Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Heading south for a week

DW and I are going to be hooking up and heading to South Carolina this evening. DW has training/meetings at work, all next week.. Wouldn't you know, we would pick the coldest day/night of the year?? Forecast lows where we are at now, are supposed to be -6*F..

We;ll be stopping and boondocking along the way somewhere. I'll get the chance to test-out the pair of GC2's that I installed today! If it gets too cold and the batteries don't last the night, I chained the generator in the bed of the truck.. Just in case..

We'll be staying at Lake Aire RV park, in Hollywood, SC.. If you're close, give us a shout!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

I assume you'll keep the trailer winterized until you reach warmer weather, otherwise you'll need your genset, some extension cords and heaters to keep from freezing up overnight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I assume you'll keep the trailer winterized until you reach warmer weather, otherwise you'll need your genset, some extension cords and heaters to keep from freezing up overnight.
We had the furnace running during the trip down, but didn't de-winterize until we got down here. It was a beautiful 76* here on Sunday, but it's been cool and wet since. They are also calling for over an inch of rain here tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
We had the furnace running during the trip down, but didn't de-winterize until we got down here. It was a beautiful 76* here on Sunday, but it's been cool and wet since. They are also calling for over an inch of rain here tomorrow.
Are our rigs actually designed to run the propane heater while in motion? Living in Texas I haven't paid much attention to this.
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

doesn't hurt anything but have never seen a need to. We just don't dewinterize until we get to warmer weather. If you dewinterize & run into weather things won't freeze up while on the road for a couple of hours or so & then you kick on furnace, fireplace or extra heater for the sit down time. And that gets you by till next sit down. Course we don't run all day. Retired not in a hurry. :-)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #6

PS our slide covers our living area registers, and the big slide blocks, somewhat, the register that comes out by stove. Leaves just register in front of sink & the bedroom register open When slides are in.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

I was wondering about that too, but I don't think it's a problem. I believe most travel with their gas refrigerators running. Of course there are also folks that won't travel with the propane even turned on.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

As noted, unless your floor registers are covered while driving it is-according to the furnace mfgrs, OK to run it while driving. If you are uncomfortable running the furnace while driving, just hang a sheet between the sidewalls behind the driver N passenger seats and use the dash heater.
Be aware that only the onboard furnace will provide heat to the holding tanks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you are uncomfortable running the furnace while driving, just hang a sheet between the sidewalls behind the driver N passenger seats and use the dash heater.
This option is not available to us fifth wheelers.

My one slide also covers over two of the heat registers, but does not restrict air flow. They just warm up the floor of the slide.

We had two reasons for wanting to run the heat this trip.

1) Outside temps were in the -6 to +11* range and we wanted the coach warmed up, for when we wanted to stop and rest.

2) We have a cat that will not ride in the tow vehicle, under any circumstances. She does love riding in the fifth wheel and under the covers on the bed.