Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hand Soap Dispenser Delimma in the Utility Bay

Since this forum is a bit slow, I run this by ya. Our Charm came with a hand soap dispenser in the bay area. When new, I filled it with some cheap Wally World hand soap and after about a year, I noticed the soap had become brown and thick. Took the dispenser out and clean it and put some name brand soap in it. Problem solved. About 6-7 months later I've noticed the same thing happening. The last soap I put in was clear originally, now brown. What the heck? After giving it some thought, I wonder if the fact that the dispenser is closely mounted to the furnace vent feeding the utility center. I've noticed that when it's cold out and we run the furnace a lot, when I open that bay door it pretty darn warm in there. Do you think the issue could be thermal cycling of that soap? What else could it be? Anyone else had this issue? Oh, the woes of fulltiming!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3039.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	126600  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Are you worried about it?? Mine does the same. I just don't use since I wear heavy rubber gloves when handle the sewer hose.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I didn't even bother to fill the dispenser. I keep a bottle of the hand sanitizer in the bay and also wear heavy rubber gloves.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
As you can tell I was just trying to get some action on this forum!!! I use gloves too, but do use the dispenser. Just a little anal, ya know!

I also have a bottle of Lava liquid velcroed to the utility area for greasy hands. Not shown in pic.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
JDT

My lowly Winslow did not come with a soap dispenser. I guess it's just as well. However, some leftover soap in the dispensers we keep inside have done the same thing. Nasty looking stuff but I assume it's still soap. Can't get the wife to use it so out it goes. Keep the issues coming, Tom. This site needs a little excitement.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Jim. Good info. We have a large bottle of liquid hand soap (opened) in the linen closet that's been there for at least a year. No problem.....wonder if it has something to do with being in the dispenser itself. Hmmmm. Boy this is getting interesting!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

Who would guess Google couldn't come up with an answer, asked liquid soap turning dark and thick....

My guesses would be the cycling of warmth and cooling.... if the lid is not tight, evaporation of the 'carrier' for the soap 'stuff'.... the effects of being exposed to light, not in a dark container. And my DW's first thought would be...no expiration date, it must be bad!

Other than that...guess I need to go buy gloves and some soap.

workhorse
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Gosh we miss you workhorse! Only you would work like that on my delimma!!!

My wife's theory.....it may be my breath!!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

Didn't have to think that hard... working on the Alpenlite for the 1st trip of the year and admiring the new Pivot EZ setup (no gloves or soap required ) and when you include an Adult Beverage, these things just come to me!

DW wasn't here to comment, so just spoke on her behalf....

workhorse
Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

It's a soap dispenser? Sheesh. I thought it was hose connector lubricant.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, you're work to hard! I'm still trying to figure out how to inspect my black tank.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #12

Boss doesn't worry about the dumping, just rinsed his hands off with water than uses some hand sanitizer. So far I've not been able to collect the insurance.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Clean out the dispenser and put hand sanitizer in it.

Hand sanitizer won't discolor and will do as good or better job than the brown soap.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Doc! I saw a Dr. Phil show where a gal was addicted to alcohol, and when she couldn't get it she drank hand sanitizer. Isn't that addictive too? :-) Couldn't get emoticons to work!