when we moved a short distance and now Sandy's china is not all with us. Ah these golden non-forgetful years. I will be closing things in MI this winter and Sandy is going to be in the limited for the winter in Fl---really gives me an incentive to get with it.Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #67

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Just had a G614 tire separation and it did whip up and damaged part of my wheel areas and separated the wiring for the slide out.---
Let me guess the position...Front, driver's side?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #68

Excel Owners Club
"Give the Man a golden star"---right on.How about teaching me how you knew? Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #69

Excel Owners Club
I knew because we have the same L36CLO as you and I've been shooting tire temps at every reststop. That position, driver's side front has been much hotter than the other 3 positions. It must be a weight issue. This tells me I need to try to do something about the weight on that tire but it is under the sofa slide with the fireplace and TV...what can be done there?
I can only make sure I have that position at 110psi. Maybe Brian will read this and give us some idea about how to avoid blowouts like you experienced.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #70

Excel Owners Club
Good morning.... My suggestion would be to take an individual weight of your left front tire. If the weight exceeds the 3750# that the tire is rated for, Michelin is now making a 17.5" "H" rated tires. They are the same overall diameter, although you can't mix them with the G614's. The "H" rated tires have a rating of 4805# at 115PSI. Goodyear also makes the same tire but we (Peterson Ind.) don't have access to it through our supplier.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote