Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the reply! I have an extended air nozzle 48" should work good for this job. We have air line and tank on the freightliner so not a problem with air. I'll try and stay away from the lint storm.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Terri View Post
John just cleaned our vents yesterday. He adds a blow nozzle on to our air compressor hose and blows out the interior vent area. After cleaning the drum out of lint pieces, he turns the dryer on. Then goes outside to blow lint out of the outside vent. Warning, you will get a bath in lint. This system has worked really well for us. We usually clean the vents this way at least 2 to 3 times a year.
I decided to go out and take a look at this situation myself. I must say I agree all that you said. I took some pix to show what I saw and did. Remember our rig is only 6 weeks old. Check out the lint in the outside vent and take not that we are anal about cleaning the drum filter after every load. I simply ran the dryer and blew my 135 lbs compressor air in the outside dryer vent. And yes, you do get a lint bath!!! My lovely bride made me take off my t-shirt outside and shake it out, before coming inside. I may put this 5 minute chore on my monthly calendar list!!!

BTW.....we love the Whirlpool stackable W/D......but do miss the storage we would have got from that closet!!! It's a love-hate relationship for sure. Maybe someday they'll put them in the ceiling or something....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 001 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	148
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	10964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 004 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	158
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	10965  

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 005 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	122
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	10966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 007 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	126
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	10967  

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 006 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	170
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	10968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm Dryer Vent Cleaning 008 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	146
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	10969  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
I think I would cut the pressure dwon to 40 lbs. or so. This might cut down on the lint bath. Tom, you could just blow the lint off your clothes outside the rig and Donna wouldn't know that you done anything!
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Still, I think you be right again.......40 lbs. it is...in the future. You are awfully smart there ol' boy!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #19

You know, that vent's similar to the one on our fiver, Rockin'. Last time I was at the dealer, I had them cut as much of that grate out as they could. I now get up on a stepladder every once in a while and clean out any lint with an old toothbrush. David
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
You know, that vent's similar to the one on our fiver, Rockin'. Last time I was at the dealer, I had them cut as much of that grate out as they could. I now get up on a stepladder every once in a while and clean out any lint with an old toothbrush. David
Thanks Davy,

I just hafta wonder why they have that grate cause when the dryer is not exhausting air the trap door shuts to keep out the birds and all. Maybe it just one more step in case the flap-trap fails. Can't think of another reason. It sho ain't no spark arrester!!!

After thinkin' about it awhile.....those darn birds can be purdy sneaky and can work that flap with their beak....maybe....not real sure on this one. rockin'
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #21

Too Much Hose!!

Well, the RV tech came by yesterday evening and we discovered hopefully the problem.

After removing the outside vent, he couldn't believe what he saw. The tubing from the dryer to the outside vent was at least a foot to long. There was a ball of lint about the size of your fist inside the tubing along with the vent completely clogged.

He cut the tubing so it ran straight from the dryer exhaust to the outside vent. The tubing was all twisted and balled up causing lint to accumulate.

It may not cause a fire but for sure it takes longer to dry clothes when you dryer is not venting properly. Longer drying, less full-time RV'ing and relaxing.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou316 View Post
Well, the RV tech came by yesterday evening and we discovered hopefully the problem.

After removing the outside vent, he couldn't believe what he saw. The tubing from the dryer to the outside vent was at least a foot to long. There was a ball of lint about the size of your fist inside the tubing along with the vent completely clogged.

He cut the tubing so it ran straight from the dryer exhaust to the outside vent. The tubing was all twisted and balled up causing lint to accumulate.

It may not cause a fire but for sure it takes longer to dry clothes when you dryer is not venting properly. Longer drying, less full-time RV'ing and relaxing.
Thanks for the update bayou.......good info. Sounds like you're back to drying clothes again! We have been quite impressed with the performance of our new Whirlpool stackables. We had heard many stories of poor performance (little load in the washer-long drying times) in the past......that we didn't expect much and they have exceeded our expectations.

I just wonder if the outside vent grate had been cleaned out on a regular basis and not allowed to plug and/or have restricted flow.....if the vent hose would have not had a chance to ball up the lint?......sorry poor ol' mind works like that, just a bit over analytical I'd say!!! rockin'
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks for the update bayou.......good info. Sounds like you're back to drying clothes again! We have been quite impressed with the performance of our new Whirlpool stackables. We had heard many stories of poor performance (little load in the washer-long drying times) in the past......that we didn't expect much and they have exceeded our expectations.

I just wonder if the outside vent grate had been cleaned out on a regular basis and not allowed to plug and/or have restricted flow.....if the vent hose would have not had a chance to ball up the lint?......sorry poor ol' mind works like that, just a bit over analytical I'd say!!! rockin'

I asked the tech the same question. However, I am a little OCD when it comes to those kind of things.

We've only been full-time for about five months and we clean the interior lent trap constantly. I have spoken to other 5ver's and their outside vent is different than our design. I really believe that since our vent hose from the dryer to the outside was at least a foot too long; this caused 99% of the problem. The hose was kinked not allowing enough exhaust (lint) to escape. Enough lint must have gotten by to at least clog the grate plus allow a ball of lint to build up.

If you get a chance, check the length of your exhaust (vent) hose. Would like to know how many others are designed like that.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Update of Dryer Outside Vent Issue

I know this is a old post but thought I'd update it just the same. After using our dryer for about a year and half, I've found that even taking every other plasitic sections out of the vent grid to allow for better flow, the vent still gets fairly packed up with lint. We are religious about cleaning the lint filter after every use. The pic below shows the build up after 1 months use. I still run the dryer and blow out the vent grid with compressed air as I've done before. It is amazing how much lint gets in there. My point is to remember (I set it on my calendar once a month) to clean out the vent. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Excel Outside Dryer Vent 006 (Copy).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	25603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Outside Dryer Vent 007 (Copy).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	25604  

Name:	Excel Outside Dryer Vent 010 (Copy).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	25605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Outside Dryer Vent 011 (Copy).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	25606  

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #25

Funny that this should come up. I was just outside looking at our vent and decided I need to clean it too.